Testarossa Price Trends | Page 195 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

Very re-assuring to hear. Glad you like yellow, Pinifarina stated all Testarossas should be red. On the other hand, the official colour of the city of Modena is yellow.

I think the price you paid was fair for what you wanted. My brother-in-law said he could have got me one for $60,000. I know he meant a Ferrari in general (355, 360, etc.) but not a Testarossa.

For me, I looked at the car on the internet on a Sunday night after a couple of beers. Two weeks later I flew to Toronto and back in one day to look at and be a passenger on a test drive. Of course I bought the car.

Amazing where a leap of faith can take you. LOL.

Natkingcolebasket69 and versamil like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Next time anyone questions the value of a tr pls rewatch this:

ralfabco and blkdiablo33 like this.
  3. Dadster

Dadster Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 16, 2017
    Full Name:
    J Bond
    Hi All,

I am the buyer of the black TR on BaT. Someone on BaT suggested I come over and check out the forum...interesting...these cars clearly generate a lot of debate..lol.

I only wanted a black on black one. The black carpets (vs red) and the normal seat belts ( vs the mouse belts) were also nice to have. They don't seem to come up that often in this spec. History is decent and this car was the owner's baby.

Yes they made a fair amount but it is a mid engined Ferrari with a normally aspirated flat 12 and a gated shifter...it is a true icon and a poster car from its era.

I love them...

Best to all

raysur, LVP488, VColin and 4 others like this.
  4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Cant wait to see it!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Congrats enjoy in good health

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

The 512 is a far greater car than the TR though, not only it’s more rare but it’s much better engineered; center of gravity is lower, more hp too;)

7. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

The horsepower gain isn't much and almost not even worth mentioning. You are right about the handling though. Huge difference there.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  8. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'd love to hear from a real expert in TR's and 512TR's if the improvement in handling is primarily due to the improvement in wheels/rubber and brakes or if its from something else, like the engine being marginally lower or things I'm not aware of. I find it hard to believe the 512TR can be that much better handling than a TR with good wheels and tires considering they are both overweight pigs at the end of the day.

9. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

The original testarossa has two chassis. One for the motor, one for the rest of the car. The 512tr is one chassis and the engine out is done with the motor coming up out of the bonnet instead of down and out. That's the big difference.

10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This isn't that important. The TR's subframe is mechanically fastened to the frame and would be loaded as one structure. The only effect on the handling of the car relating to this difference is the 512TR's engine sits lower and creates a lower center of gravity for the car. This matters for sure. But I wonder how much it matters relative to the other differences. The other differences are substantial, suspension, brakes, wheels and tires (wheels and tires alone are about 15years apart between the two cars), steering rack etc.

11. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Tell that to the people with the cracked rear windows after an improper jack attempt.

ExtraTx, xplodee and turbo-joe like this.
  12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    good point! Do the 512tr’s not do this?

13. ExtraTx

ExtraTx Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yeah having been all up in and around the removable chassis member, it could really use some extra bracing. There is barely any cross bracing, and the shock top mounts are basically floating without any cross bracing. I imagine it flexes all around during hard cornering. If there was a way to do a strut tower brace, I'm sure that would make a huge difference.

And as BradWilliams pointed out, it flexes enough to break the rear window when jacked from one side on the rear.

However, I imagine a lot of the performance also comes from the wheel / tire / brake upgrade, which is pretty huge.

Finally, electronic fuel injection is a beautiful thing. Bosch CIS was mostly a bandaid system that I don't think anyone would ever call an "upgrade" to anything.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The 512TR also has some brakes whereas the 16" wheels of the testarossa did not allow to put some - that was (for me) one of the major flaws of the testarossa.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yep- big question is: is a 512 TR really worth 150k VS 100 for a TR? I’d say yes but not much more aside a 94

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Considering similar mileages, price differences are lower in France and Europe - more like 30 to 50 K EUR.

17. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Testarossas, depending on condition, were 50-60 grand before 2014. 512trs were 70-80 grand depending on condition.

Expect similar pricing next january. The premium will disappear even more than it already has.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Are you saying dadster is a moron?
    Im willing to bet you a tr that you are wrong. Wanna make the bet? Jan 2021 expiration.

19. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    The way the government is printing money, a gallon of milk may cost fifty grand. Anyone predicting that Testarossa prices are going to plummet, using todays value of money to come to a fifty K price is not thinking. Just how much is 50K of money from 2014 compared to 2020 money?

It is TERRIFIC however that we have such smart money people posting in the Testarossa pricing posts. One of them was recently banned. You'd think they'd have other things to do than predicting doom and gloom on a Ferrari site. Being brilliant at predicting, they should be buying stock.

Gary Sandberg, turbo-joe and MK1044 like this.
  20. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#4870 Bradwilliams, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Oh I'm thinking clearly :) Long and hard about 1989 :)

Inflation (when it happens, and if it does severely) isn't going to save the cc market. History is not on your side regarding that theory. Inflation didn't save it in 89 and it won't this time either.

I love doom and gloom. Just more deals and more fun for people who actually enjoy cars and less fun and financial pain for speculators. Doom and gloom is glorious.

21. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I don't know what event in 1989 you're referring to. !987 and 1988 was a very heated time for Ferrari prices. Daytona prices were effectively doubling in three month periods. Other Ferraris were skyrocketing. A person couldn't BUY a Testarossa without paying a premium. BUT this was a manipulated car bubble. I was doing mechanical work on Ferraris for a Portland,Oregon dealer who absolutely manipulated the market, having purchased around seven Daytona spiders. Prices DID plunge, but now they're several hundred percent higher than the prices at the peak of the bubble. The idiots that bought cars at the peak of the market lost their shorts, but if they hung on, even buying high, they still would have recouped their money. The saying you can't pay TOO much for a Ferrari, you just bought it too soon, holds true even in 2020.

The values CURRENTLY for Testarossa's are not overly hyped. I'm quite certain the majority of the owners of these cars, are not affected by the current economic problems. A person who isn't stretched thin, isn't going to DUMP their car and take a fifty percent loss on it. Where are all these bargain cars going to come from?
    I certainly wouldn't dream of selling my cars and take a huge hit.For someone to think the market is going to be flooded with cheap Testarossa's, you have to think the owners of these cars don't have two dimes to rub together. These are still TOYS for people that have money, not people that can barely buy a new car and have to finance a Honda.

In 2014- 2015 we seem to have experienced a repeat of the 1988 bubble. Not quite as dramatic, but a bubble indeed. The Testarossa's shot up dramatically, but just as in 1988, the prices came back down, but still at a higher level than they began. The five thousand mile white testarossa I went to the Rick Cole auction to see, that sold for 350K, has come back down into the 100's where it probably belongs. Most of the current prices I see, are NOT overinflated. So they're NOT going to drop another fifty percent.

22. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    It’s all about catching the maximum gain or loss. It’s time to buy high and sell low. Lol. Once prices fall 50 percent I’ll be forced to sell. If that doesn’t happen I’ll just keep it then. That’s the theory anyway. Ludicrous. Let’s move on from this doom and gloom that won’t have much impact if any on these car prices. In 24 months from now I’m going to run this in everyone’s face who believes this nonsense. Can they drop a little. Sure, 50 percent, sorry you live in dream land.

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    That has contamination this thread since the beginning. How old is this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using MotorInteractive

24. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    $1.00 in 2014 is worth $1.10 today adjusted for inflation so $50k then is $55k now.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

10 years!!!! Let it rest in peace. ;):D