Question on GPS tracking app for private pilots? | FerrariChat

Question on GPS tracking app for private pilots?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bitzman, May 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I am writing a fiction short story where a racer is in a long rally but hops on a plane at some point to remeet his car later on. But i recently read the description of a new app that says

" MyTracks (iOS)
    The name is similar, but the iOS app "MyTracks" is not the same as the "My Tracks" app for Android. However, its functionality is similar. After loading the app and hitting record, MyTracks records your GPS position, creating a virtual thread to track where you've been on an OpenStreetMap. Photos can even be captured, geotagged, and marked on the map while you're recording. When you're done, the route data can be exported to the MyTracks app for Mac OS X."

All Greek to me, who is still a flip phone guy. What I want to know is, when his route in the car is followed and he dismounts , takes a flight and reunites with the car later, carrying his phone (with this app) the whole way, what will the app show for his route between the two airports? I predict nothing because the airplane wasn't following the roadway. The GPS readout would show there was an interruption, correct?
    Thanks for enlightening me...

2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    More tricks of the winners, Got this from an article But i don't see how the hunting scope works--how could you look through it if it's on the roof? Or maybe it had a wire running down inside the car where you cauld look at a screen? I have used image stabilizing ninoculars when I was testing a yacht in san Diego. Even though I was on a boat and I was looking at a boat, they "stopped the action". Bad part was they cost $1000, and I almost got run over by an aircraft carrier (aren't they supposed to pass on the right?)

From a newspaper article about the 2019 race: " The team also deployed a laser defuser, which alerts the driver when police use laser guns to register speed. The device scrambles the laser for a couple seconds, which is long enough to slow down, Toman said. A brake light kill switch also helped the team avoid signaling police that they were braking.

Other devices included a radar detector, police scanner, CB radio, several GPS devices and an old-fashioned kitchen timer. That helped cut down on the math of time-zone changes, Toman noted. A hunting scope mounted on the roof helped detect roadside deer and parse heat signatures of police in speed traps.

Their secret weapon, though, were spotters along for the journey in other cars and in the back seat. Chadwick, a college student armed with gyro-stabilized binoculars, was tapped to look for police cars ahead or going the other way."

3. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Apps need connectivity, so you need inflight wifi after some altitude, and preferably a GPS dongle for accuracy. To get on a plan means there needs to be a duplicate vehicle on the other side or you need to transport the car by air as well. How a car gets faster without the driver is odd. Ignoring that continuity, I like Aviary and Garmin Pilot. Cloud Ahoy looks neat. Check out https://coradine.com/

Probably 12 years ago I was talking with @darth550 and another Fchatter at VCR about using thermal cameras to drive blacked out and to spot heat signatures on tire heat on the road to follow and even parked cop cars, along with IR sensitive cameras that would pick up the visible spectrum of IR and certain light wavelengths. Take your phone camera and point a TV remote at it and push a button, suddenly the invisible is blinding. You will see this from night vision and even from aircraft. It will look like you are about to be the subject of an alien abduction when a chopper lights you up.

For rally counter measures.

tonyc likes this.
  4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Test Shoot: maybe I should tell the plot of my story in more detail. It's a fictional idea of how a guy cheats on the Cannonball by having an identical car parked in Barstow. He stops in Utah and hops a plane down to Barstow and continues the race in that identical car, that way going about 150 miles in 10 minutes compared to being in the first car. In running marathons there's been several where a competitor drops out, gets in a car driven by a fellow plotter on a neighboring street and speeds a couple miles up , then sneaks back in. I have the culprit caught because his iphone's GPS route following app shows a break in his route that can be explained.

5. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    If what you're trying to do is use GPS to verify that somebody cheated they're two ways One is that GPS would be able to indicate speed that you could calculate based upon distance between towers. The other is if you were to ping on a tower that was on the other side of the hill that you should not be able to see. Even if someone were able to follow the route faithfully you would not be able to pay off of a tower that was obstructed by Hill or maybe even at a distance further than the horizon by quite a distance and that's possible with altitude since some towers have the ability to have a range of up to 45 miles. When you are standing on the ground the horizon appears four to five miles away from you but when you gain altitude that increases kind of like being on a crow's nest on a sailing ship. So if there were a section of the map that were suspicious and you were to put a map on the wall and put push pins in the towers that they pinged off of it would indicate something pretty suspicious even if it's just one thing. The thing about cell phone towers and GPS is that the information contained is going to indicate not only the tower's GPS position but it's unique identification number but you just can't fake. If you want to look up information on GPX that is the GPS format of data. There's also a-GPS which is assisted GPS that cell phone towers and actual GPS satellites use for phones to triangulate their position.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

6. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    #6 TestShoot, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020