Low Oil Pressure Light | FerrariChat

Low Oil Pressure Light

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by AU_911tt, Apr 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AU_911tt

AU_911tt Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Chase
    I recently purchased a 2010 458 with 10k miles on it. It is a very well cared for car and passed PPI with no issues. However, in the last few days I have now noticed twice that under hard acceleration in lower gears (2 or 3rd) that the low engine oil pressure warning will flash up for a few second on the left. It The first time I shut down instantly. The second time it stayed up for 2-3 seconds and then went away and the gauge was showing proper oil pressure. The oil level is correct as well and no leaks can be seen.

I have done some searching and it seems some other Ferrari models have suffered from faulty oil pressure sensors. I haven't found much info for the 458 though. Is this likely just a faulty sensor? Are those a common item to fail on the 458?

Thanks for the help.

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The car does have an oil pressure gauge. What is the pressure showing when the light goes on?

Ray

3. AU_911tt

AU_911tt Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Chase
    The first time I did not have it pulled up. The warning only stays on for maybe two seconds. The second time it went off as soon as I noticed as well and by then the gauge was showing normal psi

4. AU_911tt

AU_911tt Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Chase
    I spoke with Ferrari of Atlanta earlier regarding the issue and he said it likely could be the sensor and suggested to drive some more to see if it continues.

I drove it briefly this evening and got it to do it again. It seems to always be near redline under acceleration. It only stays up a second or two but I was able to see the gauge wasn’t showing zero. It minimizes the gauge so it’s tough to read quickly but it was above the 35 psi mark.

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    at redline it should be wayyy above 35 psi. What pressure are you seeing at idle and what pressure are you seeing while cruising on the highway at say 4000 rpm?

also, what is the ambient temperature outside, and what weight oil are you running?

Ray

6. AU_911tt

AU_911tt Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Chase
    According to receipts from recent service it is running 5w40. I have attached picture showing idle at operating temps. I highlighted in red the range it is normally in when cruising and near redline.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My guess is sensor. Always start with the easiest stuff FIRST.

Never assume.

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Pressure looks okay. Could be a faulty sensor or something. I'd use the age old trick of disconnecting the battery to clear the ECU and then follow the reconnection procedure in the owners manual.

Not sure which brand of oil you are using, but I personally use Motul for just about everything over here.

How many miles since your last oil change?

Ray

9. AU_911tt

AU_911tt Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Chase
    It doesn't note the brand of oil but the oil change was done within the last 3-400 miles. I will try reseting ECU. Thanks for the help

RayJohns likes this.
  10. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    If you really marked the oil pressure at higher revs with your upper red line, this looks not Ok. Should be above 75 psi. Still could be the sensor, though.

RayJohns likes this.
  11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I think you are correct - and I'm mistaken in saying it looks okay previously (above). I just ran across this video I made of my 458 showing voltage at start up:

If you watch the oil pressure, it's well above the 75 PSI mark.

It's been a while since I sold the 458, but I do recall oil pressure at idle was always around 35 PSI or just a bit under. So that leads me to agree with you that at redline it should be up into the 70-75 ranges I would think. I wonder if the warning light is a function of the ECU seeing oil pressure below a certain threshold vs. the RPM's? If this is something the car monitors, perhaps it's not a faulty sensor, but a warning based on oil pressure being below what the ECU expects to see.

Of course, this could also just be a sensor giving a flawed reading to the ECU.

I have a transmission apart on my work bench right now and the reverse lamp switch is giving me screwy resistance measurements - so things do fail and go off track. Even Toyota parts fail haha. Who knows with Ferrari / FIAT.

If it were me, I'd switch to Motul oil and pull the oil sending unit off and toss it into a sonic cleaner for a bit.

Ray

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Im not familiar with Dry sump ( im getting there and learning a lot from my 488 GTB ) but normal wet sumps the pressure will increase with rev's. Stands to reason , more revs more oil > increase in pressure . There should be a fairly good Delta . If not check sensor . If that's not the issue all I can say is :( Been there done that.

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    So less than 15lbs pressure at warm idle is normal for a 458 with fresh oil? Asking as I don't know myself.

14. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    Don't know, what's normal. I think it depends heavily on the sensor, which is not very precise in many cases. My car is around 1,2 - 1-5 Bar at 80 C and idle and around 5,5 - 6.0 Bar above 2000 RPM. But the gauge is jumping around like a frog, so I think it can only be used for rough orientation.

15. AU_911tt

AU_911tt Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Chase
    Well, I switched the sensor today with a new one and that didn’t fix the issue. Looks like it needs to go to the shop.

16. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    Please keep us informed. Never heard about a 458 with oil pressure issue.

Melvok likes this.
  17. AU_911tt

AU_911tt Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Chase
    Will do, they are thinking possibly failed oil pump

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I think its a sensor …. not the first one :)

19. AU_911tt

AU_911tt Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Chase
    We have replaced oil pressure sensor and that didn't fix the issue unfortunately

20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Pitty .... now …. what is next ?

21. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    if there is the belief that the oil pump is the cause, and that you truly have had multiple instances of low/no pressure at high RPM & Load, get an oil sample sent to Blackstone labs. Find out how much metal the engine produced in these couple of instances. Good luck!

22. PUMPDAD

PUMPDAD Rookie

May 16, 2020
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi guys

anyone know how to unclip the oil pressure sensor from its housing, I cant visibly see it so its a case of touchy-feely

Thanks in advance

QUOTE="Melvok, post: 146577101, member: 67163"]Pitty .... now …. what is next ?[/QUOTE]

23. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The gauge shouldn't jump too much. Mine was jumping as well, then I cleaned the connector, and it improved a lot. Now when it's warm and steady throttle, it will have a small jitter every 10 or 20 seconds. I think that's normal.

24. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yeah, it's normal for idle with a fully warm engine

Solid State likes this.
  25. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sorry to hear that. Was the sensor easy to replace? were you able to reach down and remove without removing the manifold (like it shows in shop manual?), to me, it looks like it can be replaced without removing intake.
    Did you lose a lot of oil, or did you do it with an oil change after draining the oil?