Don Shula 1930-2020 | FerrariChat

Don Shula 1930-2020

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Gatorrari, May 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The greatest coach in Dolphins history has gone to be with Warner, Rockne, Lombardi and the rest of his peers. Rest in Peace, coach!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Albert-LP and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Even though he won 2 SB's, I think he may be the most underrated coach of all-time, or one of...

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I don't think he was considered "underrated" was he?
    I always thought he was considered one of the greatest (of his time).
    RIP Don.

Go Fins!

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Considering the length of his tenure, his greatest asset seemed to be his ability to adjust with the times and with his personnel. In the early '70s, they were a running team, the first to have two 1000-yard rushers in the same season (which was only 14 games then). But with Marino, they became the first team to have a 5000-yard passing season, with 48 touchdown passes, shattering the prior record. He had the odd losing season but always seemed to adjust and get the team back to winning form. And they really have never been able to accomplish that with any consistency since his retirement!

5. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Same with Dallas and Jimmy Johnson... (aside from winning the SB the year after Jimmy left - with all of Jimmy's players)

6. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    When 'great coaches' discussions come up, he isn't honored like he should be.

It always seems to be Bill Walsh, Chuck Noll, Vince Lombardi, Bill Belichick...

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    17-0! Now that's great enough 4 me.

Whisky likes this.
  8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think that's because he only won two Super Bowls and had a losing record in them. But any single game, even the SB, can be a crap shoot where the difference between winning and losing can be a hair's breadth. In the Marino years, the problem was that the defense was always good but never quite good enough. (To me the "Killer B's" were colorful but overrated.) But at least he succeeded where Belichick failed - completing the perfect season!

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Not a lot of people know this but Bear Bryant accepted the head coaching position at Miami but changed his mind and decided to stay at Alabama.

Shula was hired and the rest, for the both of them, is history

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The Dolphins were accused of tampering when they talked with Shula while he was still coaching Baltimore, and the Dolphins had to forfeit their first-round draft pick in 1971 to the Colts. So Shula was effectively Miami's first-round draft pick in '71 - arguably the best first-round draft pick in team history!