Cali T CEL - still | FerrariChat

Cali T CEL - still

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by James cln, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Well after going to dealer- replacing alternator and battery , still have CEL Alternator- gone to 2 other shops - no one seems to have an answer! Now at idle Cali is showing 14.7 V, on hi way 13- 13.5 . Still have CEL . Another shop is telling me that’s too high and Ignition ECU is bad telling alternator to put out more voltage than it should. My big question is : Is the voltage what it should be and could the instrument panel have a problem that is turning light on falsely ?? Can anyone help ?? Thanks in advance

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Sounds frustrating. I hope the dealer did not charge you for replacing the alternator and battery if that did not fix the problem. Hill Country Ferrari near Austin is one of the better regarded independents, Brian Crall posts here frequently, it might be worth a visit to him if you are not getting anywhere with the dealer.

http://www.hillcountryferrari.com/

I had a problem with my 2015 that was causing "starter failure" messages and fluctuating voltage during driving and that turned out to be the battery control module ECU -- it sits right on top of the positive terminal of the battery and has some fuses etc. I seriously doubt this is your issue as it just seems to be more of a power distribution block with some fuses but might be worth swapping it out with one from another car as it's very simple to replace. Part 3 in the diagram.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

[​IMG]

3. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline

4. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Thanks Vic , yep I took all fuse connectors off of control module and cleaned each connector real good. As you said sadly , not the problem. I thought it would be worth a try . Ha! Nope , alternator change cost me 1800 bucks. Wasn’t really dealer’s fault bc I was the one who told them to change it bc someone told me that was the problem- should have made sure - live and learn! Very frustrating- don’t know what to do now . If someone who has a Cali t would turn read out on left screen on dash to voltage and tell me what you are seeing in volts idling and also driving on hiway about 60 mph - it would really help me. Vic thanks so much for your input - called Brian - he said he doesn’t have program for 2015 T .

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I've never paid much attention to the alternator gauge, but with the car warmed up, idling it's reading about 13.9 ... on the highway turning 3000 rpm at 60-something mph ... also 13.9. Getting on it a little and then letting the car coast in gear with the revs winding down from 4500 or so, it will start to rise up somewhere around 14.5 to just under 15 max. That was AC on, which made no discernible difference, at least at idle.

6. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Thanks Vic :)

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Does sound like yours is a little bit on the high side at idle, at least compared to mine. I let it idle for a few minutes when I got back home and it was just rock solid at 13.9.

8. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Yep thanks , I am wondering if I could have a naughty battery sensor - tells alternator how much voltage to put out - ?? Crazy !