355 - F355 GTS no engine or gearbox | FerrariChat

355 F355 GTS no engine or gearbox

Discussion in '348/355' started by Clipper747, May 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clipper747

Clipper747 Rookie

May 19, 2020
    #1 Clipper747, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Hello everyone

I have a unique problem as the title indicates. My brother who owned the F355 had a crash about 5 years ago in the car. It was written off but he bought it back from the insurance company for dirt. He was going to break it for parts which he started but never finished. He sold the engine and gearbox about 4 years ago. Recently he moved to the UAE and left the car to me so now it’s mine. I had a friend who works as a body repair guy fix the damage with a bit of jigging as well. But now I’m left without an engine or box.

Please no one take offence by my idea. And please no cursing me. I’m not about to spent £20k minimum on the project. And I’m not selling it as it is or when it’s finished.

I can’t afford to buy a 355 engine or box. My plan was to by a suitable donor car and to a transplant. But what in hells name would be a suitable donor small V8ish

Located in the U.K. and RHD

Any help or advise welcome

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I’d part it out or sell the chassis / whole.

That does not answer your question but the heart of the F355 is the 5 valve per cylinder engine and it’s one of the most satisfying manual gearboxes that Ferrari has made. Maybe find some other way to work off getting the correct engine and gearbox you need with sweat equity. Then you would have a complete proper car you could enjoy, and at least sell later with what you put into it. I would imagine trying to swap to a different engine and box would cost you mostly the same because of all the “fitting”...

Robb

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  4. Clipper747

Clipper747 Rookie

May 19, 2020
    Thanks Robb for your reply.

I know what you mean. I drove this car on its glory days and can say I’ve not had as much fun since.

I get so much stick from people when I ask for advice on many forums and chats. I’m all new to this. I can understand peoples anger at what I’m trying to achieve with this but what I want people to understand is that I never went out of my way to find a cheap Ferrari that I can fix for peanuts and then blag my way into the Ferrari club. I got stuck with it when my brother left it in my garden and moved to the UAE. now with this damn lock down and pure Boredom me and a mate started to fix the body work and I just fell in love with it from then on.

I don’t want to get read of it due to sentimental reasons

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Perhaps you can consider Audi R8 4.2 Lit. V8 engine/gearbox, if you can find a good low mileage one from a written-off car. The concept is very similar to the 348/355's except that you disconnect/plug the output for the drive to the front wheels. After all, the R8 platform is based on Lamborghini Gallardo. Whether 355 has enough space for the Audi powertrain is something to be checked. The picture shows the later V10 R8 but I believe the V8 is similar, just shorter.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Buckets, JL350 and The Outcast like this.
  6. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    I would put something away each month, if possible, until you can get the correct engine and box, even if it takes years. It would be pointless putting something cheap in there, just to make it driveable. It will have no soul.

taz355, Robb and PhilB like this.
  7. Ianbts

Ianbts Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Nottingham
    Full Name:
    Ian Sterling
    Robb likes this.
  8. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    I know it’s blasphemy, but how about an electric conversion?

tres55, taz355, QSA and 2 others like this.
  9. Ianbts

Ianbts Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Nottingham
    Full Name:
    Ian Sterling
    For a cheaper solution Alfa v6 from GT/GTV as fitted in some Statos replicas.

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The hard part will be the engine to gearbox adapter plate I think, no one makes it yet that I know of. Not too hard to have xnc'd though but shaft length and spline count and what not are the next hurdle I suspect. Mounts and stuff are straight forward.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. MikeeB355

MikeeB355 Karting

Dec 7, 2019
    S Wales
    Full Name:
    Michel Bee
    Why not sell it to someone who will do the right thing with it and buy an MR2?

12. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    I've often fantasized about this. Doing it "turnkey" could be very expensive, but if someone was ready to put in the work to experiment, it could be very do-able.

13. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    My 1999 F355B was totaled by a minor engine-compartment fire back in 2018; the guy who bought the car from insurance company is doing this swap. Seems like you could engineer the modification so that permanent alterations to body/structure wouldn't be required, and revert it to stock "someday" when the proper Ferrari engine is available.

14. tracktoys

tracktoys Rookie

Feb 5, 2017
    Wales UK
    Maserati v8 has similar dna as ferrari
    LS engines are very tunable/powerful
    bmw/audi v10 would be so cool
    electric would also be a great option

all much cheaper options than the ferrari v8 although by the time you've adapted everything and found a gearbox the savings wouldn't be that great

15. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    There's always great input here on FChat...all you need to do is figure out which way to go, since, in the end, it's YOUR CAR.

16. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There is a new show on MotorTrend called Vintage Voltage. An outfit in Wales has converted a pair of 308’s to electric. Both had issues with lack of drive lines IIRC.

17. tracktoys

tracktoys Rookie

Feb 5, 2017
    Wales UK
    There's a company called Zero EV converting an mx5 to electric at the moment, some good info on there if its something you're considering

18. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Yeah...I love that stuff!

cardude442 likes this.
  19. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
  20. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

(opinion)

This has disaster/mistake written all over it. You'll end up paying a small fortune to get something in there (and may fail dismally), and when you're done you'll end up with something worth no more than what you have now - and other than moving the wheels it won't be anything like what you remember.

Ferrari's are all about the engines IMHO, especially in these older cars.

If I were you I'd either find a proper engine (bearing in mind an engine swap will make it less desirable to the next buyer) or just part it out. You'll probably get decent coin for it if it's otherwise complete. 355 parts aren't cheap.

21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I personally think that it’s a disaster in the making as well, also financially.

after taking my engine out multiple times over the course of its 20 year life there is no easy way to install another engine and gearbox. None nada

electric would be by far the easiest and cheapest.

the problem from the OP is that you will f(nd that you will spend more.

instead to get a loan and buy an engine and a transmission/

I bought a spare transmission for 5k from phrogs on here and have seen them numerous times for similar money. brian sold some as well.

buy a working transmission, and an engine.

take your time Will likely cost you 20k.

in 5 years you will own a ferrari and the best part is the sound of that engine. You will thank us all then.

start right away.

just my opinion, but you will be nickel and dimed into the same price range very quickly.

22. tracktoys

tracktoys Rookie

Feb 5, 2017
    Wales UK
    even if he put another 355 engine and box in people would slate/ devalue it for not having the original unit from the car, an engine swap makes more sense and an electric conversion would guarantee a future for the foreseeable

23. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

That's true (the devalue part, not the guarantee part), but a 355 with an engine conversion would just be a sad, frankensteined car that would be worth no more than it is now, and would offer no advantage that similar money in another platform would have gotten you. These things don't handle that well compared to other modern cars/platforms, and a butchered Ferrari is just unimaginable. It would be like watching "Weekend at Bernies" but on an automotive level.

My personal opinion is that unless you restore it to what it was originally, the life of this car is (sadly) over. That car died, both in soul and in value when the engine came out of it.

marioz likes this.