458 - Little white reservoir under engine bay panel | FerrariChat

458 Little white reservoir under engine bay panel

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by craigburton, May 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. craigburton

craigburton Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Does anybody know what the little white reservoir under the right engine bay panel is for? It’s not the coolant reservoir, it’s the small one further forward. Mine looks like it has oil in it, but it’s filthy dirty oil... my worry is that no fluids in my car should be that dirty, based on the fact that it’s never missed an annual service (by franchised dealers) and doesn’t do more than 2,000 miles a year. Also the car has LITERALLY just come back from this years annual and the coolant level is low. I’ve just had to add more than a litre just to get it back to its lower level! How the hell can a dealer service dept miss that!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  3. craigburton

craigburton Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Thanks for your reply Ray. I figured out what it is. It’s the lift kit reservoir. I’m going to have a word with my dealer tomorrow. I’ve also discovered they didn’t do the brake fluid change!? So they missed the brake fluid and also the low coolant. I’m beginning to wonder if they have changed the oil filter too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Never a dull moment.

Myself, I always go back and speak with the actual person working on my car and make sure they know what they are doing. Just because someone has a job at a dealership, it doesn't mean they aren't a flipping moron.

Ray

5. jomarti1

jomarti1 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    S. Florida
    What dealer?

6. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Typical of Ferrari, they have some rather strange procedures in place for how frequently they do their servicing. Case in point: I brought my ‘13 Spider in for its last dealer-covered annual, and the dealer did not change the oil or filter. When I inquired as to why not, the explanation I received is the car hadn’t gone 5000 miles and it was under a year since its last service.

Their service report did indicate a belt change and brake fluid flush, which I could confirm was done. I found a great Indy locally that can do all this, so no biggie for me. I’m on my own nickel anyway from this point forward

But in your case, I’d be a bit dismayed that a fluid was never changed, or offered to be changed if it was the owner’s responsibility.

P.S. check the service report to see what they claimed to have done as a starting point.

7. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #7 Jorligan, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    I think that you are referring to the fluid for the front lifter. It is filled with hydraulic fluid (power steering fluid) so it is dark. That is why I do my own fluid changes. Realistically, you do not need to change the brake fluid every 2 years as recommended assuming you use high quality brake fluid. Change is necessary because of water absorption which could lead to loss of brakes if they got too hot which is highly unlikely unless you track the car in which the fluid should be changed a minimum of annually. On the other hand, you should brake hard and activate the antilock system as the brake fluid in the antilock system is frequently not part of the main brake fluid supply and unless they manually cycle the antilock pump when changing the brake fluid, it isn't changed.