575M Build | Page 4 | FerrariChat

575M Build

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by white out, May 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Exhaust was just finished. Fabricator has 80 hours into it.

Charging up the draggy and going to pick up the car later today.

It's funny, I always thought the 550's spark plug wires looked prettier than the 575M individual coils.

Just put up a teaser from outside the car on my IG story.

2. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    It does look nice... but when the spark plug boots fail its an arm and a leg to get a new set

3. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Did some data logging with the car today and the exhaust netted a full second off 60-130.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

GT3 & Viper are still faster.

The 575M is getting a LOT of wheel spin in lower gears and now it gets wheel-hop in second gear and breaks the tires loose on the 2-3 shift. The new suspension and some sticky tires will definitely help drop the time. So I decided to install the Fortune Auto/Muller coilovers today. Was a bit more involved than anticipated, getting the front coilovers out and dealing with the sway bars (really explains the car's handling characteristics) but overall was easy to work on.

Some install pics

Got a shot of the new coilover and Ti exhaust

Dropped the left rear wheel arch. . . and was showered in sand/dirt. Awesome.

5.5 hours later.done.need water.

Weighed the OEM coilovers to Fortune/Muller. Dropped 16.625lbs

Up next is dialing in the ride height after these settle (100lbs of tools in the trunk). Then have to deal with that offset. Woof.

ItalianOne, dgi, Il Tifoso and 5 others like this.
  4. 0-60

0-60 Rookie

Dec 26, 2012
    Bahrain
    Nice update bud.

5. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Coming along great... those coil overs look nice and the price is fantastic. Is it possible to dial in the ride height close to OEM? or will it always be lowered?

6. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    It won't be close to OEM, but it will not be this low.

I find installing coilvers around where the factory sets them while building to be much easier to install (because the body is short). But they need to be adjusted up quite a bit.

The rear wheels need to come out about 55mm. Depending on how quickly wheels can be found/made I might pick up some spacers.

7. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    minor updates.

While the front end was apart, decided to do some heat management to the airboxes. Took forever to apply, so if I did it again, would ceramic coat (header coat) the airboxes instead of gold foil. But this should help and can barely see it when installed.

Set up the ride height to a decent low level.

[​IMG]

Screwed around and threw the rear wheels on the front. Looks like I found my new front wheel specs.

If anyone has some 575M rears lying around, lemme know. Might run a square set up for a bit.

ItalianOne, Il Tifoso and Auraraptor like this.
  8. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

First, awesome build and props to you for your innovative thinking/approach.

Second, be really careful with that wheel hop - the diff's in these cars aren't bullet proof and are expensive AF to repair/replace.

white out and Il Tifoso like this.
  9. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Lol it'll be like the Murci sun gear fiasco all over again. Yeah the ride height looks great, the tires are still clear of the arches. Odd they tuck in the way they do, definitely need spacers. There's no rubbing in the front with those massive tires?

10. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Thanks!

Not many cars can survive wheel hop. Good to know about pricing though.

I didn't check at full lock for rubbing. While the wheels/tires are larger, they aren't that much bigger and with the offset pushing outward I assume there is quite a bit of clearance.
    Generally speaking, a 295/35R18 is .1" taller and 1.7" wider than 255/35R19. I could drop to a 30 series tire or 275 width tire for more clearance up front.

11. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Knocked another .1 off the 60-130 (with A/C on), so 1.3 seconds behind Viper. Still dealing with significant wheelspin in second gear, 2-3 shift and 3-4 shift. Lighter wheels & sticky tires are up next. Should knock those times down significantly.

12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Surely a remap is on the cards? Pretty easy to reflash these ecu's.

13. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    It's not on the "must do" list, but will likely be occurring in the near future.

0-60 likes this.
  14. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Pretty easy way to gain a few cheap ponies, especially considering you've already given the girl her voice with the exhaust. Can fire over your ECU flash file to 360Trev if you pull the file off yourself. He can do some nice little tweaks like removing the throttle pedal delay as well as dropping in a new map for best torque through the rev range.

He can help with a manual conversion too for when you want to cross that bridge. ;)

dhalperin13 and F456M like this.
  15. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Just found out the car is on tires with 340 treadwear . . . explains those traction issues.

I just hit him up for a tune.

The manual swap is so tempting.

16. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    How difficult was it to remove the sticky areas on the steering wheel covers? Jus alcohol, oven cleaner or others?

17. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    That took a bit of elbow grease to clean it compared to the other parts. I used a microfiber cloth with a significant amount of alcohol.

18. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    For what it's worth I'm running the following:
    19x9 +32
    19x11 +32 (325 width) with a spacer...I think either 10 or 15mm max.

No rubbing lowered on factory coils.

Attached Files:

white out, F456M, p.roma and 5 others like this.
  19. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Took the car out today and it will spin the rears with moderate throttle input in first. These tires are a joke.

That looks amazing.

I went with HRE 305M
    18x10.5 +32
    18x11 -3

Mine are going to be quite aggressive.

Debating on running 305/35 at all corners, going with 100 treadwear so it should be plenty sticky once they are warm and allow for slip when I want it. Front will be real grippy.

20. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Thank you

I think it would look gnarly if you did a square setup like on your Viper. Something different for a 550...the power steering on the cars seems to be overpowered so should be easy to drive still. Question is will it rub. I'm running 265/35 on the front and 325/30 on the rear.

I'm curious how yours would drive with your new suspension. I pretty much hate the factory setup...it's too soft on standard setting and barely any better on sport mode. I'm likely going to send the OEM suspension to Delta-Vee at some point though to have it overhauled to a more aggressive setting on standard and more biased towards a "Race Mode" type setting when on sport.

white out likes this.
  21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The rear will handle wheels up to 13" with no problems. Mine had 9" F and 12.5" R NF2s with 25 mm spacers on the rear. No rubbing, but ride was compromised somewhat at the rear because the big NF2s are heavy. Plenty of traction, even on P Zeros (355/25 19 NLA).

white out likes this.
  22. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

You obviously know that tire spin is a safety feature and will keep the increased torque from breaking something a lot more expensive. If you get big enough rubber that you can hook in 1st, something more expensive in the transaxle is gonna let go...... I would think the diff end will handle it, but probably not the tranny end.

I would tune the suspension to where your wheel hop is eliminated then install something like the old Racelogic traction control systems. Or get ready to adapt an Xtrac..... :)

23. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    What an awesome thread @white out - thanks for sharing!

Oh, and impressive results thus far in the 60-130 logging! Clearly what you’re doing is working!

white out likes this.
  24. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    Those wheels look like FIKSE FM 5. I always liked the look of them on a 550. Funny, I think I have a spare set in the garage. Maybe I should get a 550/575 to put them to good use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F456M, white out and Auraraptor like this.
  25. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Close! They are the Profil 5 from Fikse. I had the centres refinished in the factory wheel paint code (I believe Argento Nurburgring?) and have a 10-15mm spacer on the rear (I can confirm if anyone really cares to know).

I love the wheels just need to figure something out for centrecaps at some point.

Auraraptor and white out like this.