Calling Ed Niles! | FerrariChat

Calling Ed Niles!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 375+, Apr 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Anyone hear from Ed? He may be in Fchat quarantine.

V12addict likes this.
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    again a new virus??? :)

3. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Been thinking about Ed, hope all is well with him. Going to dialysis in these times not very easy. BTW going through my old files found a personal letter he sent me welcoming me to FOC back in the day. Very kind and thoughtful. Wishing him all the health and safety at this time.

christc, of2worlds, 635CSI and 3 others like this.
  4. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Bump, and wishing Ed all the best in these hard times. Hope you are working on another Ferrari Project. Original art by Chuck Queener.

Fennicus, tritone, quailgun and 11 others like this.
  5. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ed messaged me this evening. Asked me to relay that he is experiencing difficulty logging on.

Receives an “address taken” error ...

Any suggestions? I’m gonna try and help but not brilliant on some tech issues

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That's great to hear Jim, thank you. Hey Ed we're over here!

V12addict and readplays like this.
  7. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Glad it's only Ed's address that is kidnapped and not Ed himself by the Ferrari purists :D:D. Can't wait for this issue to be resovled so he is back.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Have him create a NEW user name and log in Ed Niles2 and just steam on...….an eBay hack rendered my old account useless.

Just do that... easiest resolution, in my mind..

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Better he be hit by a computer virus than a certain other virus!:)

Come on Ed we miss you, we want tales, we want tales!:D

10. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Ed has over 2400 posts. Will he be able to continue as his old log in name i wonder? Is there something the Moderators can do to fix this.

11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Probably. Several posters here have changed their screen names and the mods have transferred over the old data. Might require two interventions to revert back to the original user name.

of2worlds and V12addict like this.
  12. AtSomePoint

AtSomePoint Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Bill

Regarding "Address taken" error, is that the full message he receives (can you confirm with him)?

It sounds like the IP address is being used by another device (his phone, another home computer, etc.). That can be remedied via rebooting the router then shutting down and restarting his computer once the router is back up.

readplays and V12addict like this.
  13. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks I will share this with Ed.

readplays likes this.
  14. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #14 ylshih, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Bad advice :rolleyes:. Users who do that will find the new account closed or re-merged into their old account. We take account integrity seriously. Also any "ad hoc" account would not have Ed's post history nor his well-earned tags. :cool:

Yes, we do that as not everyone wants the same username for their entire life. But creating an account with a new username to be merged with an old username is the long and wrong way around to getting that done. It's easy to change the username to an existing account. Creating a new account, merging to an old account, and deleting the unwanted account is the half-assed way to do it. In any case, there's no reason to create a new username to solve a login problem, let's just solve the login problem.

--

"Address taken" is not enough info to identify what the problem is. The site logs show activity from Ed about 1:50PM Sunday. I've sent him an email to inquire as to what's going on.

15. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

nope,

2 user ID's is a no no. TOU violation and banable offense.

Clear cookies, clear temp files and cache and try again is a much better way to go.

and/or try a different browser.

computer reboot sometimes helps as well.

If still no luck, email the admin here: [email protected]

16. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Hey, it's me, hizzown bad self. I am such a computer dummy! You'd think that a guy who figured out the ignition system on a V12 could figure out a computer, but no. Thanks to all who asked about me.
    I had several bad falls around the end of last year, falling backward and hitting my head each time. (kookoo). In the hospital they decided that my kidney failure was bad enough that I needed dialysis, so that's how I spend 12 hours a week of my so-called retirement. I have to say that it is booooring.
    I'm delighted to be back, and thanks again to all who expressed their concern, and especially those who helped me get back. My new address is [email protected].

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Frankly, I’d love to give up my post count. It’s embarrassing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Glad to have you back. You should put your stories on Zoom or something. I said the same thing to Gerald, but he didn’t listen. Then again, the kids don’t care, do they?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  19. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Hard to believe but Gerald has been gone 10 years, miss him so.

Best regards,

Robert

donv, Nembo1777, of2worlds and 4 others like this.
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Welcome back Ed!

readplays likes this.
  21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #21 Nembo1777, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Hello Ed welcome back!

All the more reason to write down all your memories, I can help you edit your text (clean up your initial transcript), do the photo selection, the page layout and get your book published, I have three publishers. This is exactly what I did in 2013 for the autobiography of collector Dr Paul Schouwenburg of Holland, the book is called Ferrari fever by Eau Rouge Publishing and was book of the month in several leading magazines, it was a fascinating account, a pleasure to edit it, plus he had countless excellent photos of all the cars and eras in his life:

http://www.eaurougepublishing.com/publications/detail/ferrari-fever

As I told you years ago, there are enough people who care. It can be your legacy to the classic Ferrari community.

You won't really make money from a car book but it is very satisfying to do one with proper research, properly documented. That will give you something to do during all those hours of dialysis and the time will fly.

All the best!

Marc

22. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Glad to have you back Ed. Looks like you found your way home :D:D. Now it's time to share more of your Ferrari stories to enlighten us. You were missed. God bless.

Nembo1777, readplays and 375+ like this.
  23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Left us too early. Probably too much stress.

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Gerald was obviously a fount of knowledge and very good man behind his gruff shell: he was very good to me offering me to write for him starting in 1995, we collaborated for hundreds of pages of articles, from F50GT summer 95 to the latest so far: Retromobile this year, that is 25 years, miss him. We talked for 3 hours on the phone sometimes: one of the greatest dinosaurs. His daughter Cathy who runs the FML now with Jim Weed did a niece piece on her dad in the current issue.

V12addict, readplays, donv and 2 others like this.
  25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    And he loved his scotch! I wish things had turned out differently. I'm afraid the lawsuit took its toll.