360 - Gauges dead, car won’t shift past 2nd | FerrariChat

360 Gauges dead, car won’t shift past 2nd

Discussion in '360/430' started by MikeR397, May 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Started the 360 at the supermarket and all the gauges are black, needles don’t move. Tried restarting, same thing so tried to drive it home the 5 min. It wouldn’t shift into third, so pulled over for restart, waited 2 min, same symptoms. Was able to baby it home in 2nd, but no gauges and can’t shift to third. Any thoughts?

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i dont' know how to solve your problem

But I can tell you one observation

one day I was changing my instrument's color.. so I took the instrument cluster out.
    suddently , I need to move the car for some reason unrelated to our conversation.
    It will not pass 2nd gear without the cluster connected.

3. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Interesting, that’s helpful. I have not touched the dash or done anything to the car, but will check the guage connection. I do suspect the 2nd gear limit is somehow related as both issues happened randomly and simultaneously, but if the guage cluster is plugged in still as I suspect it is, not sure where to go after that.

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

there's a fuse for the cluster, at the front boot, there are 3 boxes. the middle one is where you can find it. if everything's fine, then you can get the cluster out, check connection.

5. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Appreciate the fuse info, but that’s probably moot now. I started the car after a couple hours sitting and gauges all work now (did not drive but presume it’ll get the rest of gears too). If it was a fuse it wouldn’t “self fix” like this I suspect.

Guess I’ll see if this reoccurs (and I presume it will). I’ve been driving the car pretty regularly recently, and one difference is I’ve stopped using the trickle charger and it’s a few year old battery now and I know low batteries can cause weird electrical stuff on these cars. That said, today it was fine for 2 stops over 20 miles and only had these issues at the final stop which makes me think it’s not battery related or it would have happened when first starting the car.

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

could be a bad connection at the rear of the cluster. removing it takes less than 30 min, so why don't u have a try

7. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Should be some stored error codes; might give a clue as to what went down. Hate to say it, but you just know its going to happen again at the least useful time!

one4torque likes this.
  8. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I used my basic scanner and got 3 codes (no CEL on dash though):

P1674 - Tachometer Control Circuit
    P1675 - Evap vent solenoid contorl circuit
    P0432 - Main Catylst below efficiency

my car has a tube and test pipes (no cats) and for 10 years now have had the on/off exhaust/cat related hidden codes (have o2 elbow extenders). I’m not sure the description from my generic code reader are correct, these are all probably exhaust related, but it’s interesting one is labeled as a tach issue here. Thoughts are welcome here?!

I attached a trickle charger and the battery seemed to have been about half based on its readout, completed full charge in 5 hours. It’s currently running fine but ya I’m not looking forward to getting stuck somewhere with only 2 gears and a highway trip to get home...

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Tach control circuit might point to a cluster connection.

I would do new batt,
    Then extra points for cluster connection check.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Off topic-Did your airbag light after that also? I took mine out to replace a stepper motor, turned the car on and my air bag light lit up after that.

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

nope. airbag light is fine.
    its easy to get rid of the light, take a 431 or something similar that can get into the modules

12. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    change the battery, its cheap and solves a lot of issue, the 360 is very sensitive to voltage, if one cell is down or dead, you will have all kinds of issue.,

Apollo 11 likes this.
  13. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Well the issues have not returned and car is fine the last couple times I used it. I trickle charged the battery full and if this returns I’ll replace the battery.