488 - Question about mich 4s on 488 | FerrariChat

488 Question about mich 4s on 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jyupitt, May 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    Hi guys,

Dealer installed Michelin 4s tires for my 488. I went with oem size 245 in front 305 in the. I wanted to go one size up 255 /315 but tire rack didn’t recommend it. The front looks stretched. Is this normal/safe?
    Thanks in advance
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Looks fine. A shame Trie Rack advised against the 255/315 combo. It would have been a great option for more grip and more rubber on the road. Not sure what their reasoning was, because nothing logical dictates it - and I know of two cars that run that size with great result. I suspect that it's yet another case where the Rack advised on something they have zero first hand experience with. They follow a generic idea of "don't go with anything else than OE", and I'm thinking it's basically to keep their backs clear at all times. Do the 255/315 size next time, it looks great and works well.

Gh21631 likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Quick question. Did they opt for the non-OE setup? There's no 488 specific 245/305 set of MPS4S. The ones to use are those and it is generally not advised to mix OE tyres as you don't know what was changed.

4. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    255 and 315 were cheaper.

They advised against it because they have never tested this size on the 488 therefore they can’t guarantee fitment. My car is lowered so I guess the It’s safer to go with oem size to avoid potential rubbing?

I just don’t like the stretched look so much.

5. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    I picked the 4s as I heard great things about them.

What did you mean by the last statement? That I should not go up a size?

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No. What I mean is this.

The MPS4S 245/35R20 comes in the following versions.

245/35R20 (95Y)XL Non OEM specific version
    245/35R20 (95Y)XL K1 This is the Lusso specific front
    245/35R20 (95Y)XL K2 This is the Porto specific front
    245/35R20 (95Y)XL N0 Porsche specific
    245/35R20 (95Y)XL M0 Mercedes specific

The 305 comes in the following versions

305/30R20 (103Y)XL Again the non-OE version
    305/30R20 (103Y)XL A0 Audi specific version
    305/30R20 (103Y)XL FP Ford GT specific version
    305/30R20 (103Y)XL N0 Porsche specific version

The set you want for the 488 is the first options and it is not advised to combine different OE sets or non OE with OE. Mercedes for example often build in camber etc with a difference in inner and outer sidewall stiffness. Treads or compounds might be different, and sometimes weight ratings has been changed. The latter is not the case here though. So while there is a Ferrari specific front, there isn't a rear, and those two are not only Ferrari specific, but also model specific. So either go with the full non model specific set or go with the Porsche set, don't mix and match.

LVP488 likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    They might not have tried it, but so many run 255/30R21 on lowered cars just as an example. Like I said, they are just trying to keep their backs clear.

That size fit well on both wheels and in the arches. Fact is that it is not a huge difference in size. If you look at it from a radius and tyre shoulder standpoint, all you need is an additional 3mm on each side and in the radius. When making such a change, the two most important things to look at is change in diameter and section width. These two would only increase by 0.2" total. As for the rears, that car can run 355 section tyres on 13" wide wheels.

8. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Porsche spec 245/305 are wider.... no stretch look... Especially the Cup2.

I agree with you i do not like the stretch look. my 488 has PZero and they do not look stretched like the Michelin ps4. Pirelli is Not my fav tire but for the street so far they are good. The PZero has greatly improved over the past PZero i had in 2013

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If the fronts are the K2's, that might be why they look stretched. The Porto tyre runs somewhat narrow for a 245.

10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Porsche n spec 305 is wider than 315 in 20” FYI

11. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    Yes that’s what I did.

12. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    Update: these tires made a significant improvement. I’ve also raise the rear suspension a notch ( novitec springs)

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    So, Co-Pilota, are you saying that we shouldn't run a MPS4S on a Ferrari if it has been built to the spec of another manufacturer, eg N for Porsche? Or that we shouldn't have N and non-N (for example) on different axles? I didn't realise there was such a difference between same brand, model, size tyres built for different manufacturers, this is not made clear by tyre companies. I assumed for example that a 305 tyre was the same size whatever the manufacturer or model.

Should we avoid running N spec tyres on Ferraris full stop?

Another note, does Pirelli indicate new models/improvements in its P Zeros? If they made much better P Zeros tomorrow, how would we tell? Michelin actually updates its model designations so it's obvious to the average consumer like me.

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No not at all - far from it. I think the MPS4S is the best street tyre for our cars

I'm saying that it is important to consider how we mix and match, and pay attention to which specific model we run. If you for example purchase the K2 version, you lose about 6-7mm of tread width over a K1. This will not be dangerous, the car will simply understeer more.and who wants that. The MPS4S K1 set has been developed with each other in mind and for a specific car. Same goes with the K2 set for the Porto. The idea behind running a matched set is simply that they are more likely to compliment each other.

Now with some manufactures we start to get into changes that might pose a problem. I have zero issue with running a full Porsche set, I think it is probably a really good match in fact. Porsche OE tyres tend to be modified in width and tread patch or compound, but not internally. So like was mentioned above, the N0 spec will just be wider and possibly a bit more aggressive in the tread. The only issue here if say the Porsche front is matched with a "generic" rear, is a car more prone to oversteer or darty turn-in and that might bite someone not expecting it.

Now with some OE tyres I will steer clear. Mercedes spec tyres I don't like the idea of using. They have often had tyres made with very specific and different inner and outer tyre wall stiffness. Add to that some of the Merc tyres run different compounds on the in and outside compared to what the tyre normally comes with. This can lead to some funny things if the chassis is not dialed in for that. Some BMW tyres also used this, but it has become less common. A BMW tyre will never be my first choice, but I'm game if it's the only option. VAG specific tyres used to run harder and slightly less grippy compounds as they are used on large j
    Heavy cars. Of course there are RS5 and R8 tyres which are probably quite suitable, but many tyres have also been developed for a Hector such as the s7 and s8 etc. And even when it comes to the Quattro cars, they are just very different animals compared to a 488.

Generally speaking, if you choose a tyre which is made for a similar type of car, chances are that it will work. But if you choose a car which is made for say a Bentmey CGT, chances are that something will be compromised.

At the end of the day it's a bit of trial and error. But in many cases it's perfectly safe to run a different OEM set. I just don't like the idea of mixing them, and I think some like the Merc set should be avoided all together. When mixing OE tyres, it is comparable to mixing models of tyres. Can it be done and can it be safe? Yes. But proceed with caution while you are feeling the tyres out. On the flip side it might turn out that certain combos are brilliant. Considering the fact that it would be nice to kill some factory understeer in a 488, the N0 front with non-OE rear may in fact be a nice combo for the more seasoned and trained drivers who can benefit from the added front end bite.

It's a jungle, but there are some basic things which can make the journey safter. Playing with tyres is fun, just be smart and cautious about it:)

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Themaven likes this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Regarding the PZero. That is a bit tricky. Pirelli does not put any actual number in the name. That being said, many retailers sell the latest version of the PZero and PZero Corsa as PZ4 and PZC4. Currently the fourth gen version is the nèwest Pirelli. If in doubt as Pirelli if your retailer is unclear. Pirelli can give you part numbers for the PZ4 version of what ever you're looking for and you can cross reference that with your retailer. Would be easier if the tyre said PZ4 on the side...

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Ok thank you. Most illuminating, as ever.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.