330 GT Electric window switches | FerrariChat

330 GT Electric window switches

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by au400i, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. au400i

au400i Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Thomas Clement
    I hope everyone is safe and sane out there in these troubling times... (And enjoying their cars)

Can I please have some help with my 330 GT (Series 2) window switches. I know there are some variations on how and where these are mounted. Mine are on a RHD car and are mounted in the console each side of the gear stick.

As you can see from the attached photos I have been able to restore one of mine but the other is beyond saving. Looks as though someone has tried to solder onto the terminals and melted the plastic. They have then glued it all back together and this has caused misalignment and now failure. I'm not even able to disassemble it without further damage as the plastic has been glued into the metal casting. To save this switch I would need the 2 side and rear plastic mouldings along with 4 metal clips (I only have 4 good ones which I'm using on my good switch).

Short of trying to do some 3D printing I think the only sensible course of action is to find a replacement switch. Anyone have one in their parts bin or know of a supplier?

Thanks in advance
    Thomas
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. au400i

au400i Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Thomas Clement
    I have seen that eurospares has an option that looks like the attached photos. However Looking at the construction I assume this is a modern replacement. I would attempt to find an original that matches mine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    i cannot be certain as i have nt done alot of research on the window switches, there may be various types used over the 330 GT production. Here is a picture of my orig interior on a survivor 32K kilometer 330 GT, euro car from switzerland.

car is 8289. My switches were all metal, chrome toggle lever with the chrome housing. Are you sure yours are original to your car?

4. au400i

au400i Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Thomas Clement
    Thanks enio45. I agree there seems to be a lot of different switches used. My dash has the toggle switches for fans, interior lights, rear window, fuel pump and driving lights on the console rather than rocker switches on the lower edge of the dash. I'm 100% sure these are original and I have recently found another car the same so I agree there was a lot of variation with the detail.

I'm not 100% sure if my window switches are original however when I look at photos of other cars they do appear to be the most common used so I have to assume that they were factory. I like your all chrome ones they look fantastic. Also love that picture of the red interior.

5. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    what is your car VIN number?

6. au400i

au400i Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Thomas Clement

Attached is an image of the rocker to toggle switch variation the same as mine. It also has the same window switches as mine. (Pity someone has ruined this dash with a modern stereo)

Maybe this variation was a RHD feature?

7. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    These are identical to those in my LHD 8755. The current for the window motors is too much for these switches over time. The contacts arc and then get even hotter carrying the current. I ended up putting in relays after needing to clean mine several times over the years. I think that a 3D printer would be the easiest way to create a new inside for your switch. However, it needs to be a high temp plastic or you need to add relays so the contacts don't get hot anymore.

The original melting was probably a poor connection from the lug to the contact where they are riveted together. That and the bullet connector at the wire end not fitting tight into the lug is another place for poor contact.

See http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/330gt/WindowSwitches.htm for adding relays.

Regards, Kerry

PS, that face on the console can be replaced and recovered in new leather if one wants to remove the modern stereo or replace it with a period radio.
    See http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/330gt/Radio.htm

readplays likes this.