Renault and problems with Money | FerrariChat

Renault and problems with Money

Discussion in 'F1' started by Sig. Roma, May 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If I read correctly what French newspapers have said, the Economy Minister gave conditions for a possible rescue of Renault by the government.
    Renault would need to bring back some of its production in France as a pre-requisite to qualify for a state loan.
    The position of the French government is that the French taxpayers' money shouldn't be invested in foreign countries.
    In recent years, Renault relocated several plants abroad with the encouragement of the European Union.
    Renaults are increasingly made in Spain, Slovenia, Turkey, and South Korea, less and less in France.
    The announcement that Renault intends to close 4 more plants in France to reduce cost didn't go down well with the unions.

I don't expect the F1 team to survive much longer. I think Ricciardo is lucky to have found a berth at McLaren at short notice.

Isobel and vinuneuro like this.
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The press is asking if Ricci knew what was waiting for Renault as a Corporation given the not good economic environment. He moved thinking Renault as an entity are in trouble.

william and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    That's my assumption as well re: Ricciardo.

He made a smart move regarding Renault F1's "iffy" situation, McLaren getting Merc PU's, and also getting a "No. 1 status" at Mclaren.

Ricciardo and Lando are going to have a good time.....meaning they both are "comedic" characters out of the car.

Nembo1777, 375+, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    From Auto Express, and I agree with you other chaps, Ricci knew that money was short (probably told the F1 team didn't have the resources to develop the car as it needed). And another thought, sounds like the French (as are the Germans, and Italians) are now thinking that Europe as an entity is nearing its end. Good that the UK got out of it already. Sorry to be political.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/renault/352328/renault-rumoured-close-factories-and-axe-alpine-a110?_mout=1&utm_campaign=autoexpress_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Isobel and william like this.
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Certainly Renault is not in good shape, which does not bode well for its F1 future - McLaren does not seem to be financially shining either, though.

william likes this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep, Ricciardo may have just jumped out of the frying pan into the fire !

I hope not; I don't care about Renault in F1, but I would miss McLaren.

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Moderator please merge with main Renault thread, no point having two.

william likes this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  10. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Just for ****'s and grins, Honda should buy the team. That's my $0.02.

BTW, Cyril has said just recently that Renault isn't leaving F1 amid rumors that they are.

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    What about Flav?

12. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Buying his own F1 team??? I don't really see it.

Honda's engine has finally come up the ranks and has surpassed Renault.

Honda needs an F1 team now plus they currently have the cash to support and fund one.

13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Be careful... you might be the winning bidder with that offer!

Sunracer, Isobel and william like this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Like the other car makers, Honda is suffering from the economic situation, so caution will be needed to survive the crisis.

Its sales in Europe had dropped BEFORE Covid-19, forcing them to close their factory in Swindon (UK).

However Honda was doing well in the States and China.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  15. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    If Honda were to buy a team, surely it would be redbull...

As for Renault - even without a financial crisis their F1 team is in a bad way. Average chassis, worst engine, second rate drivers, but a budget to rival the top teams. That’s not a great investment return and as a shareholder I would be questioning whether it makes sense...

Sad to see the whole Renault group in trouble though. The French gov cannot afford to let them go bust even though a good chunk of their production is overseas. They will get the cash.

16. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Renault will get their bailout, but I don't see the team making it.

Isobel, Nembo1777 and william like this.
  17. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I don't see that happening. They left F1 before. They couldn't find any advertising then and they certainly won't find any now. I could be wrong, but it would still be a weird decision.

Simon^2 and william like this.
  18. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1. Who is looking for an F1 team none can race currently. Travel is limited etc etc. How long can Liberty exist with F1 is a good question. Liberty to have races must almost pay now. The maths don’t make sense. Some bored billionaire might have Renault interest? How long does Alfa have now? Racing is a luxury and is not required to sell a car. When contemplating a vehicle purchase, F1 or racing are not in the decision matrix lol!

william likes this.