And so it begins, car value crash... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

And so it begins, car value crash...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 09Scuderia, Apr 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    manheim has been trying to get into the b2b for non auction.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what does that mean?

tbakowsky likes this.
  3. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    me?

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh sorry. What is manheim trying to do?

Sent from my iPhone using MotorInteractive

5. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    they are listing cars now, sorta like BIN on ebay or classifieds. so it is not all wholesale only auctions.

most of it is high line with what i wouldnt consider wholesale pricing

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Adesa has been doing this in Canada for quite some time now.

Doesn't Manheim do the same thing with their OVE.com or whatever operation?

7. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    There are 3 Pista's on Manheim/OVE now

Image Unavailable, Please Login

LARRYH and Texas Forever like this.
  8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i see thanks, do they show final prices?

9. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    too my knowledge the sales of that are not posted in the sales data from auctions.

fwiw, the sales of that i have seen have all been off line. dealers using these as adverts

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    no substance behind this, but my gut tells me this isnt a great endeavor. Manheim has a brand that is recognized with wholesale, i feel like this is a bad thing.

11. ribbangga

ribbangga Rookie

Apr 29, 2019
    Rochester NY
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I watch said auctions every single week, supply is super low right now, nice cars for that matter, and prices are not cheap.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    which auctions do you mean? maheim?

13. ribbangga

ribbangga Rookie

Apr 29, 2019
    Rochester NY
    Full Name:
    Tom
    exactly, prices for cars wholesale are now higher, to say there was a benchmark number of 100% we look at for prices, its peek this year was in early march around 102%, dropped down to about 90% at it's worst, and we have an upward slope passing 104% right now. I don't know where this whole glut of cars is going to be coming from he speaks of. Dealers aren't selling as much volume, means not as many trades, less supply usually means higher prices. That is in a general scope of things. How specially its impacts cars like Ferraris will yet be played out. I don't think there will be much effect, because the market is so specific. Residuals may be effected on lease cars, but that's about it. IMHO

DW68 likes this.
  14. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I like the Pista Pista, but it is such mileage, not sure I could deal with that kind of wear and abuse.

16. ribbangga

ribbangga Rookie

Apr 29, 2019
    Rochester NY
    Full Name:
    Tom
    A lot of dealers have their inventory automatically exported to OVE just for exposure, and when the price is more, it factors in the auction fee. I never understand that, but it's generally out of being lazy and just keeping the export stream activated.

technom3 and BLAMPEE like this.
  17. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Rental car companies are selling off 80% of their fleet. Lots of leased cars being turned in and no one buying at wholesale auctions. No one buying new cars. Lots of fish in the sea and very few fishermen

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

18. ribbangga

ribbangga Rookie

Apr 29, 2019
    Rochester NY
    Full Name:
    Tom
    And I'd love to show you the quality of those cars. The dealers will keep the very nice lease returns and send the lower quality cars to the sale. Has been that way for quite a while, no surprise there. The rental car sell-off is something new for sure. Trust me the fishermen are out there. Don't worry. We usually look at an average of 7500 - 8000 units per week to choose from, now we are at 5500 on a good week.. an exotic sale with have 2500 units, hovering around 1200 - 1300 now.

LARRYH, technom3, Way2fast and 2 others like this.
  19. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I will second that up here in Canada. Supply is low, we're still moving quality units although at a slower pace. Could have something to do with our dollar weakening and quality cars are being exported on the cheap. We have sent a bunch down lately that normally wouldn't have made sense to.

20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    How is he doing a month later?

21. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Isn’t that crazy , for a sub 1000 mile pista the prices are between $480k and $600k..

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I'm not in the industry, but I can't see any car value crash here in the UK atm. If you want to buy a specific Ferrari, say a Dino or a 458 or a 456, you will have to pay about the same now as you would have pre-corona. There are a couple of fire sale cars I have seen, but not many. Same with modern 911s, which I also look at. Almost no movement at all in asking price besides the seasonal uptick for convertibles.

I know not many are actually selling, but that was the case pre-corona also, and there's no evidence at all of a price crash in this part of the market. Not even a "correction" beyond what was going on anyway since 2017 or so.

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Cars sellers are not adjusting advertised prices. They are selling based on best offer and not disclosing the final sale price. It seems inventory is stagnant and has been for some time.

Newer stuff still seems to be moving, but the higher production 80's to mid 90's stuff is all but dead at the momment.

APA#1 and G. Pepper like this.
  24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Dealers are now stocking up on inventory in the expectation that pricing for 2018 and up cars will actually go up. Now not all dealers are doing this but there has been a shift to not buying anything for inventory to send me everything you got.

This is due to dwindling new car inventories.

I actually think there is a decent chance that this is going to work out perfectly timing wise. Perhaps as the rentals and off leases hit the stores are buying inventory.

So we might not have a great dip in prices nor a great increase. It might be fairly steady with a small rise or fall on either side.

25. DW68

DW68 Rookie

Dec 31, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    D Wilson
    I am due back to work June 1st in the retail and business sales of the mainstream motor trade in the U.K. What has been interesting is just how many enquiries are still coming in. If this continues, then short term we will see the pent up demand keep us busy but the acid test is what happens when we have worked through this phase. For now, this won't make dealers desperate to get shot of stock unless cash flow dictates.
    Remember, there are many, many used independent dealers out there who cannot sell tarmac so have to replace stock and with main dealers often selling a wider age of used car these days, these independents have to work hard for good stock.
    Couple in a downturn in new sales and therefore trade in's giving a headache to keep the main agents fully stocked, none of this adds up to used car prices dropping or crashing.
    I would be more wary of Gov incentives to swap into lower emissions (not true scrappage as this reduces the vehicle park so perversely can hold up these values) or Gov disincentives to keep higher emission vehicles. IF Governments are to meet their stated emissions targets, then at some point these factors will become very real for mainstream used car values.

Themaven likes this.