Advice on a 355 GTS I found | FerrariChat

Advice on a 355 GTS I found

Discussion in '348/355' started by sgtpeper, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi All,

In my quest to find the right Ferrari, I came across a 355 GTS - red with tan, 36k miles, 4-5 owners, records back to 2000. Originally bought in the US and exported to Canada, the car is now in Florida.

I have it going in for a PPI on Tuesday at F1 Imports & Exotics.

I've been able to track down a ton of info on the car including the last sale which was on BaT in 2017. The dealer who bought that drove it from Canada to Florida to hand off to the current owner.

Owner 2 had the targa painted red

Current owner seems to have added fender shields.

Last major was in 2017

Dash looks good

Seats may have some cracking in the center section

The car is a '97 should I be worried about valve guides?

What else am I missing and what else should worry me?

Thanks,

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I would do a leak down before buying any 355. I had it done it for my 348 so I am not just saying that, compression and leak down actually I did.

3. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    with the major done as recently as 2017, there is not much to bargain there.
    indeed do leak down and compression test, from what I read leak down up to 10% is acceptable, but of course everyone will have something different to say.
    compression should be more or less even across all cylinders.

how are the stickies..? that can be bargaining chip.
    are the stock headers still on? that can be bargaining chip.
    check suspension all four corners, are there any signs of leakage

4. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Sounds good.

Compression and leak down in 2017 were very strong. Hoping that is still the case - 5k miles later (2900 of that being the drive from Canada to Florida).

There do not seem to be any stickies

Is it a huge negative that the targa was painted red and they added shields?

Cats seem to have been replaced in '06 at 20k miles.

Right header was replaced in 01 by Ferrari under warranty.

Forza bypass valve added

Tre Colori in Canada did the last major in 2017.

Lots of other things in there too..

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not if you like it no. These cares are not investments, they are passion projects. I plan on painting mine and I have shields. I personally think these cars require the shields.

355dreamer likes this.
  6. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I don't know how a painted top can be a negative, I don't care for the black target myself. But who will know the difference my 98 has a painted top.

shields can be removed.

QSA likes this.
  7. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm getting really excited to hear how the PPI goes on Tuesday. The car isn't registered currently so I'm having it flatbedded there.

8. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Honestly, I like the painted top. Makes it look like a berlinetta when installed.

That being said, wasn't the painted top a factory option for the 355 by 97? Maybe it's factory?

10. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I found a receipt showing it was painted by a previous owner. It was an option that year though.

11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Non original radio.

I think it all depends what you plan to do with the car if the painted top or shields matter to you based on originality.

I prefer the painted top look.

I have shields on my Blu car but they are aftermarket yoshi metal shields. Nice but I have mixed feelings on them. I wish they came with the car with the indents but they weren’t available in 95. I’ll probably remove them in the future.

Probably needs a new battery every 3 or so years and I highly recommend a ctek tender off the rear terminals.

Check your tire date codes and underneath the car for any needs there along with possible leaks.

check the a/c

lots of other ppi items to look at.

Robb

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  13. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Seems like a pretty reputable shop. They sent me a 5-page list of things they check.

14. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I remember this car from BAT- it’s really nice and seems reasonably priced. I almost bought it but didn’t want red!

sgtpeper likes this.
  15. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
  16. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm really excited to see what the PPI uncovers for this car.

Am I a fool for wanting to sell my 996 Turbo for this 355? I may end up keeping both for a while but not sure I really need 2 sports cars at the moment.

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    996 Turbo is a great car. So is 991' and Audi R8, "insert car here" etc None of which are a Ferrari. The "want" you have for a Ferrari.... EVERYONE who is a car guy who does not have one has it. Do it. Life is short no tome to waste.

zhani355 likes this.
  18. Sami

Sami Karting

Jan 28, 2012
  19. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The car is on its way to the shop for the PPI now! Will keep you all posted with results and questions!

Thanks,

chrisj951 likes this.
  20. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I was planning to do a compression and leak down test but the car has not been driven in quite some time and isn't even registered at the moment. The tech said if the car has sat awhile it will fail the leak down test. Anyone else agree with this?

Thanks,

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #21 Ferrarium, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    No, but easy solution, run the motor, let it come up to temp and work the oil in, get engine up to temp. The car does not have to move. The car "rolling" has diddly to do with rings and valves sealing. When it cools down do the test the next day.

Cold test will usually throw lower numbers than warm as everything is all lubed and sealed. You can do it either way the issue is consistency across cylinders not the actual number unless the number is really low or something. That's the key point.

In-fact an old mechanics compression test trick is to squirt oil into the spark plug hole when cold to help seal making a bad test good. This is why I prefer a leak down, aside from not doing it and lying about it it will show issues a compression check can't and you can't hide it.

I do both. Overkill... probably.... but beats buying it and finding out you need a 15K engine job. Well unless you make 50K a month and could care less of course then those people will tell you to buy it anyhow. :)

22. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The tech got the car and said it doesn't look like it's been sitting really so he's going to do the compression and leak down test. Another 3 hours of labor and 50 bucks in parts for the spark plug gaskets.

23. texasnoiz

texasnoiz Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2018
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    k s
    Looks like a good find. Id paint the top body color - personal pref I guess. I just bought a 95 manual berlinetta with 36K mi. - well kept in AC garage all its life. engine out being done prior to delivery - including new AC compressor, rebuilt water pump, new cv boots - im kind of getting it future proofed - not that any of these parts failed but since motor is out and these parts are accessible why not get it done now. I plan to drive it a couple of times a week at least. 600-800 mi / month is probably likely. what's you all's take on miles riding up beyond 40-50K? i like to drive my cars dont really care about 'value' as much since it's a driver to me if it's more than 10k miles.

24. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Here are the main things they found during the PPI
    1. Needs tires badly
    2. One brake caliper in front is leaking
    3. Aftermarket cats - causing a check engine light. ----Would this prohibit the car from passing emissions?
    4. Minor crank seal leak
    5. A/C Recirc Servo broken
    6. Blower blend motor broken
    7. Ashtray surround broken
    8. Drivers seat leather cracked
    9. Upper dash leather JUST starting to pull slightly
    10. Clutch pedal slightly heavy
    11. Capristo bypass valve - may also be causing the check engine light?
    12. Oil level too high - slightly.

Can any of you weigh in on this?

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    All normal maintenance stuff. The cats are a problem for emissions yes. But it's a 355 so expect issues and cost with exhaust stuff. Lots of threads I have seen on cel's and aftermarket cats. Run some searches for details and resolutions.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app