Ferrari 12 cylinder Question | FerrariChat

Ferrari 12 cylinder Question

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TigerAce, Mar 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    What is the major difference for mid-ship & front engined 12 cylinders?
    I assume mid-ship sounds better, but is it right? How noticeable for performance on the street driving? Are there quite difference in maintenance cost?

I cannot make up my mind to go w/ 512M/TR or 550M, as some of these car are priced in the same range.

Based on some threads, 550M may still decreasing its price. What is a reasonably assumed/guessed bottom price for 550M & 512M?

Yoshi

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I think the 512 is the way to go. The width of the rear gives it a very commanding presence, and in red can be a really in your face exotic, which I think captures the essence of the car!

The 550 is a great car, but to me its more of a gentleman's ferrari, sort of flying under the radar with style and grace.

3. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Well said, Lafun2
    "Gentlemen's Ferrari" I like that, however, since I am more like tiger, I do like the appearance of 512 better, love the front & back of M.

BTW thanks for your advise on "6 seaters", too!

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Drive both. They are nothing alike.

One is a very raw angry car.

The other a calm comfortable high speed rocket.

Take what you like.

Personally, I like the angry car..

512s and 512Ms are not changing much in price, with the first ranging from 90-115, the earlier being a moderate milage 92, the latter being a 94 ABS low milage; and 145-175k for the M, the later being a very low milage concours type.

5. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    I have driven the 512M, the 550 and 575. They are as different as chalk an cheese. The 512 is a looker but too stressful to drive for a long time. The 550 or better still the 575 is the way to go.

If you want a fun car go for the 360 Modena or better still the Stradale.

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Cant agree with that, I drove my 512TR from Miami to Connecticut with no problems then later I did the Forza Mille 1,000 mile rally with no problems. No cupholder but you can always add 1 :)

I havent driven the 550M & I'm sure its a great car but its too sedate for me & it looks too much like a Corvette for me to justify that kind of $ on it. Now the 512TR is pure Italian Sex Machine :)

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yoshi, don't listen to these drunken sailors, the 550 is the way to go. Yes, it is much more civilized than a cheese grater, but what's wrong with that?

But have no doubt, when you press that loud pedal, things happen fast in a big hurry. Can you say torque?

Drive both before you buy. I'm betting that you'll go for the gentleman's car over the pimpmobile. :)

Dr "Gentlemen never tell" Tax

8. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    The sound of the car has very little to do with where the engine is mounted, and mostly everything to do with the exhaust.

Yes, there is a difference in maintenance costs; the 512 motor has to come out of the car to change the belts, whereas the engine remains in the car on a 550.

My choice would be a 550, hands down. Ergonomically, there is no comparison. At 6'-2", I just plain do not fit in a 512, but am supremely comfortable in a 550.

9. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i'll second and third the "get some seat time" comments.

my mechanic has repeatedly told me that the 512TR is a lot more expensive to maintain over time than the 550, and i tend to believe him.

that said, my next f-car will likely be a 512TR to sit in the stable alongside the 550.

also, don't discount all the safety features the 550 has that the 512TR does not. when you're doing 120, you might decide that you care that there's an airbag ;).

let your hiney decide :)

doody.

10. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I agree with Dr Tax, let's move on and forget the 80's and Don Johnson.
    Never driven a TR but I have to admit that they sound great, better than a std 550.
    However, and to quote myself on a previous thread, comparing esthetically the two is like comparing a Nike training outfit (and a 10 years old one at that) and an Armani suit.
    If you see a Corvette in a 550, then a TR is the car for you ;-)

11. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Thank y'all for advise. Yes I really like to test drive, but no 512TR/M is available around here. I have 1 550 in my mind for test drive, but it is in a show room.

W/ that said, I agree w/ Auraraptor, William H, & Doody on 512TR/M. It is a looker & last mid-engine car for Ferrari somehow has strong appeal. And I do like the look of this car!

I also understand what Dr. Tax, Kizdan, Victory, & Ze_shark are saying. Being more modern car, comfort & safety level would be better. The look of this car says "gentlemen". Under the sedate look, the beast hide beneath. After all it is F 12 cylinder, so I expect nothing less.

Driving these 2 cars for comparison should take care of my doubt, I know. I wanted some advises to educate myself just like before my purchase of 328. I was interested in Mondial, 348, & 355 back then.

So there is no difference for street-driving between mid-engine & front engine for F 12 cylinders? Or at least is it not something I don't have to consider? I thought the soud of engine is based on the stroke of piston & how they are lined up like sound input device (CD, Record/Tape player), and exhaust is output system like speakers.

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yoshi, i've never driven a 512TR (or a 550 for that matter) but i've ridden in a 550 and i've driven a Testarossa... If you like the brutish, roaring, king of the jungle, beast experience, get the 512... If you like all of the above hidden under a gentlemanly facade, get the 550... If you like all of the above hidden under a gentlemanly facade but still want to at least HEAR the brutish, roaring, king of the jungle beast experience, get a 550 and put a Tubi solo on it...

If i had to choose between the two, i'd get a 512.

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hey Yoshi, come on down to Houston, and I'll let you drive mine. A short drive will convince you to give up the gold chains and chest hair....

DrTax

14. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

With your name, I thought a yellow or red 512 would best suit you ;)
    You certainly are welcome. :) Good luck.

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Have you MET Yoshi? :D

Sorry Yoshi, couldn't resist.

16. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Yoshi--- I myself faced this agonizing decision a couple of months ago which prompted me to start a thread on this very same topic (see below). There are some excellent advice and input from all F-chatters. In the end, I bought a 512TR and haven't regretted it..(still want the 550 and keep my 512tr)

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6703&highlight=512tr

17. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Thanks NNO for your advise.

Dr. Tax, gee, you are very generous. I truly appreciate it. I'll arrange test drive of 550 locally if possible, but I may ended up taking your offer.

Lafun2, the 512 I am looking at is yellow. (pls see new post on info on this car) I am looking into 98 550 in red also.

Jimpo1, that's perfectly fine! W/ my conservative look & attitude, there is different part of me, too. : )

TomF-1, thanks for leading me to your thread. It was very helpful.

Gathering AMA info never hurts. After all, I'm the one who'll be responsible for my decision. I really appreciate y'all for giving me advise & comment.

18. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    512 TR or M, let the blue-haired geezers apply their Dentu-Cream and feel for the wet spot in their Depends in their 550s as they drive down the road. LOL!!

BTW, Miami Vice was a GREAT show!!

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Not much to comment, I have driven a TR (Thanks GS) and 550 (Thanks DS).

TR was much easier to drive than I expected.

550 was much more exotic to drive than I expected

I guess that happens when you are expecting something to drive like it looks on the outside. Both of them kicked me in the jimmies how much power and torque they have compared to a wee 328. Loved them both!

20. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Tifosi69, ??? I think you are pulling for 512, right?

Rob, I think that's my problem. Before even test-drive, I like both of them!
    And you know I don't drive like you, like to the max, hahaha. Try to make it out tonight even for just drink??

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yoshi, to get serious about this :) a mid-engine car cannot be really compared to a front-engine car because at anything approaching their limits, they handle very differently.

As a rule, a mid-engine car is going to be very neutral. No understeer, no oversteer. Just point and go. However, when a mid-engine car finally spins -- it just snaps. There can be very little warning.

A front-engine car is anything but neutral. It understeers on turn in and oversteers on the track out. But, if you listen, the car talks to you all the time. I haven't driven the Maranello anywhere near it's limits (and I'm not going to either), but it is a no surprises car. When the back comes out, no problem.

So is the Maranello anywhere near as crisp as a 360? Not hardly.

Does a Maranello inspire a lot more confidence than a 360? You betcha.

You really need to drive one before you make up your mind. BTW, I'm serious. If you can free up the time to get down here, I'll let you take the Maranello for a drive. (It sure is nice to have a warranty.)

Dale

22. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Dr. Tax,
    Thanks for your insight! It was interesting reading your posts. You know your cars! I have an opportunity to test drive '98 550 locally now. I appreciate your offer & generosity!

Yoshi