458 - Tire pressure confused about warning | FerrariChat

458 Tire pressure confused about warning

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by THE VATICANTS, May 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. THE VATICANTS

THE VATICANTS Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    Hey Gang,

need you feedback here. I thought the recommended pressure for P-Zeros is 30 front and 29 back. I'v had 33ish for a few months now and when I drive it goes up to 34, even 36 (as expected). When I read it should be 30 front and 29 back I lowered it but when I turned the car on today it gave me yellow warning. The warning stopped after a bit but now I'm confused where it REALLY should be. Any pros here that can tell me once and for all what PSI to put where haha? I posted a picture of my tire model too. THANK YOU!!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You wanna set the desired tire pressure when the car is cold (such as inside the garage). Avoid a situation where the car is in the sun or anything like that.

You'll also want to go through the menus on the left screen and reset the TPMS system. Then when you drive the car next, it will run the tire pressure recalibration and you should be all set.

Ray

LVP488 and THE VATICANTS like this.
  3. THE VATICANTS

THE VATICANTS Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    Awesome thanks for the feedback, I didn’t know you can reset the tire pressure that’s what I’m gonna do.

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You're welcome. The car is pretty complex. I had to read the owner's manual 3 times, cover to cover, to really absorb all there is to know about operating the 458.

Ray

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Like Ray said, set the pressure cold. This is best done in the early morning with the car outside. Also, set your pressure using a quality tyre pressure gauge. Don't just rely on the tpms. Then when the pressures are properly set, recalibrate.
    As far as tyre pressure goes Ferrari runs on the low side of things. This is all good for track or for areas where there's a big difference in morning to mid day temps. But in many cases with normal driving, fact is that Ferraris suggested pressure is too low.
    You were actually at a good spot with 33/34 psi for hot pressure. If you drop to 29/30 cold, you will struggle to get up in pressure during the drive.

I'd say you were at the optimum pressure already for your conditions - maybe 1 psi high, but no more than that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RayJohns likes this.
  6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    And you do know that tires get hot when you drive, especially if you corner hard, and as a result of the heat, pressures rise, right?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You only got the error because the car didn't know where the proper baseline was. As others said, adjust the pressures cold, then go through the menu to reset the TPMS, and it will be perfect.

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Il Co-Pilota likes this.