Fernando Alonso back to Renault... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Fernando Alonso back to Renault...

Discussion in 'F1' started by nerofer, May 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    But then how would they pander to the 0.21% of F1 fans that value the environmental friendliness of F1 over the cost and excitement?

Bas and SimCity3 like this.
  2. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Selling 0.21%....

Bas likes this.
  3. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    This is all getting very Hollywood. Like watching producers try to breath life into a terrible script by casting lots of has-been stars and hoping they'll help the box office.

4. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

F1 carried more weight when it was elite. Sponsors queued up.

Disneyland version dilutes its USP.

Bas and Hawkeye like this.
  5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I am a fan of F1 bit loud noisy IC engines,
    I am a fan of nature and the environment;

Simply Busing fans in instead of allowing them to drive in would save more of the environment than making F1 use "green" engines and technology. It would also save more than disallowing testing between races. 200,000 fans use a lot more fuel, oil, rubber, food,... than 20 F1 cars, drivers, and the 10 teams

Bas and Ryan... like this.
  6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Why not just make cars illegal to the public? F the environment...I'll drive any car I want anywhere I want.

7. MonacoHedge

MonacoHedge Rookie

Apr 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    soren lindberg
    Well said. Not to bring (even more) politics into the conversation, but this is happening in many areas of life.
    IF Liberty had some balls they would run a pre-race (for show) with ex-driver in a variety of cars from different era's, Put ex-champions in them and then let the crow decide (on an app because 2020,duh!) which one they liked best. set up a fireworks display trackside that goes of on whatever car gets the most "likes".
    I bet it would not be a 2019 car who got the popular vote. They need to realise they are selling a show as much as a race.
    If Liberty ran WWE they would all be wresting in hazmat suits and bathing caps.

Bas and Hawkeye like this.
  8. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I think Liberty knows they're selling a show; that's why an initial push for urban races. A Super Bowl atmosphere every 2 weeks! Then reality set in....

9. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    We will have very interesting radios if it were true. Renault remains one of the most overpromised under delivered team.

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    IF they stay, that is. Renault is now begging for state help - read here: state money. I guess that the extra spending of Formula One will be difficult to justify, considering the "results" (or lack of...) acheived so far. As for Fernando, I am with Bas (Jaski) on that matter; why would the guy come back for three more years of misery in the middle of the field with a car unable to win? It would be a repeat of his McLaren crucible of 2015-2017. Renault has a lot to gain in P.R matters, Fernando a lot to lose. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Rgds

stavura, Remy Zero, Isobel and 2 others like this.
  11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    If Liberty is willing to pay Nando’s salary for the spectacle, stands to reason they might be pushing for Vettel to partner Hamilton to finally spice up championships

12. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Vettel had plenty of chances to spice up championships. He spun out and crashed out instead.

Hocakes and AtSomePoint like this.
  13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Why doesnt he drive in another serie? He is done in F1. It will just taint his record.

14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Who says Hamilton and Bottas wouldn’t have done the same in a slower Ferrari?

15. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The weenies running F1 seem to miss one very simple fundamental fact...F1 racing is by its very nature EXCESSIVE! So, all of this eco-crap, fuel capacity limits, fuel flow limits, etc. are contrary to the nature of the sport, period. Deep down, I think that this is what annoys lots of fans. We expect race cars, F1 in particular, to go as fast as they can. Not go as fast as you can but don't use too much fuel, don't make too much noise and be kind to the environment whilst doing so. It all just seems like it is becoming virtual racing.

16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
  17. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Because maybe they can control their emotions a bit better than Vettel. He over - drove the car, made terrible mistakes on lap 1 at times, lack of patience. Well beneath the image of his 4WDC standing. He made preventable mistakes under stress and anger or lack of awareness. No matter he is out and not missed by me. On his own in the car he 'owns' his actions. Probably the worst pressure driver with multiple titles it appears to me.

william likes this.
  18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Sorry, back to my point, still think he would put up a bigger fight than Bottas against Hamilton at Merc so Liberty should actively be pushing for him there rather than Alonso at Renault.

19. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The question is - Vettel and his intentions to race or leave I think.

william likes this.
  20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    think he’d only go to Merc and I’d love him to

21. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    Put it this way...did LeClerc or Raikkonen spin or crash the number of times Vettel did? I think that’s your answer...

I do like Vettel and I’m going to miss his talent on the grid but fair is fair and he didn’t close at Ferrari the way he did at Red Bull. Folks sometimes forget, two of those four championships were won in the final race against a strong Alonso. Vettel is no joke but lost a bit of the magic the last few seasons or Hamilton raised his game to another level. Probably a bit of both

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    We expect F1 cars to go as fast as physics allows them to go.

The only limitation on how fast the cars can go should be dimensions, weights, tires, and fuel.

23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    In an ideal world yes, but in fact it rarely ever happened.

Reliability used to play a bit role, and drivers had to look after their cars to finish races in the past.
    Apart from saving the tyres to avoid pit stops, they also had to look after their transmission, go easy on gearchanges, nurse their clutch, and their brakes to be able to finish. Before revs limiters, drivers has to avoid over-revving their engines, or valve springs would break. The rate of attrition due to poor reliability was terrible up to the 90s, with often less than half the field finishing a GP.
    So races were never flat-out from start to finish, and the wins often went to those who were fast but also knew how to manage their car.
    Now engines are rarely stressed to their limits, but tyre management has a great influence in the outcome of GPs.
    Nobody actually pushes his car as fast as it can, simply because that would ruin the tyres withing a few laps.

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Agreed!

And yes, I think they vastly underestimated how F1 is run. It really isn't simple. Bernie was a very, very smart man and very shrewd. Few things happened without his say so (such as engines which he really didn't want, either!). Ousting him early was a very daft move.

Was Bernie limited himself by not accepting certain things (social media, online viewing for races and so on, but they should've kept him around a lot longer..

375+ likes this.