Retrofit Becker radio with new components? | FerrariChat

Retrofit Becker radio with new components?

Discussion in '360/430' started by FerRrari, May 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Inspired by Porsche’s modern radios for classic cars, how crazy would it be to take a Becker unit and replace the intervals with new components that support things like Bluetooth streaming or even CarPlay? I’d like to keep the OEM aesthetic but get newer tech, of course you could go with a Bluetooth adaptor but I’m not sure that solution would be sufficient.
    Thoughts?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Sounds like a good idea especially if the original one is broken ... Don't know what the purist would have to say

Could even be a side business to take in broken units and do the conversion for a fee ...

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
  4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Its crazy...because as a "one off" it will be super expensive, and even if Becker were to offer it, would be very expensive. Depending on which Becker radio you have, there are factory options for either bluetooth, USB or Iphone lightning connections (the latter two options will also charge your phone). All would be an easier and more practical way to "pass thru" the stock radio. Once you have a way to stream the audio, you are set, as the phone display and controls does everything else.

5. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    Yatour is a Chinese company that makes a bluetooth streaming and hands free adapter for all Becker radios that have a CD changer interface. I have one and am happy with it.

For navigation, I use my phone on a phone mount.

For a rearview camera display, I use the Master Tailgaters Sleek Rear View Mirror with Ultra Bright 4.3" Auto Adjusting Brightness LCD - Universal Fit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KDT4UHG/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_xmzYEbXT3CCY5

I had the Ferrari dealer mount it as it uses a different mount than what Ferrari has.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Tried it on my Becker Cascade 6112, couldn't get it to work. (It wasn't listed as compatible, but had all the correct plugs for the 6112). Bought it on Amazon, so no problem with returning it for refund.
    I'm using an Iphone lightning cable adapter, it charges and streams through the radio. Unlike some cable adapters, this does not interfere with the factory bluetooth phone in the Becker. (some adapter cords will interfere with the bluetooth phone, such that when you pick up the call, you can hear the caller, but they cannot hear you.
    https://www.discountcarstereo.com/il-bkr.html
    So at time of purchase, you must purchase this too, and they will (at no extra charge) wire it into the Iphone cable adapter https://www.discountcarstereo.com/iso8-har.html?category_id=308
    So you retain factory bluetooth phone capability.

7. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I will say it again, you can send your radio to Becker in NJ (I have no affiliation with them) and they remove the guts from the old radio and put in all new components with Bluetooth, return it to you and it still looks 100% stock for $500. Just an option for you all.

f355spider and FerRrari like this.
  8. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Or you can buy something like this for under £10 that connects into your Becker cd changer port and turns the stereo into a Bluetooth speaker? I have one and it’s great. Ok, you can’t see the track info on the Becker display, but for the money you can’t do better.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113923810571

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thank you, I’m going to give them a call.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I called Becker and they don’t have a bespoke type program to upgrade the electronics to improve sound or features while keeping the original face.

They will install a Bluetooth module internally for $125, however.

f355spider likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    stock doesnt look great to be begin with...just get a new radio

12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    May not look great, but it looks right for the age of the car. These cars have such a simple (timeless?) dash architecture that putting in something modern just jars for me.

shifter and EastMemphis like this.
  13. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah, I disagree. It’s fits well with the style of interior.

14. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    LaJolla Audio has done this for all of my old cars which have period correct Becker radios. They put modern "innards" which allow bluetooth, I-pod connection etc. nothing changes visually. I imagine there are other places that do this too. I agree it is nice to have the radio look age appropriate.
    Malcolm