458 NOOB LOOKING | FerrariChat

458 NOOB LOOKING

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 5859, May 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 5859

5859 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hess
    Just started my first Ferrari search and have def gone down the rabbit hole, 512TR to a 430 and saw a few things about how the 458 is a better more modern car compared to the 430, so preliminary searching for one and came across this local one for sale:
    2010 Italia 36K miles $129K
    few pics, I dont know anything about it other than that, just wondering if youd give your opinion on price vs miles vs options on this one. its comfortable within my budget, but I understand value with miles and options, I can wait and get another one later, specially given the current global market Im in no rush, however this is local to me and maybe they could be open to a 10-15% less offer. Sorry to being such noob and yes, the 512TR isnt comparable and im just waiting for the right color combo and car to pop up but would love to have a 430/458 in the mean time. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. 5859

5859 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hess
    [QUOTE="458 is a more better [/QUOTE]
    :D:D:D
    more modern/better car:rolleyes: haha

3. IceShard

IceShard Rookie

May 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I wouldn't go for it. It sounds like you plan to resell the car in a few years. from my experience, when you sell you will have no leverage in negotiations. the high mileage puts this car in uncharted territories, and prospective buyers will be scared off.

my 2 cents is wait for the right 512 and steer clear of this car.

5859 likes this.
  4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

This seems like a nice car for the price if it checks out with a PPI. If you are price conscious this car is way better than a 430. I’ve owned both. The mileage would not scare me off if it’s been well cared for. I bought a low mileage 430 spider and because it wasn’t driven much I had a 14k repair bill the first year of ownership. I bought my 458 spider and drove it 17,000 miles with absolutely no issues. Best , Kirk

5. 5859

5859 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hess
    Thanks for the advice yes, most likely sell it later but not necessarily for a 512 but to upgrade to a better one (458). Also, I would drive it often, on long trips too, so the miles would just keep on climbing and you got a point about resell a high mile car.

IceShard likes this.
  6. 5859

5859 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hess
    Thanks, yes that was my thinking about the price, more "bang" for my buck with a 458 than the 430. I agree with your analysis about driven VS not, and Im definitely in the "wanna drive it" camp and not just collect them. However also trying to be a lil conscious about miles/resell some day. Any insight in the options or benefits this particular car has for the value (aside the high miles)? thanks

7. IceShard

IceShard Rookie

May 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The car looks like it’s base spec except for the carbon fiber steering wheel. If you run the vin, records show the car has been sitting on a dealer lot for 2 out of the past 4 years. I think the price is low because the dealer wants to get rid of it.

Try contacting them directly to learn more. Forums will only get you so far.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5859 likes this.
  8. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    For the price it might be worth it, especially if you plan on putting on more miles. If you buy a low mileage, much more expensive car and then put on a bunch of miles it will still depreciate a bunch. Might lose less $$$ driving this one. You will likely be closer to the bottom of the depreciation curve with less room to fall.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5859 likes this.
  9. 5859

5859 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hess
    I didn't catch the VIN part at first, Im guessing you're local or saw it listed somewhere. Yes, I guess the best thing is to contact them, just wanted to be a better informed buyer before I take the next step. Thanks

IceShard likes this.
  10. 5859

5859 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hess
    Good point

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Never buy any car with the idea of what it will be worth to the next person. When I hear that my first thought is this is not really a car guy, just someone that wants to be seen is a car that draws attention. I have probably lost more than that car costs in one year of buying and selling my cars, but the cars served their purpose, which is what matters to me. Save your money and buy the car that has what you want, not the one that you can afford today.

Boomhauer likes this.
  12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    for 130k i wld def buy a 458 over 430 if i cld only have one of them. id take that car down asap. best 130k money can buy.

5859 and Cigarzman like this.
  13. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    If you can work your 10-15% discount you should be fine. When you want to resell with a lot more miles, you could list it under $100k. That would attract a lot of eyeballs.

5859 likes this.
  14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I think it’s a lot of car for the money regardless of the opinions. If you like the combo and the car checks out , service records , PPI etc I would buy it if I was in your position , meaning budget wise. Stop thinking resale and enjoy the moment, buying the car is half the fun. Best ,Kirk.

5859 likes this.
  15. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Nice color combo and make sure to get a PPI. As far as the mileage, it's surely high and the fact that is a '10, is also the reason why the price is so low. They didn't start to work the bugs out of the 458, until '12....
    You have the sitcker to post, so we can see the options?

5859 likes this.
  16. 5859

5859 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hess
    Maybe its never buy a "Ferrari or Exotic" with that idea. I come from a different school of thought. While I understand what you're sayin, Im a car guy through and through, with my collection of cars, all American classics; I can drive the piss out them, enjoy the hell out of them and without a doubt Im going to sell them for more, if I ever decided to sell. So, I dont subscribe to the idea that only a true car guy can buy, enjoy and loose money on cars. I see and hear car guys talk about that all the time, say how they've never made money on cars and that they're money pits, well guess what? they shouldn't be buying Ford Pintos (as example) and doing full frame off restorations on them. Its OK to think with your heart, but there are ways to minimize the losses if any.
    However, this brings up a good point that a 458 is like any new car (not a classic), it will depreciate no matter what, unless rare or no miles. SO, Ive been approaching this with my "classic car" mind set. So Carnut, thanks for the eye opener :)
    The question for me here really should be "is this particular 458 a good buy based on its options and miles" just like if I was buying a high mile Duramax that will depreciate every day.

17. 5859

5859 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hess
    cool, carfax shows its been leased its majority if its life w 3-4 owners leasing. Any thoughts on that?

18. 5859

5859 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hess
    Those were my initial thoughts, Thanks

19. 5859

5859 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hess
    They didnt post a pic of that, and I havent got that far into it yet. This is literally the first 458 I came across after thinking I should get a 458 instead of a 430. And its local which made it more appealing. So up to this point I was mostly concentrating in 430s till I find the 512 I want.

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Who cares- as long as it wasn’t a rental ur good

Sargepug and 5859 like this.
  21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    This is just not true

22. 17 488spider

17 488spider Rookie

May 22, 2020
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    If you are looking for an Ed Bolian spec 458, you might as well look no further. The car has modifications that make you heavily question the previous owner to say the least.

My advice: Get your local Ferrari dealer to inspect it before making a purchase.

5859 likes this.
  23. 5859

5859 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hess
    Can you elaborate? Im not familiar with 458 or the Bolian reference haha

And yes, before anything I would def get PPI done by local Ferrari

24. 17 488spider

17 488spider Rookie

May 22, 2020
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    What I mean by this is that the car is questionable. It's not necessarily rough from what I've seen in the pictures, but it is slightly suspect as the car was obviosly not cleaned for the photos and some mods were made that bring to question how the previous owner treated the car. Also, the mileage is crazy high. Most people would not recommend buying a supercar of any type with over 20k miles.

It might serve you better to look for a cleaner example as you will spend the difference in maintenance and general service as the car grows near to 50k miles.

5859 likes this.