488 - Car bubble | FerrariChat

488 Car bubble

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by APPLECO1, May 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. APPLECO1

APPLECO1 Rookie

Dec 18, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    Full Name:
    JOHN
    Does anybody have experience storing their car in a contained wrap,bubble,capsule?
    Living on the beach the salt air will get on my car in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Even in the garage? Wow..... I can understand your concerns. I hope someone can help you....

3. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I lived on the water for 15 years...never an issue with cars in the garage. I’m currently 5 miles from the ocean and no problem

4. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    We have a full size bubble inside the workshop for 56653. Love it. Made by Car Capsule.

Solid State likes this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Salt air no bueno for most things over time. Car bubbles will help with dust and spray but I think all of them use some kind of fan that blows outside air into the bubble to keep it inflated. It would have to have a way to pull the salt out of the air before pushing it into the semi-sealed bubble.

6. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I would install a salt/marine filter over the external intake.

7. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I while ago I kept a Ruf BTR in a car bubble. I found it difficult to get the cover over the car without dragging the zipper on the paint. I killed it by backing up onto the floor section and touching the exhaust pipe on the clear bubble part that was laying on the floor and melting a big hole in it. Also the clear part lays on the floor next to the car when not in use and got very dusty. Maybe static causes this to happen. Dust was the main reason I bought the bubble as I kept the car in an old converted barn. Good idea, but I found it difficult to use.

8. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Ocean is a few hundred yards from house that I have lived at for 25 years and have never had any issues on my fun cars that are in garage or daily's that our in driveway.

9. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not that close to the sea but I keep most of my cars in bubbles. Keeps them dry, dust and rodent free.

Attached Files:

ceepfchat and daflk like this.
  10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Gotta be honest with you; reading the thread’s title, I thought this was another depressing discussion about how much modern Ferraris will depreciate and that the bubble has burst.

Refreshing to see you’re talking about a different kind of bubble.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

GT2goneF, JohnTz, DOWORKFCAR and 4 others like this.
  11. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    We fight this in Hawaii, mopping salt off the floor twice a week. Door handles/hinges rust within 6 mos we get so much salt in the house.

The best thing you could do is air conditioning for the garage and keep it running so it keeps the air dry. My fear with the bubble is it would keep moist air in.

Solid State likes this.
  12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    This one is interesting but I wouldn't drive in with a hot car. Also I think the fan is weak and does nothing for salt but it promises to not drag plastic or zippers across the paint.

13. ceepfchat

ceepfchat Rookie

Sep 26, 2014
    What year Alfa? I've got a '69 1750. Maybe my favorite car!

14. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Yes, I keep my '84 Porsche 911 Targa @ a vacation home in Southampton, NY. Same salty air, etc. No complaints and also keeps out the vermin! One time, I opened the frunk, and found acorn shells!

15. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Its a 1970 GT Junior 1300 (but with a 1600 engine) fully restored and original UK car. Unfortunately now sold, it was gorgeous.

Attached Files:

GT2goneF, ceepfchat and Sargepug like this.
  16. 488mct

488mct Rookie

Feb 6, 2017
    Oman
    Hot and Humid is the only weather in the Middle East, we have closed garages with a small split unit A/C on a timer to keep our cars from falling apart.

17. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    Late to this post, but if you haven't made a decision, maybe it will help.

This is what I have for my 360 Spider (http://carcapsule.com/showcase-16-indoor/). I drive it in hot with no issues (it probably helps to take out minor wrinkles in the plastic). I have had it for 2.5 years with zero issues, and it keeps the car protected very well. The fan runs 100% of the time whether the car is in it or not and has not yet failed. It keeps bugs, rodents, dust, and kid's toys away from the car. I don't think it does anything for saltwater since it just takes in air from the surroundings with only a minor filter.

I couldn't recommend this more, and I would most definitely buy it again.

18. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Late post here and not an F car in the garage, but would totally recommend the Showcase by Car Capsule. It works super efficiently and flawlessly. Phil (the owner) called me back at 6 PM on a Sunday to answer a question of mine and explained all my questions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

GT2goneF and dustman like this.
  19. Welford10

Welford10 Karting

Dec 26, 2013
    England
    Full Name:
    Gary