488 Turbo | FerrariChat

488 Turbo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Micheal Sanchez, May 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Micheal Sanchez

BANNED

May 16, 2020
    Miami fl
    Full Name:
    Micheal sanchez
    Good morning,

I need a lh turbo for my 488 gtb wondering if you might have any suggestions. dealership is charging 15k for a new one and used is 9k from what I've found.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Sorry..but you own a 300k car. 15k should be chump change..

3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Replace both of them with Garrett turbos and get a tune. Probably the same money and you can make more hp in the process.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

$15,000 is quite a hit. What is the car's mileage? What date did the car originally go into service?

5. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    While he could probably afford it, trying to find a less costly alternative is always wise. Wealthy folks are less likely to stay wealthy if they don’t watch their spending.
    Also, OP financial situation might have been affected by recent world events.

Gn_, Monsieur Yoge, VAF84 and 6 others like this.
  6. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Curious on the cars year?

7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    15k is 15 k no matter how much you can afford and has no bearing on the anything else.....

Ruperto, Gn_, Monsieur Yoge and 10 others like this.
  8. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    curious about miles and year as well... I saw a 488 on the lift at the independent shop I take my car he said the car was getting a new turbo and blamed it on dealer not using high quality enough oil on annual changes.

9. Micheal Sanchez

BANNED

May 16, 2020
    Miami fl
    Full Name:
    Micheal sanchez
    #9 Micheal Sanchez, May 18, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
    It's a 2017 with 8000 miles

10. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    IMO

You should ask the Dealership that serviced the car the 1st 3 years of its life to go to FNA and ask for assistance. **

3 years and 8,000 miles is surprising.

S

** Assuming you are the 1st owner or purchased the car from the Dealership directly.

LARRYH, wrs and Micheal Sanchez like this.
  11. Micheal Sanchez

BANNED

May 16, 2020
    Miami fl
    Full Name:
    Micheal sanchez
    Being able to pay 15k for a turbo does not mean I should or would, I actually purchased it today from a place called E&D quality auto parts. I have never heard of them in my life but my technician gave me the info. I emailed them with my specs and I got a response within an hour 8k for a NEW OEM FERRARI TURBO sorry for the caps I'm still a little shocked. Either way car should be ready my Thursday. I want to thank everyone for their input and suggestions.

bluesea likes this.
  12. Micheal Sanchez

BANNED

May 16, 2020
    Miami fl
    Full Name:
    Micheal sanchez
    I am the second owner, I tried going to the dealership but it was a nightmare so I ended up taking it to Fiorano Motorsports in Doral.

Andrew Pour and SAFE4NOW like this.
  13. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    2017 488GTB with 8,000 miles shouldn't have issues like this.....Just my .02
    Hope all is great for you and the car going forward. I love the 488's...just gorgeous cars!

Micheal Sanchez and LARRYH like this.
  14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I understand my comment comes across are very crass. However when purchasing an expensive car, certain expensive repairs are going to be required.

No matter how much wealth a person may have, the time will come when they must write the big cheque to pay for repairs for the toy they have chosen to buy.

Big boy toys need a big boy wallet..that's just the way of the game.

15. mustangtornado

Dec 19, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jay
    a good reason to shell out for the extended warranties I suppose.

RaceMX-M3 and Viperjoe like this.
  16. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    And also assuming the car has a clean title (Not rebuilt). Was the car ever involved in an accident? If the car has not been wrecked and has been serviced annually by a Ferrari dealer you may be able to get FNA to assist with the repair.

Feel free to message me your VIN. If I have that I can tell you when the original warranty started. I would be happy to run and send you a carfax on the car as well.

LARRYH and SAFE4NOW like this.
  17. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Nope. Warranties with Ferrari (most manufacturers) are not worth it. There was an extensive thread on this a while back. OP got unlucky but not worth it to get the warranty.

up4speed likes this.
  18. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Maybe you aren't paying much attention to prices these days but a 488 isn't a 300k car these days. Not even close, more like 210-220k.

Ash Patel likes this.
  19. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Not to replace a turbo after 8k miles, that's BMW bad.

Monsieur Yoge and LARRYH like this.
  20. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Before everyone starts blaming Ferrari lets find out when (and if) the warranty expired, does the car have a clean title (did the car get wrecked and now has a rebuilt title rebuilt for example ), and has the car been serviced annually. There are a lot of unknowns here.

LARRYH and SAFE4NOW like this.
  21. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    One way for turbos to fail is if the car is driven hard and not allowed to cool down before turning the engine off. I was always told with a turbo car at the track, don't just come in and shut it off, drive it around to cool it off some. Not sure if this is true or part of the consideration here but that is the only way I have heard of turbos failing with few miles on them.

LARRYH, SAFE4NOW and mdrums like this.
  22. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    thats bad news to hear a turbo is out at 8k of miles,was it ever even serviced?was the eng oil very low ?has anyone else on this forum had any turbo concerns on there 488?

23. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    There’s another option, if I may: rebuild the one that has gone bad (assuming it hasn’t suffered a catastrophic, explosive and uncontained failure).

Modern Ferraris are pretty solid and reliable, the 488 being no exception. A turbo failure at such low mileage, to me at least, points more to deficient lubrication or other manufacturing defect/hidden design flaw than to negligent use of the car. The problem is proving it.

For sure incorrect understanding by a driver of how a turbo works may mean trouble with age and mileage, but even if relatively abused, a turbo shouldn’t give out at 8.000 miles. It should be able to cope with it, troubles coming further down the road (no pun intended), not now.

The car has barely gone out of warranty, and original factory warranty is planned according to parts withstanding abuse and taking it, otherwise dealers would go bust just by the cost of replacing parts for “free”.

If I’m not mistaken, 488 turbos are manufactured by Honeywell. Have you tried to contact them directly?

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    So this was exactly what I brought up when the turbos came out. $15k/side and when the music stops someone has to pay. Even a rebuild is labor intensive. That's why these small engine turbos after a period of time are to be avoided in the used market IMO.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.