Water Pipe/Alternator Clearance Question | FerrariChat

Water Pipe/Alternator Clearance Question

Discussion in '308/328' started by chasjen, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chasjen

chasjen Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2013
    Dublin, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    The water pipe on the passenger side of the engine which extends down and comes extremely close to the alternator pulley. There is evidence on the pipe that it has come in contact with the pulley. Suggestions? Is it as simple as repositioning the pipe? Anyone else have this issue? Thanks

2. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I would adjust tubing by the two rubber hoses on either end. It is a close fit. Mine has never touched. 1982 308GTSI

3. chasjen

chasjen Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2013
    Dublin, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    That’s my plan. I didn’t know if there were any other clever solutions. Thx

4. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I zip-tied a short piece of rubber hose in the critical area and adjusted the pipe so that it was closer to the gas tank side than the pulley side.

6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    A piece of rubber hose over the pipe is a good idea. I had to have that pipe welded up because it rubbed against the metal band that holds the gas tank in place. So too close either direction will get you damage. I vote to protect the pipe and err towards the gas tank.

Attached Files:

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- needs to be restrained to the gas tank strap, but also protected from whatever is doing the restraining. Even a zip tie will eventually damage the aluminum tube if in direct contact.

Saabguy likes this.
  8. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
  9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Make sure that rubber piece doesn't rub up against the alternator. That would almost be worse.

10. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
  11. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I would be concerned that the wire will eventually 'saw' thru the aluminium water pipe.

12. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    +1

Just think about this metal wire against your vibrating aluminum tube as the engine is running.

I have found that if you have one rubber hose out of alignment in the cooling pipe system, you often have to losen up several rubber joints either upstream or downstream to get every pipe to have the correct clearance. Because there are so many connections with rubber hoses, there is a wide range of motion of the pipes as they go from one to another. I often have to adjust them as a complete system to get all the correct clearances.

ferrariowner likes this.
  13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It will. Proper adjustment of the pipe via the hoses seems sufficient, in my opinion.

308 milano and ferrariowner like this.
  14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Got'a love these fixs to imaginary problems. If it rubs it's not installed correctly. Correct it and no problem.

brian.s, 308 milano and waymar like this.
  15. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Three of my coolant pipes had damage from vibrating against hard objects. Both pipes exiting the engine and one of the front connecting pipes to the radiator. After having the damage corrected and not knowing if this is typical or not I thought some protection was warranted. So shoot me for trying to be helpful. I thought that was the purpose of this forum.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

16. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Kiwiokie,
    Please don't take it personally, forum members are just providing their input. Take or leave it at your will. Feedback helps us all make informed choices.

17. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    The wire ,air con unit and pipe move together remember.Any movement is negligible I think .
    The wire is that really soft almost lead deformable stuff , probably softer than the Alloy pipe .
    Consequently there’s no evidence of any abrasion marks on the pipe caused by the wire .

The top connector hose looks pretty new ...hence the potential misalignment.

Next time I remove the wheel well liner , I’ll take a closer look at it all .
    It’s last cam belts were done ( according to the SH file ) by a prominent London official Ferrari Service centre .

Suspect originally it was placed a few years back when the car was in Italy, it’s a import to the U.K. .
    Thanks for the heads up re potentially rubbing through guys .

18. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Thanks Ferrariowner but I think you may be flattering the intent of some of the characters in this thread ;-) I have been a member of the Rennlist 928 forum for 20+ years, Pelican Parts 911 forum for 15 years, AlfaBB for probably the same , LotusEuropa.org about 8 years and would say this forum certainly has its own unique style. After a long, frustrating and unsuccessful day wrestling with a fuel tank strap that seems to have shrunk an inch in the 5 years it has been off the car, the comments struck me as just sad and tiresome. The irony is I would start a thread requesting help with the fuel tank strap but unless one of a handful of generous contributors replied it would likely result in either silence or condescension :)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

TonyL likes this.
  19. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
  20. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Factory mod or not, thats a solution i came up with as well. it works
    Another source of potential problem is the coolant hoses passing next to the gear linkage rod.

21. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yep... the pulley made a small gouge in the coolant pipe... I had it welded up and filled in... New again!

22. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I don't think it is stock, but I like it.

23. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    that's the same shape type size clamp used on my 328 1989, identical
    when i did my cam seals/belts, you can see it undone ready for re assembly

Attached Files:

24. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    That clamp is on the parts diagram for 328s. Those are original. Perhaps it's not so unusual for a 308 to have issues with the pipe rubbing on something since the factory saw the need to secure it through that space.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Milkshaker0007 and BLACK HORSE like this.
  25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Definitely not an early 308 part, but it does as posted above solve the issue!