What are some Ferrari Stereotypes? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What are some Ferrari Stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by revsto9k, Aug 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    I often get asked if it is true that it is only insured to drive on a weekend / a particular day of the week...

I guess people are confusing this with having a mileage restriction on your insurance policy.

2. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    My 308 is actually pretty good ... around 23 MPG city and freeway combined.

I had a contractor at my house installing some A/c the other day and he sees the 360. He asks about the gas mileage - I didn't have a clue. I have only had it a few months, so I made up a number similar to the 308.

Then I actually worked it out ... it seems to be closer to 12 MPG!! but then again it is very difficult to drive with a light foot!

3. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I told my father I bought a Ferrari, he scoffed that you have to drop the engine to do any maintenance on the car and this maintenance will cost you $20,000 a year.

psych0hans likes this.
  4. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    There, I fixed it for you. ;)

Auraraptor and m5shiv like this.
  5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    some of the people who drive ferraris are really giving the rest of us a bad name. most of the time in a normal non-car related social setting, i dont mention the cars myself, but invariably somebody who knows me brings it up. and then there is surprise that i am not an azzhole !

6. tomd308

tomd308 Karting

Jun 10, 2006
    gainesville florida
    Full Name:
    thomas dukas
    A Ferrari "expert" was standing near my 308 explaining to his buds how all Ferraris are v-12's and you have to fly a mechanic in from Italy to work on them.

psych0hans likes this.
  7. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I recall the British car guys griping about how the Italian car factories can't weld.

8. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    The Brits I know are proud of the fact their older cars being put together using screws and glue to fasten the wooden parts while their very newest Jag is put together almost exclusively with pop rivets, perhaps because British welding machines are made by Lucas, the inventor of the intermittent windshield wipers.

psych0hans likes this.
  9. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    #59 fabo, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    It's true... I saw it on the internet.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142866485-post5.html

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    These were quite entertaining. I, being mid-50's, have gotten both the midlife crisis comment, and the little pecker jab. Plus the, "I bet you only take it out on nice weekends" thingy. Here's my stock response:

"Ferrari stereotypes are rationalizations created by envious people who can't afford them."

Am I good at economy of expression or what?

Cheers,

Geo

12. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    A Co-Worker asked me today if Ferrari's are even insurable.

13. phriek430

phriek430 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Orange County, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Darrel
    Since I purchased my 360, I have heard rumors that I "Must be doing something on the side" hinting at illegal activity. Ummmm NO! I worked my arse off for it people! And yes, I do have a small penis, but its bigger than yours, just ask your wife! ;)

SingleClutch, IloveGT and psych0hans like this.
  14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    "All Ferrari owners are awesome in bed"
    "Sex in a Ferrari is soo much better than a Ford or Honda"

psych0hans likes this.
  15. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Actually, I have to challenge that one on personal experience.

There is much more head room in the ford :p

psych0hans likes this.
  16. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I guess you never tried the hatch in a FF.

17. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's actually not that far off!
    When I purchased my 360, my Allstate agent (whom I'm very friendly with) was having a hard time getting me a policy, even though I've been with them for over 20 years straight. Since I've had over a dozen cars, a house and an umbrella policy with them, they made an exception for me. If I was a new customer, they wouldn't have insured it! He was the same guy that insured a brand new Vette for me when I was only 24 years old. It was $1,100 per year and everyone else wanted $3500 and up. That's why I was shocked that he had trouble insuring the 360 20+ years later. It was a corporate decision to not insure it, he went to bat for me and somehow got it approved for me as an exception.
    If they didn't insure it, I would have had to find a company that accepted it, and it probably would have cost a lot more than $1,400/yr (that did go up since my daughter started driving :( ). Thankfully the rates are still reasonable for me through Allstate.
    I'm sure insurance rules change quite a bit depending where you live. Supposedly If I lived only 2 blocks away, the rates would be 10% higher for some reason.

18. Rnye

Rnye Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    We are waiting for our 360 to arrive from CA (first Ferrari) and are young...

The only stereotypes I've noticed/would perpetuate based on the local Cars and Coffee crowd is A: Ferrari owners sure sip the merchandise kool-aid (tacky jackets/hats/shoes/etc) and B: Are stuck up (from my experience).

Granted, I always show up in something understated and park in the back (track prepped 240Z, M5, etc.).. I have a feeling I'll be doing the same with the Modena. Hopefully ownership will net better experiences with the locals... I am a very active member of the Z community (and formally S2000 world) and love the friends there!

19. jason blood

jason blood Rookie

Dec 15, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    jason blood
    I feel that most stereotypes are based upon fact. California owners in general are sissys v8 ferraris are good, in general, other than convertibles which are for show offs and v12 drivers are way cooler.

20. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I believe that. It was a condition pre existing Ferrari ownership though.

21. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    can't revive a 6 year old thread without pictures of the riva.

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Jason, what about in line 4 owners???

Best regards,

Robert

Drson, tomc, Statler and 1 other person like this.
  23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yeah, like the engines in the Hunt/Lauda classic season? They were V6 turbos. :)

24. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    We don’t have many Ferraris here. Most of the comments I hear are along the lines of “I’ve got a friend with a really fast Corvette...”

I am supposing I get this response because Corvette is the most common sports car around here, and GM seems to always incorporate Ferrari styling cues into the Corvette. GM has been trying to make the Corvette appear as a mid engine car for a while now. They finally went it with the C8.

psych0hans likes this.
  25. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

there are posers and purist
    unfortunately the majority of owners fall in the first category
    any thing else is rubbish !