360 - Ferrari 360 - A Modern Build (Forged Carbon) | FerrariChat

360 Ferrari 360 - A Modern Build (Forged Carbon)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ferrari360FW, May 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    Sup y’all.

Figured I should document my 360 Modena project here too!

After almost going insane with possibilities, I’ve finally decided to modify the sh*t out of my 360 to create a one of a kind project.
    Giant sacrilege ahead, you have been warned. :D

I know this is going to be controversial, but I’m comforted by the fact that there’s enough purist keeping the car stock as it should be & that my misbehaviour will be dampened somewhat.

This build is mostly aesthetics rather than the CS-styled performance builds we’ve seen the legends did.
    I’ll mean I’ll still be doing a bit of software tuning stuff, but here in Singapore, we’re mostly breaking laws just breathing into the damn engine bay.

After toying with Photoshop for weeks, putting up Instagram polls, digging up the internet for previous attempts, I’ve been cautiously changing stuff bits by bits…

The idea:
    The Ferrari 360 is some of the most beautiful & elegant models since 250 GTO & I’m not about to break that balance, but I do want to bring the latest and great Ferrari design language into it, without the restrictions of period-correctness…

With forged carbon recently innovated by Lamborgini (not sure if that’s a bad word around here. :p), I’ve decided to explore the rawness of that material into this build, while incorporating the design language of the F430 Scuderia, 488 Pista into the build.

Front Bumper:
    Drafted a slightly longer front nose, combined with larger vents and carbon blades. This will either be manufactured & custom made in highest quality Forged Carbon or Fibreglass, will test & weight them to decide on final combinations.

Side Skirt:
    For now, we will use the CS skirts as a base but with custom intake carbon vents. This should be rather final unless we can come up with an even purer design.

Mirrors:
    I’m exploring GT3 mirror from the 488 race car, that will be redone in forged carbon. It might look a tad funky, but initial rendering shows good results. See below.

Rims:
    Depending on the contacts I’ll be working with, it might or might not be possible to custom make a set of SP2 Monza styled rims to fit the 360. Will discard idea if the quality is not up to the highest of standards.

Rear “flat” wings:
    These would be heavily based on the tongue/tail as seen on the 488 Pista. 1 piece replacement & 2 piece attachment, done in carbon for weight concerns.

Lights:
    The hardest decision of all. I appreciate what Pininfarina did with the seamless look, but I wake up day after day deliberating on leaving the colour-matched headlights alone or getting them done in black (or maybe even chrome).
    It was frustrating, I'm not kidding, my wife was getting tired of me showing her photoshopped Ferrari 360s. What made matters worse was the attempted results shown online were not very promising. In the end I went ahead and painted them a matte Dark Chrome while airbrushing my signal lights orange (F430 inspired) & that ended my agony.

Rear bumper:
    Have no concrete ideas drafts of the rear bumpers as of now but most initial drafts are modelled after the F430 Scuderia... With extra attention paid to getting more heat out...

(Stay tuned while I figure out how to upload photos without losing all of what I typed.:confused:)

kes7u likes this.
  2. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
  3. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I think it looks good. Still looks like a 360 but what it may look like if it were to be produced today.

Ferrari360FW likes this.
  4. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Sorry I’m ignorant. What is forged carbon?

Nice sketches. Looking forward to the build.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Ferrari360FW likes this.
  5. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    The rear needs to match the aggressive front end...any drawings for the rear??

Caphill and Ferrari360FW like this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I hope someone can enlighten me also...as far as I can work out it's normal carbon fibre, squashed down (?), to give it a different look, but I'm pretty sure it loses all structural advantages that traditional carbon has

7. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I don’t think it is weaker Bas. Lamborghini has been using it on its cars for a few years now. Most prominently on the performante. I’m wondering whatever happened to nanotube tech. It was supposed to be lighter and stronger than carbon fiber.

I agree with Flee. An updated rear with LED taillights would complete the look. Maybe 4 smaller diameter Pista tail lights.

Caphill, Ferrari360FW and Bas like this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Having read into it a little bit now, it seems to be a marketing tool rather than something new and better. In Lamborghini's it's used as mostly interior bits and non structural outside bits (the wing is likely a layer of ''forged'' carbon).

It's not used in F1 or other racing hence my suspicions...

9. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    May well have been a marketing gimick. I’m looking forward to seeing a rear end design Scuderia comes up with.

Caphill and Ferrari360FW like this.
  10. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    That's correct, forged carbon has even been used for even the suspension control arms for the Sesto Elemento. It would do what traditional carbon fibre couldn't, that is to provide strength in all direction instead of twisting, due to the advanced "all directional" molding instead of cabin fiber sheet laying.

Parts that traditionally would have been only possible in aluminium and titanium (complex geometries and subject to combined loadings) are now possible to be made in this lightweight ultra material.

As far as I know, it's also a marketing gimmick for lower manufacturing cost. It should be more of "mold injection" carbon than "forged" carbon.
    But since it's an improvement as a new material, lighter & stronger, cutting cost is a plus. (although no one likes to know that their supercars is using "cheaper" material... but by no means this project is going to be "cheap", I am intending to cover back the damage with eventually selling my design too, doing similarly styled body kits for in this new exciting material.)

Plus I'm mostly mystiqued & motivated by the pure aesthetics of Forged Carbon. Surely it'll brings some edginess into my build!
    (I am mildly surprised & glad that you guys are taking my project well! I thought I would spend more time on the "why".)

I'm working hard on the rear, it's not as nearly easy as the front, the 360's rear has always been one of the iconic Ferrari looks alongside the 355...
    I did consider new rear LEDs: the new F8 styled lights, if I'm not wrong, they are the exact same if not similar to the 812. :)

Bas likes this.
  11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    OK folks. I found a link that tells what Forged Carbon is (below) The short answer: Think of it like laying down fiberglass with a chopper gun. They used chopped up carbon fiber mixed with resin and cure it in a press/mold. The mold squeezes out most of the resin so it is close to dry but lacks the structure of CF. That way they don't have to do a layup for a complex shape. Just put in the fiber mixed with resin, press it, and cure. IE: it will never have the structural strength of CF like used in F1. I would probably be similar to or maybe somewhat stronger than CF that has a lot of resin used in the process.

https://carbonfibergear.com/blogs/carbonfiber/what-is-forged-composite-a-new-way-of-using-carbon-fiber

12. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    Here's a first look at the manufactured parts that I've started putting into the interior & some other rough draft/sketch we have been doing.
    Note the new style steering wheel! It's something that I ultimately want to do (in Forged Carbon of course!) although I'm facing restrictions from the lack of VIN for the newer car. (If any Portofino, 812 drivers can help out would be great!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

brogenville and imahorse like this.
  13. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    RANDY6005, KC360 FL and irix like this.
  14. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Are those the final interior carbon pieces? Or is that a rendering or first draft? I couldn’t tell if this was still in the design phase.

I think for your carbon interior pieces, you should avoid the whitish marbling and keep it dark black and medium black mix. The white or light flecks really look kind of like a laminated countertop. Like fake marble. I would go for the raw black carbon look which would look more purposeful and avoid the fake marble similarity.

Your car so I apologize if my comments are not the way you view the material.

Robb

psych0hans and Ferrari360FW like this.
  15. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    #15 Ferrari360FW, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Ah moderator! Do you have any idea how I could change my username?

Yes, I turned up the contrast of the photo a fair bit. They were really blurry & couldn't capture the looks of the forged carbon. These photos aren't accurate without my DSLR, but it's the best my silly phone could do for now.

Yes, they are a bit darker mix in person! Most exterior parts aren't final, I'm evolving and changing about things till I "nailed it". I agree on the sleeker black carbon and marble looks, but I kinda avoid looking too close to the next project, and over time, came to have likened the FC material more and more, as "strange" as it may look. :)

(Due to lack of similar Forged Carbon projects, I've decided to post mine! Otherwise I rather just lurk around in forums usually!)

16. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Well I think your project is cool. I enjoy the cars as they left the factory but leave room for individuals to customize however they see fit to enjoy. I like the raw carbon I have seen on the latest Lambo and Aston’s especially on the interior door panels on the db11 in various colors.

But incorporating modern stuff and 20 year old designs is always difficult to pull off. Like you, I have mixed feelings on the aluminum interior panels on my 360. Some time ago, I thought I might cerakote them (paint coating) to be black to give the car a more modern look. But over time in ownership, I’ve come to like the aluminum look more and I’m just enjoying it “as is” at the moment.

I’m not a fan of the normal fabric carbon fiber on everything because it seems to get overused and it’s main purpose was lightening race cars not an interior finish. It can have the same effect as “too much armor-all” on every surface.

I’m a fan of the exterior look of the challenge stradale with a bit more of a sharpness to the 360’s still feminine curves. And I also like the challenge cars. Look at some of the other custom designed Ferrari’s of a similar era from Pininfarina or their one-off cars to get a better sense of what would look right and not tacked on.

I enjoyed visiting Singapore. I photographed the Sports Hub when completed for the architects. Cool area with nice design. Saw a 599 outside a laundry I was visiting one day. It had a nice exhaust on it. Red. Very nice with the challenge wheels.

On the mod side, users are allowed only one change of their name in the lifetime of being a member on Ferrarichat. So think wisely before taking this step. Send me a PM with the new name request and I will send it to the guys that do that.

Best.

Robb

Caphill likes this.
  17. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    My only other recommendation for you is to keep the exterior lines or “moves” as simple as possible. When a car looks like areas have been carved out of a beautiful mass, it’s generally successful. When the design shows lots of “pieces” added onto that mass, it feels a bit more like a kit that is trying too hard.

This is where past tuners (even very high dollar ones) have failed with Ferrari. Things look tacked on.

That never seems to work out.

Robb

Caphill, one4torque and KC360 FL like this.
  18. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    You are right! Indeed bringing a modern twist to the classic is a genuine challenge. But ultimately, I do hope I'll be able to pull it off!

Same here, I appreciated the look of carbon fiber, but I find that carbon fiber may further date an interior even more so than the original classic look.

Of course, for forged carbon to work, there's major reworking to be done to the interior using new parts from the newer cars. But I'll keep interior progress a surprise for now!

I'm trying to make very subtle yet modernised lines to the 360, no canards, protruding sideskirts & the likes.
    Pretty confident I'd make it work. (at least for myself):D

Drop me a PM if you ever come by Singapore again! Could show you around. (although with COVID19, no one is going anywhere for now.)

Shortened quote for ease of read.

19. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    Yes, done wrong and it definitely will cheapen the car... Not worth exchanging "elegant classic" to "interesting". Have already kept your advice in considerations!

20. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
  21. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    First off let me say I like your design philosophy. Spot on. As for the forged carbon look, it's not for me but I would just paint them (exterior pieces) to match the car if I bought them. Helps avoid the "tacked on" look that has been mentioned. The interior pieces would probably sell well, but just not me.

The longer nose is a no go for me. The proportions of the 360 are perfect. A longer nose looks like to me the later GTC 330s (1968-'69). Not a good look IMO.

The headlights, well for me it's the only thing that I kind of, sort of, don't really warm up to on the 360. They look "right" but then-- not. I like the charcoal gray you have painted them. I've seen black and to me it's too dramatic and looks wrong. The dark gray matte is a wonderful improvement. In college we were taught that gray matting for any color artwork was the norm. Gray always compliments all colors. For me a nicely styled "updated", perhaps LED replacement would be a winner.
    But with that said, I have designed and manufactured my own parts (mostly body parts) and I realize the costs involved. So there's that ;)

Keep on Sir. Nice work and best of luck to you. I look forward to seeing the progress.

tonyc and Ferrari360FW like this.
  22. FR500GT

FR500GT Rookie

Jan 26, 2020
    Orange County, CA
    I like the concept and most of your ideas! Looking forward to watching updates.

Ferrari360FW likes this.
  23. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    Thank you! I don't come from design school, but was previously at world level in figurine customisation (at one point - top 10). So I'm 80% sure I'm not going completely out of the books. :p Yes, you have no idea the time I spent visualising the lights with no real examples on the net. Thank you for the kind remarks!

I do wish to explore transplanting Porsche's Dynamic LED system from the 718 Cayman (~$8000 part) in the future... But that's looking to be challenging & I'll leave that for a stage 2 budget.

I agree on painting most stuff body colours, but I'll leave just a tad of Forged Carbon exposed, for the edgy look! (see pictures above!)

I am very excited for this project!
    Recently found a partner who can help me in the manufacturing & measuring process.

KC360 FL likes this.
  24. Ferrari360FW

Ferrari360FW Karting

Nov 12, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Issac Teh
    Skidkid and KC360 FL like this.
  25. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Generally, I don't like any of the aftermarket wheels. I really don't like black wheel, I do like dark gray. I think those wheels look great!

SoftwareDrone, VAF84 and Ferrari360FW like this.