575 Technical Thread | Page 52 | FerrariChat

575 Technical Thread

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tazandjan, Jun 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Terry, can you message me your email? I have a question for you.

Thanks!

-Joe

2. cuse92

cuse92 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Terry, thank you for putting all of this together, first of all. I've spent countless hours on this site (and this thread in particular).

At the end of last year I bought a UK 575M F1, it is on your list as VIN 139321 - C, build 56713. Two quick questions - 1. It was listed for sale as an FHP car (I checked through the paperwork and until I saw your list I was sure I saw the FHP option listed somewhere), but it isn't showing that on your list - is that something you can check? I'm currently caught in South Africa in the lockdown and can't get home, so can't check the paperwork right now, and your list has me a bit worried! The other question is whether you can tell what model year the car is (2004 or 2005). I've never heard of model year designations in UK, but know in the US the model year starts well in advance of the calendar year. The car was first registered in late 2004, so I'm wondering if it might be a MY2005 car. Thanks! Ben

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ben- There are no model years in the UK and the year on the paperwork is usually the first registration date. 139324, another 575M likely on the assembly line at the same time as your 139321, AN 56713, was first registered in the UK November 2004. Your 575M is a late one, likely built around August/September 2004. Closest I have is 575M 138765, AN 56095 that was built in July 2004 and a US spec CS 139424 built in September 2004, so Aug/Sep is a pretty good WAG. Matthias Urban's serial number book does not show 138321 has FHP, either.

Easy to check, but you need access to her to do it. Three ways to check, the diameter of the rear anti-roll/sway bar would be ~21.5 mm including paint for FHP, there are paper tags on the springs showing the part numbers, and you can pull the hydraulic steering ECU to see if it an FHP unit.

FHP is a big selling point in the UK, but is really not that big a deal on late 575Ms like yours that have the steering position sensor and updated shock absorber ECU. Yours also got the major update at AN 55769 with new shocks, supports, shock ECU, Motronic ECUs, etc. The rear shocks are the same as the ones on the HGTC 575Ms. So no FHP is no really an issue for you. See attached list for specifics.

Attached Files:

cuse92 and mathewr like this.
  4. cuse92

cuse92 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks Terry, that is perfect. There were references to model-year updates throughout this thread that had me wondering where my car fell (FYI first registration on mine was also in November 2004). Really appreciate the thorough response on Memorial Day! Mine has the thicker rear anti-roll bar (I will re-measure when I can get back to UK though!), although perhaps it was a later add-on. I'll certainly check all three things you mentioned. Thanks again.

F456M likes this.
  5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ben- Given my choice, I would rather have all the late updates on yours than the FHP on mine, which just missed the AN 52556 updates (AN 52428). If she does not have FHP, though, I would add the FHP steering ECU.

6. cuse92

cuse92 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks Terry. Just FYI, I've located and attached the options list that we got from the dealer that originally sold the car, and it looks like it has FHP after all. Up to you whether you want to update your list; I'm planning on keeping it for a long time! Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ben- Will add it in. Have not updated that list for a long time. Used it mostly to go with the change document above.

8. carioca66

carioca66 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Terry- how can I send you a PM?

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- I do not take PMs because I get too many questions I am not qualified to answer.

Qavion likes this.
  10. carioca66

carioca66 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Terry- I understand.

I will give it a shot here then. I am considering buying a 575 and would like take on the following:

SUSPENSION:

It appears the common concerns are around the “floatiness” of suspension.

It is my understanding that late production cars have some of the latest upgrades.

So is it safe to assume that a car with a production number higher than 59000 has the latest upgrades?

Shocks- Did I understand correctly these should be same as HGTC shocks?

Steering ECU- should be latest and greatest?

Shock ECU- should be latest and greatest?

Anti roll bars- would these be OK as Is?

Springs- would these be OK as is?

EXHAUST

As a 612 HGTC 6 speed past owner, I have to say the exhaust note on that car was something very special and that I miss dearly. I think you may have a HGTC exhaust on your 575? Not sure.. but if you do have it, does it have that magical note? I know this is subjective but I trust your opinion.

Are there any other BIG items that I should be concerned about in my search?

Thanks in advance for all your help in making us better Ferrari people.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- The late model 575Ms have numerous updates summarized in the attached document. An assembly number of around 59000 has all of them. The late 575Ms have new shock mounts and half a set of HGTC shocks, but the other half are updated, too, to match the new mounts. Pretty much none of the late 575Ms with the steering position sensor are floaty at all. The steering position sensor improves steering feel, but adding the FHP steering ECU will decrease hydraulic assist and improve feel if you want to try it. FHP was optional throughout production. The late 575Ms have the same springs and rear anti-roll bar as earlier 575Ms, it is just that the steering position sensor adds lead into turn stiffness through the shock ECU, which makes it feel and handle better. I will attach my shock ECU document, too. The HGTC shock ECU is compatible with late 575Ms.

Late models have straight center pipes and the HGTC exhaust sounds very good to me compared to the stock exhaust. Mine is from a Superamerica and slightly different from the 575M mufflers. My set of Fabio's 6-1 headers and cats are on the way to my techs in NM to be fitted as we speak. That should really wake up the exhaust.

No big concerns on late 575Ms. Even the stock exhaust sounds good once the valves open, or you can get one of Steve Bisel's kits to open them at will remotely or with a hard switch. Make sure she has two original keys and a set of three fobs. Now easy to fix if anything is missing, so not as big a deal as it was in the past.

Attached Files:

F456M likes this.
  12. carioca66

carioca66 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Terry- Thank you very much for your responses. I will let you know how this all ends up.

13. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Seems to have been awhile since this issue has been addressed. The hand brake on my 2002 won't release; the problem seems to be with the ratchet mechanism being stuck. Any suggestions for getting it to release?

Steve

14. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    2002 575M gated

15. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
  16. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Thanks for the link. It is not obvious how to access the hand brake ratchet, this will help. Fortunately, with some WD 40, time and manipulation of the handle, the brake finally released. I am not going to try the brake again until I have gotten back from the Crescent Classic Rally next week. With my luck, it I try the brake to see if it is really "fixed", it will be stuck forever. :)

17. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @tazandjan can't be said often enough, so grateful for all this amazing knowledge you share. This F-chat rabbit hole of amazingness is so neat.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- The rest of you just learned along with me during my 12+ years of owning 135171.

19. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It’s really fun reading and taking notes, it’s like a readers digest of sorts. Everything I’m learning is helping “scratch the itch” a bit.

When I was on my “vintage mission” and built my 1969 Meyers Manx, Baja 1,000 NORRA racer, the aircooled VW help I got from the Manx club forum and TheSamba.com was immeasurable.

As a small example: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/manxclub/tagged-yuma-yellow-manx-t1122.html?sid=16d4e486dec64bf2314301e1bd51d014

Just in the last month I’ve been able to talk on the phone with a few people from here and I’m so very much enjoying the camaraderie, combined with the expansion of my knowledge base along with “the hunt”.

Similar to the Meyers Manx, that community and the 456/550/575 are tight knit and so willing to share “the passion”.

This forum is a treasure!

20. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Taz and others, I just noticed this one is up for sale on ebay. No belts since 2014?! and looks like the mileage went up from 36k to 45k.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Ferrari-575-Carbon-Fiber-/233790280075?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

I'll post this to the covid period tracking thread I created as well......

21. JayCee500

JayCee500 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jonty
    Hi,
    Are you still adding to your database?
    I’ve recently purchased a 2003 575 having sold mine in 2011!
    I’ve followed your thread and thought the assembly no. ( 48038 ) seems low?
    registered 2003, fsh Cornes Japan, imported Uk 2015 - fmdsh.
    Thanks for any thoughts.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Have not kept it up lately because it had enough info to let me do the production change list I wanted to do.

48038 is likely November 2002 production, and likely would not have been registered until CY 03. In the US Nov 02 is a model year 2003, but UK and European cars do not have model years, normally just registration years.

23. dinos575m

dinos575m Rookie

Oct 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dean Pellegrino
    my immobiliser on my 02 575 works sometimes and other times I'm stuck !
    Is there a good by pass system or a shop that repairs them ? if I send in the immobiliser module should I send the interface as well ?
    Much thanks
    Dino

24. dinos575m

dinos575m Rookie

Oct 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dean Pellegrino

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    With all 3 fobs?

If it's a fob issue and you're in the USA, start a forum conversation with FChatter "Gobble". Everyone recommends him.

climbernyc likes this.