Front number plates + UK fines | FerrariChat

Front number plates + UK fines

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by KarlA69, May 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi

Quite a specific topic but would love to hear others' thoughts.... I have an 812 with a sticker for a front number plate. It fits nicely in that spot where the lower part of the front bumper is wider. It is smaller than a proper number plate (and hence not legal), although perfectly legible. I've driven around with it for six months with no issues, but yesterday got a £100 fine for it after being pulled over by the cops. I had a few questions:

- The cop mentioned that I was now on the DVLA database and the automatic number plate recognising cameras (ANPR) would check my car in the future and I would be fined again automatically if I didn't fix it. I'm not sure if the cop was bluffing. Does anyone know if that is true?
    - Does anyone know what the fine is for a second time offence in the UK? If it's £100 again then OK. If significantly more, then I might change my ways...
    - Does anyone know of any other solutions for the front number plate? I do have the Carbonio one (removable) which is OK but it sits a little crooked and still doesn't look great. I obviously could just get a normal, fixed one mounted but to me it really ruins the look of the 812.

By the way, I live in London and mostly drive in and around there. You see plenty of high end cars with no front number plate or a small one around here, so I'm annoyed I got dinged but oh well. I did manage to talk myself out of speeding fine during the same incident so not all bad ;-)

Thanks & be safe

Karl

2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I wish I could give you some advice in what to do but unfortunately I'm not familiar with the UK legislation concerning car number plates. However, it seems that every country has its own idiosyncrasies in what relates to number plates and mine, Portugal, is no exception. On my F12 I have a front number plate that is smaller in size (picture below) when compared with the standard and everyone asks me if it is legal. In fact is legal because the local Ferrari dealer made a special homologation of this smaller number plate near the national traffic authority and it can only be used in specific Ferrari models. I carry a document with the official number plate homologation that I can show to the police if they stop me. Because the F12 and the 812 fronts look horrible with a standard number plate on them if you happen not to find a legal solution for this problem I reckon you'll have to constitute a fund to cover the future fines but keep the existing plate..

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    £400 i believe.

With the Alfa Number plate to one side rather than centre it is still vertical. With the E-type it was on the front of the bonnet at around 45 degrees from vertical but neither of these drew attention from the police. It might be worth considering having a piece of black plastic heat formed into a horizontal V and fix the number to that so it is at least above the 45 degree point.

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #4 Wheels1, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login You could buy the clamp on bracket that Ferrari in Vancouver sell.
    The number plate sits upright and you can fit a small 5 digit size number plate on it, or larger.
    It fits on the front spoiler, it’s not quick to remove as you have to remove the number plate first to get at the screws, if you want to remove it regularly then bolt the number plate to it rather than sticking it to it, there are threads on here with details.
    Here is a photo with standard size plate, you can see it sits low so looks better than the Ferrari bolt on one.

5. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Thanks - that does look better than standard. Do you know if Ferrari Vancouver will sell to people overseas (UK) and mail it? Or is it really only for their customer?

Heard some US states don't require front plates at all.... lucky! Virtually all cameras etc focus on the rear plates anyway, so that seems sensible. BTW there was a petition to the UK government a while back to drop front plates here... it didn't get very far!

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thinking about, if the anpr can pick you up and send you a bill, I would have thought not, if the cops did you because the anpr could not read it, I am not sure how it could read it now, but its not worth the risk that why I bought the clamp.

8. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Just in case anyone else is looking into this: Milt @ Ferrari Vancouver is very helpful (email above). The plate holders are CAD$ 295 plus $75 shipping to the UK. I'm ordering some now, in conjunction with a shorter (but still legal) number plate.... hopefully that will improve the look of the car and put an end to me getting nervous every time I pass a cop car coming the other way....! Thanks for your help Grant

9. houlbt

houlbt Rookie

May 7, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom H
    You were just unlucky - I’d just carry on regardless.

Outrun likes this.