F430 dashcam using cigarette lighter | FerrariChat

F430 dashcam using cigarette lighter

Discussion in '360/430' started by StevieBob, May 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StevieBob

StevieBob Rookie

Aug 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Stevie Bob
    I have recently bought my first Ferrari (and loving it) and want to occasionally run a satnav through the 12v accessory socket. Can I then use the cigarette lighter to run a small dashcam at the same time? I’d only want it to operate when the engine is running and would pull the plug when parked. The manual states you shouldn’t use the cigarette socket for accessories but I’m not sure why. Is it because it would drain the battery if I left the dashcam plugged in? I don’t want either item to be hard-wired in.

2. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    I tried using the accessory socket for a dashcam but after a short time the fuse blew. I used the cigarette lighter socket and no problems because obviously that has a heavier fuse. I wouldn't leave anything plugged into any socket, ignition off or not.

3. StevieBob

StevieBob Rookie

Aug 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Stevie Bob
    Thanks for the prompt reply Bill. Sounds like I should be OK to try it then...

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You should be able to use it as the dashcams normally have an inline fuse anyway.

5. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    Keep in mind that if you want the cam and audio with the engine off you will need to turn the key to fire up the sockets. For instance you get pulled over by a known bully cop and want cam or audio.

6. StevieBob

StevieBob Rookie

Aug 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Stevie Bob
    Thanks for the additional tips guys

7. CalonLan

CalonLan Rookie

Jul 24, 2018
    UK
    Stevie Bob - I've had an Azdome dash cam in my 360 for 18 months now, and it's always been plugged into the cigarette lighter socket when in use, and unplugged when not. Forgotten to unplug it loads of times and never had a flat battery. Don't know about the SatNav at the same time though. Sam

8. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I hard wired the dash cam in our 360 using the dome light power, but use the lighter for the Garmin. Never a problem.

9. StevieBob

StevieBob Rookie

Aug 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Stevie Bob
    Thanks CalanLan and Shad69 for the additional reassurance. I wonder why Ferrari were so explicit about not doing it when it seems that it is not a major concern (as long as I disconnect when the car is parked)...