Quattroporte I V8 engine | FerrariChat

Quattroporte I V8 engine

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by F456M, May 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi friends. Anyone interested in an engine? Easily 4,2 l. Quattroporte AM107 type. Taken apart. Heads reworked. Needs final assmebly, carb rebuilds. Sold with headers. Europe. Can send anywhere. PM for more info.

2. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Wondering what the differences are with a QP III engine? Price? Transmission?

Nice headers!

RF.

3. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    QP III engines are 4.9 and most only bolt up to a Chrysler auto matic trans. There are a few that were manuals. The 4.2 most used the 5 S20 gearbox. QP III engines are a lot less expensive and more available, I have a spare set of header for a 4.2 if you need some.

4. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Apart from the gearbox, is there a substantial difference between the various 4.9 wet sump engines that were fitted starting from the Indy 4.9 to the QP III, through the Bora?
    Anything more than the tuning that lead to various power ouputs (the QP III engine being e.g. less poweful)?
    There are so many different outputs reported for this V8 while it is also always claimed that it is the same engine that it is difficult to understand what would cause it...
    Same for the dry sump: any difference between the Ghibli I engine and the Khamsin one?

5. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Thanks for the answer Eugene (We miss you out West here). Would a Chrysler bell housing then fit the engine, to accept a manual transmission then?

Many Thanks, RF.

6. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login FWIW, I wondered the same thing some years ago when I first got my QP3. Maybe what I found would be interesting. Maserati could not entice - or pay - Chrysler to make a custom transmission case (no separate bellhousing on the A727) for their small production. Chrysler made the A727 for lots of cars and even external companies. We searched all we could find for a matching pattern. The short answer is that the starting point appears to be the unit designed for Chrysler's own LA series engines. But -- even that didn't work as standard. The Maserati starter is mounted on the right side of the engine; this 727 case has the provision on the left, where it interferes with the steering on LHD cars. Their solution was to mill out a large chunk on the right and trim the original bellhousing bulge on the left. The first picture shows what we think is the core, on the left. The second picture is a QP3 transmission. If you try to use a standard Chrysler manual transmission bellhousing, you'll have to make similar modifications. If you do, you might want to start with the third picture, which is a Hurst conversion bellhousing for LA-to-T56 transmission. At least you'd be starting with a modern six speed.

At the time, I was also pondering whether QP3 engines could be used as a wear-saving daily driver engine for my Bora. Except for the pesky rear flange, the engines are very similar. Hot rodders wouldn't even flinch at a simple 2" thick adapter to the standard 107 type rear flange, but I suppose the volume is far too low to get anyone to do it. At the time we had a big 5-axis mill, but after talking my son into such other big business opportunities as QP3 sun visor mounts and early Maserati lower control arm fulcrum shafts, I figured I had worn out my welcome.

F456M likes this.
  7. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Great information!

Many Thanks! RF.

8. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Wondering what was done about the flywheel?

Thanks, RF.

9. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    I don't know. I've never pulled the engine on my QP3. Given that they were willing to cast a new block for the automatic, it would not be surprising if they just machined the rear flange of the crankshaft to match the Mopar flexplate, a relatively simple change. If they did, it would make the manual conversion easier (though not for a Bora) because then you'd just use a Mopar flywheel. They also changed to a Chrysler starter, so the ring gear would match in placement and pitch. BUT.... I'm just guessing. After seeing the scope of the bellhousing work, I drifted off to other daydream projects!

10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The price is 6.500 euro. As is.