Dead short, please help! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dead short, please help!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraritalian, May 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraritalian

Ferraritalian Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So I brought it to that shop and a young guy was doing intake at the counter instead of the old dog. I explained what had happened, that it was a dead short and the other shop said it was bad diodes. He brought it straight over to the bench to test it, hooked it up and POOOF, a big grey cloud of burnt smell smoke.

We chuckled a little and he said he would call me after it’s fixed. Fingers crossed. Might be calling Robs’s place in Cali next, lol.

The road Ive been down on this car since buying it last year... all I can do is laugh at the next obstacle. Feels like a Road Runner cartoon.

BLACK HORSE and Saabguy like this.
  2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Sounds like his test fried something that wasn't fried prior to the test. If it wasn't broke, it is now! :( Troubleshooting isn't supposed to be a destructive process... ;)

Ferraritalian likes this.
  3. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    A couple hours after making that post, they called me to say it’s ready to go. Guy said, ‘‘yeah, your Battery was hooked up backwards somehow, so make sure it’s not still like that.’’

Got it. :)

Saabguy and BLACK HORSE like this.
  4. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yeah, the other shop had said the regulator was OK. This repair included a new rectifier (diodes) and a regulator, so I think that was what got smoked. Price wasnt much different than last time, so its OK.

5. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I think I could figure out a way to put a Delco 10SI or 12SI alternator on there if getting the Bosch unit redone is a pain.. Nobody would ever know, you can't see it, you can barely get to it....

You would have to make new bracket to replace part #26 on the parts diagram posted.

Doug

6. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yeah, decent point, but unlike every other single thing on this car, getting the alternator repaired has proven to be a painless experience. Everything before and after is hell x 2, but Mr Auto Electric fixed it within 24 hours, for essentially the same price as when they fixed it last Spring, even if they burnt up an extra part along the way.

No complaints here.

7. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Great regulator testing explanation!

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  8. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    There are only two wires, excitation field and output, neither should have tension voltage so not sure your intention

9. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
  10. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, it’s back home. Nice 40 mile ride back. Beautiful new interior, stock design wheels and I guess everything is working for now!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Saabguy and kiwiokie like this.
  11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    These cars are not technically complicated......good for you, looks great!!!

12. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    See OP below.

Glad it's all sorted now!

Sergio Tavares and Ferraritalian like this.
  13. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As always, thanks to all for your generous help. I still cannot believe how much information I get on this site.

Milkshaker0007 and Saabguy like this.