Why don't Japanese sports cars have more street cred compared to European brands? | FerrariChat

Why don't Japanese sports cars have more street cred compared to European brands?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ren0312, May 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ren0312

ren0312 Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    Despite being in the game for decades? You can argue that Japanese brands like Acura and Nissan have slightly more street cred in the US because of ricer culture, but outside it they are basically zero, compared to the likes of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, or even brands like Maserati or Pagani. Mechanically arguably, the Acura NSX and the Skyline GT-R, are the equal of European sports cars. But then you can argue as to why Japanese mechanical watches are not as famous as European mechanical watches despite being as accurate, or nearly as accurate.

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe because they were 40 years late to the game? Yes, they had cars 20 years into the game, but these were middle of the road and mediocre compared to competitors ranking as best in class.

pilotoCS likes this.
  3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I think this is it. ^^^^

The Acura NSX, both original and current, are wonderful. The Honda S2000 is wonderful

Going back in time, the Datsun 2000 was credible and arguably better than the British sports cars of the day. The Datsun 240Z was a game changer at the time. The Mazda Miata is/was a fun and well built car. It's inspiration was the original Lotus Elan of the '60's. Anyway, the Japanese cars have a loving following, especially in California.

Boomhauer, 375+, ShineKen and 2 others like this.
  4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think they do with young people.

carguyjohn350, Boomhauer and tomc like this.
  5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    None of the Japanese brands (with the possible exception of Mazda) has ever been consistently committed to building good sports cars. They'll dip their toes in it from time to time but then spend a decade or two away from it. Honda has had the great S2000 and the NSX, but they let the S2000 die and took 11 years to bring the NSX back. Toyota had the Supra for awhile, but then let it die around the turn of the century, and then had the LFA for a few years, and then kinda brought the Supra back. Nissan had the 240z and the 300zx but then took a decade off until they brought the GT-R out. That was an impressive car when new, but its now 13 years old. Mitsubishi had the 3000GT, but they never built a successor.

All of these brands give the feel that they are only doing it to check a box, not because that's their primary mission. Mazda is the sole exception, however they've never had a halo car, and the Miata, despite being an excellent car has always had a bit of a hair-dresser stigma.

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    they don't make enough great sports cars. s2000, supra, nsx, gtr, rx7 were all nice but too few of them. plus they are entry level supercars at most competing with bottom of Porsche, Ferrari, lambo lineups. jap sports cars more comparable to vette than anything from europe

7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    and they let their sports cars wither on the vine re. 370z and gtr haven't been substantially updated in over decade. that is a bad look if want to be considered with Porsche, etc

8. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    I thought the GT-R has received multiple meaningful improvements over the years

I do feel the R35 version has been too long on the market

9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    yes there were r32 etc versions as well but i was talking about the very long in tooth r35

10. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    What?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_2000GT

Texas Forever, Boomhauer and ShineKen like this.
  11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Yes gt was beautiful design but just 6 cyl and made very few of them. Not sure if imported here either. They were selling near million dollars few yrs back but not sure where that market is now

12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Lfa probably closest thing to Japanese supercar but even that was second to 599gto at the time

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Nissan/Toyota/Honda are not luxury brands let alone performance brands, which is why anything they make to compete with Lambo/Ferrari would fail. Even with their luxury brand divisions (Infiniti/Lexus/Acura) they would fail as those are not priced in remotely close territory to compete. They would need to make a standalone brand like VAG did with Bugatti rather than try to market it under an Audi badge or even worse VW badge.

I wish Nissan would have made more than one street R390. I don't care about badges and would happily take that over most cars.

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I've only been to a couple of cars and coffee type events, and each time I chatted with a couple of young guys with Japanese sports cars. Integra, GT-R, Z', G-37. All seemed knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Enjoy talking to them...T

alum04org and pilotoCS like this.
  15. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
  16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    mgb knockoff. Imitation is another reason asian cars not taken seriously. Miata is prime example

17. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    Maybe it is a more fundamental culture or identity. The Japanese developed the sports cars in addition to their normal product, the exotic manufacturer only made a sports car. A Ferrari or Porsche business needs to stay true to its core product, a sports car, but Honda for example has a different core product. Also the target customer demographic drives the product. It’s good to have variety.

pilotoCS likes this.
  18. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    IMHO, this was one of the best looking ZX's of all time. Like other Japanese cars, 4-bolt wheels was a deal killer and seemed to convey playing in the minor leagues.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki and tomc like this.
  19. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Might not be exactly a "halo car," but I think the final generation of the RX7 was one HELL of a step towards such a thing.

Boomhauer and ShineKen like this.
  20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#20 Tcar, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
    ...and the MGB was a copy of the Renault Caravelle roadster, (Floride). Readily acknowledged by BMC. :)

Boomhauer, 95spiderman and pilotoCS like this.
  21. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Small convertible sports cars, by nature, will all resemble each other to a certain degree. No big deal in my book. It's how they drive and the price (especially back in the day) that made the difference.

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    never heard of it. good one

23. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    just looked it up. the renaults were rear engine air cooled and were considered vw bug competitors look pretty similar though

24. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Mostly I think it's because they don't care about foreign markets as much s they care about their own. Or didn't, for a long time. The RHD issue is also something to be said - these cars were made in small volumes, and since they look domestic market first, foreign second, they built lots of RHD cars. At some point making them LHD and trying to sell to foreigners might have been too much $$. If you look at what they have for sale in the JDM, particularly in the 80's and 90's, you'd see a lot of different models of their cars, many of them "sporty".

There may also be something to tax laws or engine displacement limiting laws in Japan which discourages them from making bigger, more powerful engines, but I wouldn't know.

Just a few things to think about.

25. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The Mazda Cosmo was a halo car back in the 60's

David_S likes this.