What's the fastest somebody you know has gone (in a 456/550/575)? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's the fastest somebody you know has gone (in a 456/550/575)?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by paulchua, May 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    best friends' dad did 330kph indicated on his (at the time) new 550.

Fastest I've driven is just over 300kph in an F10 M5, which got there with no trouble.

paulchua and F456M like this.
  2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Roadney, Qavion, paulchua and 3 others like this.
  3. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I had my Miura to about 140mph, briefly, on a 2 lane road. Front end was feeling a bit light so didn't push it any faster.

Kravin99 and paulchua like this.
  4. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    paulchua likes this.
  5. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
  6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The sensor is faulty.

7. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    No, just like to go fast. On the highways in Germany, it’s not a big deal at all, just as normal as getting groceries.

Of course from a safety perspective, the cars have to be approved for that use, which they are.

In the USA people have been socially conditioned to believe that speed is bad on a public highway.

Truth is that you can go faster on a public highway than on many racetracks in Germany and have less accidents per kilometer travelled.

I’m not advocating breaking the laws here, but some of them I disagree with even if I obey them.

Easiest go fast trip pre-Covid, fly to Germany, rent a decent car, get comfortable with the car for a day or so, then get on the autobahn and pin the pedal as traffic and the road rules allow.

Easy peasy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F456M and paulchua like this.
  8. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    There’s a car buddy local to me who was an astronaut

I’ll ask him how fast his orbits and re-entries were

Qavion and paulchua like this.
  9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    A touch over 300 kph betw. Zuffenhausen and Ludwigsburg very early morning in a company-owned 959.
    Then I thought "you can't afford to fix this car if you screw up"....
    Next I thought "you won't have to worry about fixing this car, if you screw up".....

F456M, red27, paulchua and 1 other person like this.
  10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    185 in the 512tr felt like a vault
    165 in the 512bbi very scary
    190+ in the f40 nervous
    165+ in the 456mgt like a vault
    180+ in the cs started to lift

VColin, Robb, mmyhorses and 3 others like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Amazing. Thank you for your service as well kind sirs. Thanks for sharing and I wish you both good health during this coronavirus craziness.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Somebody I know decided to go to an empty stretch of highway to see how fast their 456M GTA could go this last weekend. The fastest they got to was 140ish before the road began to run out. Thanks for letting me know the quoted top speed is true, 165 in the 456 is good enough for somebody I know. I think somebody I know is content with staying below 100 though now their curiosity has been assuaged.
    :)
    Thanks @ross

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You are lucky in Germany, where folks take driving seriously. The problem here in the states is nobody respects left lane discipline (among other things.)

Thanks for sharing, best to you.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    F456M likes this.
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

165 in my cl65

16. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    that was achieved on the autobahn between the nurburgring and the french border.....lots of road to build up speed.

paulchua likes this.
  17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Agree 100%. I have been driving a lot in the US too, and the driving culture is alarming. Huge semis that can’t go from the middle to the right lane because lots of regular cars speed past on inside because some moron is stuck in left lane not willing to go to center lane or right lane. That is extremely dangerous and if it happened in Europe they could loose their driver license. One reason is also that all trucks and semis have an electronic speed limiter of 90 kph. So usually they run like a convoi in the right lane, letting the center and/or left lane free.

paulchua and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yes, whenever I drive in Europe, you can't wipe the smile off my face. It's a euphoric experience just to be able to drive in the left lane unimpeded after a lifetime of driving with folks that don't know how the left lane works.

F456M likes this.
  19. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Agree 100%

paulchua likes this.
  20. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Legally. When you run out of 5th gear.... and changing gear at 270 kph. and you feel the immense drag from the wind, and you engage 6th and it pulls with the exact same power as last time in 5th... Then you know you live life that others might pay a lot to replicate. It is priceless. And not on a track, but during your journey from A to B. It’s quite nice to sit down with a cocktail in the hotel bar and reflect on the matter. And the progression from when being kid and playing with toy cars to playing with real twelve cylinder 1:1 size toys. :)

MRY, Laserguru and paulchua like this.
  21. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Got into with a crotch rocket and had to ditch him. I didn't realize how fast I went until looking at screen on my FF Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

22. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Absolutely wirth the time and money. I would considder to fly to Berlin which is in the upper east part of Germany and drive southbound and go to Austria or Switzerland for some relaxing in the beautiful alps. Then go back.

MRY likes this.
  23. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    Fly to Tegel, get a car from Sixt, and you can take the A9 all the way to Munich and choose from there where in Switzerland or Austria you want to go. A8 to Vienna or even Italy, A7 to Basel or some small roads just taking in scenery in the Alps

One of my favourite drives is Berlin/Potsdam to Hamburg/Seevetal, about 325 kms on the A10/A24/A1 and my best time was 1:28 door to door. It was late at night with a full tank and no stops for petrol

Now I’ve slowed down some, and mostly cruise about 200-220 km/h and get a little kick. I find I can take in the scenery and enjoy the drive rather than upping the concentration level and tiring from the 250+ levels.

Good luck with your trip I’ve had tons of fun and have lovely memories doing many of those trips

Kravin99 and F456M like this.
  24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    In Germany in the 80s 220-230 km/hr was a comfortable cruise speed (Z51 Corvette, 308 GTS) on the Autobahns. Faster than that, as mentioned, definitely required a higher level of concentration.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  25. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The new normal cars cruise so well at low rpms. with the long ratios. Even a Passat or BMW 320/520 can cruise at 200 easily now. I am still interested in changing the ratio of my 550 transaxle final drive. People say accelleration will suffer.... But when going from 270-330 you can have any other gear than 6th anyways, and it pulls pretty hard. So if the combined ratio would be the same (when in 5th), the accelleration would still be the same!