History of my 308 | FerrariChat

History of my 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Kenneth Long, May 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kenneth Long

Kenneth Long Rookie

May 18, 2020
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Long
    Hi, just joined Ferrari Chat and realised even though I have owned my 308 gst qv for over 10 years, I do not know anything about my particular car’s history... owners etc.
    Is there a way I can find this out. Car serial number is 44075.
    Thank you in advance for any help you can offer, Ken.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

waymar likes this.
  2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Welcome Kenneth! I don’t know how to track down the history of your car but with my QV, since I know the name of the original owner, I was able to track him down through Facebook. Can you post some pics of your car?

3. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'm not aware of any simple way to track owners with the VIN. Hopefully you've got the original manuals and some service receipts. The Owner's Warranty & Service Book has the first owner's name and address at the time, and, in my case, I found him with google searches, sent a letter, and had some nice email exchanges (he was a serial Ferrari owner, now on in years). The second owner's name was on some service receipts, found him with a google searches, and developed a friendship of sorts. The person who sold me my car gave me the name of the third owner that sold it to him, and I found him now living in Cabo, but as yet unresponsive You'll have fun with the forensics and piecing the history together!

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Is Carbon still around?

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What do you know about your car?

Let's start with that and do some diggin

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    All Matthias has is your vin, that it is right hand drive and is was originally red.

(Your car was on the assembly line right behind a red right hand drive Mondial)

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No....

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Answer: All but impossible.
    Of my three examples, I knew the complete history of two, and felt lucky.
    Books get lost, service records damaged and discarded.
    New Privacy laws don't have DMVs passing out personal info.

My third one did have a known history, but the original Delivery Info and the Warranty book had been lost to time.

5 digit VINS add another wrinkle, although the Ferrari Market Letter was the go to for those.

9. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Carjam and Checka could be helpful for car in NZ. Yours is Euro type RHD car ?

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Ah, New Zealand...THE place I must visit before I'm too old (wait a minute: I might already be too old); the true geographical antipods to France (= whichever direction the plane is heading from Paris, it is the same distance : no place is "more far away" than this one).
    O.K, stop romancing...
    What is the FULL VIN (= 17 position) of the car? As said by Alan (= "Big Tex"), normally, piecing the history back together is next to impossible to achieve, UNLESS your car has been imported from the U.K, which is very much a possibility; and "Maranello Concessionaires", in the U.K, not only has among the best kept archives in the Ferrari world, they are also willing to assist...

Rgds

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I ran his full VIN thru Google and it came back with "no results" which is surprising with Google.

12. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    If it was sold new in NZ then you might give Continental Cars in Auckland a call to see if they were the importer. I think they were the sole importer back then with Giltrap having Porsche.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Ah...the plot thickens; is it a VIN for an RHD UK car, Dr Tommy?

Rgds

14. Kenneth Long

Kenneth Long Rookie

May 18, 2020
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Long
    Hi there all, and thank you so much for your replies. I apologise for my delay in responding… it is all a little crazy at the moment, as it is for everyone I guess.
    I have managed to track info from the NZ Ferrari Club from it's time in NZ. See snip:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nothing from before that yet. Good thought about trying Conti Cars as it was imported from the UK. Will try that on Monday. Wish I had the original documents, receipts, service history etc. Only have from the previous owner.
    Can I just email Maranello Concessionaires? Seems like they have better things to do than answer questions from the other side of the world???
    Full Vin is: ZFFLA13C000044075
    Thanks again to all!!
    Ken

bertrand328 likes this.
  15. Kenneth Long

Kenneth Long Rookie

May 18, 2020
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Long
    Albert-LP and 308 milano like this.
  16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Contact Tony Willis ,he holds all the Maranello UK records.

17. Kenneth Long

Kenneth Long Rookie

May 18, 2020
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Long
    Thank you. Do I go through Maranello UK direct?

18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    No - the Maranello Archive is independent - I don't have his email but but a search here or via Google should yield it

19. Kenneth Long

Kenneth Long Rookie

May 18, 2020
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Long
    Perfect. Thanks again!

20. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I think you have message(s)

21. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Sorry to take the OP's thread off topic, but ... don't talk about it, do it !! It is one of THE finest places on the planet. You really do owe it to yourself to get there.

Whilst this is a thing of great beauty :

This is a place of immense beauty :

readplays, 308 milano and vinny72758 like this.
  22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    pm sent

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The VIN tells us it is a fully regular RHD UK car (= identical to a standard "continental euro", except RHD; no catalytic converter, no different gear ratios, etc...) As it was sold new in the U.K, and as said by myself in post #10, and by others, your best bet is to shoot an E-Mail to Tony Willis, he is usually very helpful and happy to assist, even to persons from the other side of the world. The archives of "Maranello Concessionaires", kept by Tony, are a valuable asset for owners of cars sold new in the U.K; it is by far much more complicated for other countries...
    As for the rest of its history, as said by Alan ("Big Tex") above, and even if I don't have a clue about NZ legal framework, be aware that this has become more and more difficult to get due to privacy laws, data protection laws, etc...basically, if anyone has anything pertaining to that car, but wasn't/isn't its former owner, he could be liable by a former owner for giving you access to this.
    Then of course, keep in mind that some owners did not care in their time about service bills, etc...some did keep theirs, but it became fashionable and valuable only circa 2000 or so.

Rgds

24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Thanks. I know...this is precisely why I must go...
    (I also have to visit the Aleutians Islands; don't ask me why, 'cause I don't know, but I have been wanting to do it for the last 40 years or so; I would regret very much after my death not having seen Big Diomede and Little Diomede...)

Rgds

25. Kenneth Long

Kenneth Long Rookie

May 18, 2020
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Long
    I concur, no complaints from me here!