Finally Got My Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 | FerrariChat

Finally Got My Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by hwyman, May 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    I hate the look of aftermarket head units in cars so was happy as a pig in **** when Blaupunkt released this. Looks like the original but has bluetooth streaming and modern audio source inputs. Plus you can adjust the color of the display to match the instruments.. unlike Ferrari with a yellow display on green instruments. Maybe not everyones cup of tea but a way modernize the old beast without ruining the era look. Easy install too, uses the same plugs/wiring as the Becker... no more cd changer tho
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    very period correct, congrats.

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Very interesting. I have the original in my Bentley. This looks like a worthwhile upgrade.

4. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    It’s worth a look honestly. Keeps the look but you get hands free, streaming, etc to make the car just that extra bit more practical. Price was a bit steep.. but seems high quality. Sucks it’s made in China not Germany but that’s the way it is these days

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Bravo, Blaupunkt, for making these updated retro-style radios available!

wbklink and Robb like this.
  6. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Taking those pics of the stereo have morphed into replacing the HVAC panel and shift knob lol

7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Price - seems to be around £400 / $500 - looks quite reasonable to me, considering what you get and it is a premium brand (even if made in the land of coronavirus!).

8. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Yeah its a quality item it seems and the benefit of looking like an OEM fit makes it worth the $$

9. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    . Sucks it’s made in China not Germany but that’s the way it is these days[/QUOTE]
    Hopefully not for long .....

10. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    I agree, but I think its wishful thinking

Bluebottle likes this.
  11. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Can you tune in Chinese radio stations? :)

12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Not a good idea. You might catch something.

13. ValentinoQV

ValentinoQV Karting

Jun 29, 2016
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Vannoy
    I just purchased the same for my 1985 308 GTS QV. Anybody have any speaker suggestions to match up to this? I'm looking for something that will fit into the factory spot behind the door panel. Also, does anyone know what the actual speaker size I should be looking for is?

14. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    How can I find out if this is available for a 2002 456M GT

15. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    I think the 456 needs to move the wiring from the trunk to the console since I believe the head unit in the console is only a remote and the stereo is in the trunk. I could be wrong. The Bremen is pretty short, like half as long as the Becker was so you may be able to fit it in the console but you would need to find out where the power and speaker lines are.

16. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This is one of my go-to things on every early 2000's car. Like you guys, the aftermarket radios totally kill the feel of an interior. Here's my 996 Turbo with one of the Continental units w/ BT audio.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    awesome - really cool

18. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #18 NE550, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    I'm intrigued by this head unit. For around $400 that's quite a good deal compared to the similar one Porsche sells for old air-cooled 911s for over $1,000. The stereo system in my 550 sounds like crap, but I'm not sure if it's deteriorated speakers, the stock head unit or the aftermarket amp/equalizer that needs replaced, or all of the above (suspect it's mostly the speakers). Having Bluetooth streaming and a period correct look would be great, though. I'd keep the stock unit in case I ever sell the car.

Anyone have a good recommendation for replacement speakers?

19. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    I picked up some Focals but I think any 4" front mid speaker and 5x7 rear works. I put an adapter plate and used 6.5" rears though due to better options. I dont have an amp so got speakers that dont require 80W RMS to sound decent

NE550 likes this.
  20. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    So I found a Focal amplifier that comes with a wiring harness that connects inline to the oem Becker wiring. So no cutting or modifying, and to revert to original just unplug the amp and plug straight into the back of the becker. I should get it soon and will verify the wiring. Its a small amp so not for an earth shattering stereo install but will provide 60W RMS to the 4 speakers. I used a 5x7 adapter plate for the rear to use 5 1/4 component speakers. Again, it wont be a bass machine but should offer some better sound quality than OEM.

NE550 likes this.
  21. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Wish I saw this before installing my Pioneer 80prs!

Looks great. Needs a trim ring though seems like?

22. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Thanks oddly I installed an 80PRS as well, I got the harness luckily so didnt cut any wires. The deck was malfunctioning from the start, you had to press on the faceplate for it to work, was pretty bummed. The Blaupunkt fits perfectly its just the angle of the pic, fits just like the Becker

23. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Which Focal amp did you get? Any pics of where you mounted it?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

24. cuse92

cuse92 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I have one of these head units in one of my aircooled 911s. I'll be interested to hear what you think about it. I generally like it (it is much better than the Porsche Classic head unit in my other 911, which cost more than twice as much), but I find the controls quite fiddly particularly when on the move, and I often have difficulty connecting my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9+) for Bluetooth, which I use for music streaming mostly. Let us know how it works for you! Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    I got the Focal 4.320 amp, not mounted yet since Im waiting on the ISO Y connector so I can plug and play it. I agree the buttons and the controls are not great for being on the move, but they tried to jam all these functions into a 50 year old design so Im pretty happy. Ive had no connectivity issues with the Iphone 11 at all yet. The sound is decent. I honestly just wanted bluetooth functionality from a deck that didnt look like it belonged on the USS Enterprise.. I find aftermarkey decks dont mesh with any car interior.... some may like the look but I personally don't.. so this fit my criteria. I'll let you know more about the amp when I have it hooked up.

docapl likes this.