Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 172 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    Nice show. Sound really good. It doesn’t look like they are following the manufacturer rpm limit for break in.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    The US spec F8 paddle shifter is suited for the 10 and 2 steering grip but not as good for the 3 and 9 drivers because it is short. Easy enough to swap these for longer ones. Carbonio makes a good one, easy swap like for my sim racing rig. I think Euro spec ones have the ( proper) longer paddle shifters as stock.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

elmadi, Bas, Ash Patel and 2 others like this.
  3. TWCC

TWCC Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Abu Dhabi, here's the walk around video

4. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Definitely Blu Abu Dhabi

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Such a good looking car!

6. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    There is no break in period for Ferrari. Just make sure the car is warmed up and you are all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PTG1 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  7. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Everything from shoes to baseball gloves to cars needs to break in.

PTG1 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  9. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The large carbon fibre paddles are a $2000 CAD option over the smaller carbon fibre paddles. Carbonio charges $850US.

11. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
  12. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    I couldn’t find anything on a break in period in the manual. What did it say?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This is what really annoys me with Ferrari - they build clear dysfunction into the car and then make you pay to get rid of it. I mean fancy putting paddles like that into the car to begin with. Like seriously.

I guess the upside is that you actually can fix this particular fault where as with others it isn't possible.

14. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    I just went through all of the manuals and there is nothing on a break in. I also spoke to my dealer and as long as the fluids and car is warmed up, you should be good to go. I am never crazy with the car, but have taken it to 7500 RPMs on acceleration. It’s my baby, so just want to make sure I am not hurting her ;). Please let me know where it is. I now have 360 seriously happy miles on the car...

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I agree. It is undeniably annoying. Firstly , the large paddles should be standard in a car of this expense. Furthermore, the difference in cost between the standard carbon fibre to the larger paddles is miniscule. Certainly not $1800 US

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I think if there's nothing in the manual you've just got to apply common sense. Chances are they forgot to put it in - wouldn't surprise me. But to take a page out of Pista's manual (re the recommended run in), it says don't exceed 5000 rpms for the first 1000km. This is pretty easy to do given the engine has so much torque. So again it comes down to exercising restraint and applying a just a little bit of common sense.

17. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    My apologies as I am not referring to break in for F8. Here is page 142 explaining the break in limit for 812. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Thanks, very helpful. Unfortunately I exceeded it so hopefully no harm. Will keep it before 5000 RPM for next 300 miles.

19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yes I was blown away with the sheer stupidity of these dysfunctional paddles in the 488 but to now seen the exact same fault perpetuated into the F8 simply beggars belief.

You would honestly think making a blunder of this nature would have be bad enough in itself but to then add further insult to injury by placing a ridiculous price tag on the cure pretty well says it all I'm afraid.

It just goes to show stupidity along with a lack of moral decency has no bounds where making money is concerned.

20. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Silly question, but you don’t think I hurt the car do you? I have maybe done 5 or 6 fast accelerations on the car so far. Sorry, yes paranoid for sure.

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #4297 Shadowfax, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Probably not, but in turbocharged applications where the rings may not yet have proper depth of seat, high boost loads are best avoided. Any combustion gas passing the ring seal will burn away the lubricant behind the ring which can cause adhesion/scuffing of the bore. This is why most manufacturers will advise not to overload or load up the engine at high rpms until a certain mileage has been reached. Revving the engine under lighter loads at this time is desirable as the lesser combustion pressures won't breach the seal of the rings during the run in phase. Today's high tech engine components also run tighter clearances and will maintain the clearance over the life of the component due to the finishes of the surfaces so on turbocharged applications even though the rings achieve seal much earlier there is a phase where the ring will achieve full seal depth. That said the components are very durable as seen by examples where engines have been driven at full load and rpm without issue.

I recall my test drive of an F8 on circuit where the car was delivered brand new and was put to track work with no mercy and had no issue over the course of the day whatsoever. That said who knows how long it will maintain reliability vs the engine which followed run in procedure. There is no given quantity here. Failures are determined on a case by case basis and whilst the risk is clearly minimal for failure in this instance there is always a risk which is why run in procedures are advised.

Scudmsl likes this.
  22. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Really appreciate the answer, super helpful. I’m going to keep it low on RPM for the remaining 300 miles. Hopefully I did no harm to her. Fantastic car!

23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    the car is 99.999% fine. There’s two camps of guys. Some say it’s better for the engine to step on it day one. In all seriousness I don’t think you’d notice any issue, if there was one, for 100k miles.

24. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    The carbon fibre driver zone also includes the tach surround. Not saying it now justifies the $2k CAD upcharge, but it does include more than just paddles.