488 Market | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Market

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Yumeoikake, May 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    25% less...wow that is aggressive. Why not pay a fair price...what is wrong in doing a fair evaluation and then paying a fair price. Save the price gouging for buying a Toyota or Volkswagen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

technom3, Solid State and BLKBLK like this.
  2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My steering wheel also has tilt and telescopic function, but it's just manual...and faster (and more reliable)

3. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    manual racing seat, of course!

but not Daytona seat.

AlfistaPortoghese and up4speed like this.
  4. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    fair price is what the market dictates. Did you often get so called fair price from the dealer before? I agree not to low ball fire sale from individuals, but with dealers, lol, I have no qualm at all. All they have to do is remember they have lowballed me before and say no to my offer.

5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    My only point is you can “start somewhere.” They say “no,” and then you move up from there.

Solid State and blkdiablo33 like this.
  6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I can understand the person wanting to know what a fair price is. If he doesn't want to go back and forth and paly games, and just want's to put a good number for both out there and be done.
    It can go like this:
    Starting at asking 250k. How about 205, no 240, nah, I was looking to go max of 210, I can't let it go under 230, well I can budge up a little but can't go 230, well if you're ready to buy come back and we will talk, but I'm ready now I just need you to go lower, If I told you 225 could you do it today, as I said it's a stretch so maybe I can push it to 220. How about we split it at 222.5? Ok deal!

Or it can go like this: I did my research, a fair price for both should be 222.5k, do it for that, and I buy right now, otherwise I will have to pass.....ok, I can make that work

7. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    1. It’s all about relationships.
    2. Dealers are in the business of selling cars and, hopefully, making some marginal profit to stay viable.
    3. Understand the make/model and market.

Knowing and leveraging these 3 things always ensured I got a fair price or I simply kept looking...but for me specifically, I don’t bargain shop for a Ferrari as there are often consequences if you get a good “deal”.

8. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Totally agree, if you read my latest post regarding the 3 things listed then you can see I fit into the second scenario...half the fun for me is the research and market analysis on a make/model and listing my must have options and spec details before seriously thinking of a purchase.

up4speed and dustman like this.
  9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If I was a private seller and fairly priced my car at $250k your first offer of $45k less would be insulting. The negotiation would not have proceeded with me knowing you were either not knowledgeable or not serious. Dealer would be different story but still too thin of a first offer to be taken seriously.

Clay512TR likes this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Agree totally.

I would be respectful also if it was from a Ferrari dealership. Because you need them.

An independent seller sorry I call them dodgy brothers and would go to town with them. Past experience , once bitten twice shy.

11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    well maybe because I am in Los Angeles with 4 dealers in my 50 miles radius, truth be told, I don't need to suck up any of them. Learned enough about the so called building relationships with Porsche, I will be extremely hard pressed to think otherwise with Ferrari, especially since it went public. When I tried to get my 812 allocation which was my 4th in 2 years, I already sensed the very similarity between Porsche and Ferrari handling of their so called special client. Buying another F12 at MSRP as the premium for the 812!? Hahaha.

Unless any of you guys are car dealer and know hope that dealers truly think of building relationships with clients, I say just don't blindly believe in the reciprocity of building relationships and so called loyalty. I challenge you to walk into a dealer today and say you have cancer, and see if they can help you out buying your FF or Lusso at the 25k above market. Remember they knew you would lose 100k the moment you drove your new car out of the lot.

The game is different now. You probably have more luck with any dealer if you have over 1 million Instagram subscribers as a social media influencers.

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    during 08 and 09, if you wanted to pay what we now know were those prices, you had to bid 30 to 50% off. ask me how i know.

AlfistaPortoghese and IloveGT like this.
  13. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    People are people and relationships with people matter...relationships with a “dealer” is not a direction I would ever take. The last relationship I leveraged in a dealer was a service manager and he was extremely helpful in getting my Speciale and I still consider him a great friend.

ScottS likes this.
  14. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Relationships with dealers are usually helpful, but don't expect miracles. Relationships with service departments are even more helpful, the more you tip them, the more helpful they become, lol.

15. Yumeoikake

Yumeoikake Rookie

Mar 22, 2018
    This is exactly why I was looking for a fair offer

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

up4speed likes this.
  16. Yumeoikake

Yumeoikake Rookie

Mar 22, 2018
    I want to thank everyone for replying my thread. I read all your posts and they are super helpful. Surprisingly I found the previous owner of the car I was looking at and had a great conversation with him. An awesome gentleman who really took care of his cars.

I would like to give you an update on my hunt in return of all your favor:

I test drove the car today and validated that the car is under impeccable condition. I offered the dealer $220k but it did not work out. Dealer was asking for $238k, which is not too bad but unfortunately it just doesn't work for me. The car is at Continental Ferrari in Chicago in case anyone is interested:

https://www.continentalautosports.com/inventory/certified-used-2018-ferrari-488-gtb-base-rwd-2d-coupe-zff79ala2j0232813

BLAMPEE likes this.
  17. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    $220 would have still been too much, so be glad they shot you down. Keep hunt going, there are plenty of options out there and more coming on market all the time. Be patient.

Yumeoikake likes this.
  18. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I looked at a Ferrari at an unspecified dealer. I made an offer similar to yours. The salesman replied “ The car has been reduced recently. I am not authorized to make any further reduction at this time .’’

I loved it and bought it at asking (reduced).

There are many cars out there. Buy what you like, seems reasonably priced, and can afford and forget about it.

The same buyer who obsesses about price (not suggesting that OP was) let’s their car sit to Jim Glickenhaus’ point.

Solid State likes this.
  19. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Nobody wants to be a sucker though. Fair is fair. I don't care how much or how little money I have, if I bought a car and paid $18,000 more than the guy next to me, for an equivalent car, I would feel bad and be mad at myself. For some it's just about the point, and for others, it may just be that little bit more than they want to spend. Either way, if someone is not comfortable they shouldn't do the deal. I don't know about you guys, but nothing makes me feel better than to think I got a great deal. However my minimum standard is a "fair" deal for both. I refuse to feel ripped off, no matter how much I like a car. I'll just find another. However, That doesn't mean that if I find an exceptional car, I wouldn't budge a little, and "justify" it being "fair", lol. For instance, if it's a local car where I can save on shipping, I may say to myself "well, I can go up $2,000 more on this car compared to others, since I save on shipping", etc.

20. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Looking at getting into a 488 as well, trading in my 25k mi 2010 Cali. Dealer asking $231k giving $70k against the Cali. 488 has lift, LED, Hifi full electric seats, sport exhaust, but not much else. Thoughts?

21. Yumeoikake

Yumeoikake Rookie

Mar 22, 2018
    It all depends on year, milage, and specifications (or MSRP).

For your reference, I just bought my 488 two weeks ago for $235k. The car is a 2018 rosso corsa with only 990 miles on the clock and a $362k MSRP.

Hopefully this would be helpful for your search. Good luck!

22. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like a nice deal, post pics!

Yumeoikake likes this.
  23. Yumeoikake

Yumeoikake Rookie