Kinda 'HOT,' OEM Fuel Pump Question. | FerrariChat

Kinda 'HOT,' OEM Fuel Pump Question.

Discussion in '308/328' started by mwr4440, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Gents,

On the 3x8 Series, 308QV in particular, in the OEM Configuration, did Ferrari ever use a STEEL BRAIDED Flexible Hose to connect the Fuel Pump to the Accumulator or a Steel Braided Hose in ANY Part of the Fuel System?

Are the ones I see, all later OEM CHANGES by Ferrari (A 'Recall') and/or AFTERMARKET CHANGES made by someone at a later date after the car left the factory?

Thanx in Advance.

2. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    I think all the steel braided hose configurations that connect the fuel pump to the accumulator are aftermarket changes. I just did mine because the accumulator started peeing out of the tell tale and the hard pipe collapsed when I tried to remove it. That pipe is NLA so I got a replacement with braided hose and the fittings from Verell Boaen at Unobtanium Supply in Groton.

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    On my car, I did replace the hose that goes from the tank to the filter with the SS braided since it is too expose to the open road but now that you mentioned the pump to accumulator hose I think I will do the same thing to that as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    There are 2 braided steel hoses on a Euro 1984 QV, for the feed and return lines to the fuel distributor:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My 84 US QV has the same thing.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I believe all 308QV used a hard steel tube from the fuel pump to the accumulator as made at the factory (but there were two different stock parts depending on which Bosch CIS fuel pump was used). The reason why you see a lot of aftermarket changes in that tube is that early 308QV came with the Bosch CIS fuel pump with the built-in, non-replaceable check valve which became unavailable for a few years (and only recently became available again). Consequently, when such a car needed a fuel pump replacement during that period, only the Bosch CIS fuel pump with the replaceable check valve could be purchased = very likely some aftermarket tubing/hose would be adapted/used.

waymar likes this.
  7. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Any chance these will fit an 82 308GTSi

8. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #8 GordonC, Dec 17, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    While the Bosch K-Jetronic is essentially the same, the Euro vs US is a bigger difference, with the extra venting and vapour recovery systems on the US cars. But let's check it out:

From the TAVs on www.ferrariparts.co.uk (010- Fuel Injection System for the 308 QV Euro), the fuel return line is number 58, part number 118393 (on exhaustion use 117787) The vehicle fitment shows that line also being used by Mondial QV and Mondial 3.2, but not 328 or earlier 308 GTBi/GTSi. (This is the line with the banjo fitting on the distributor end)

The on-exhaustion number, 117787, shows it is used on 208 turbo, 308 QV USA, and 328s.

The other braided line is number 46 on that TAV, the feed line, part number 117885. It shows to fit 208, 308 GTBi/GTSi, QV, QV USA, 328s, and Mondial 8 USA.

For the GTBi/GTSi, the TAV 010 - FI system shows part 58 is the fuel pipe 115207 return line - that number is shown to fit GTBi/GTSi and Mondial 8 USA only, so there's a good chance that it is different than the one I showed in the picture of my QV. It might only be a minor variation in length, but significant enough that it's a different part number.

So, bottom line - the feed line 117885 (threaded fitting on both ends) is common to all the K-Jetronic injected models, 3.0 2V and 4V and 3.2s. The return lines are different.

Hope that helps!
    Gordon

waymar likes this.
  9. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Gordon. Thank you for the detailed feedback. Great help.

GordonC likes this.
  10. Ehamilton

Ehamilton Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2010
    Durham, NC; USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Hamilton
    What is the source?

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa