458 - Anybody know of, seen or done 458 center lock challenge wheels on a street car? Pics? | FerrariChat

458 Anybody know of, seen or done 458 center lock challenge wheels on a street car? Pics?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Exoticar Auto, May 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    Working on something with a customer just asking. Wheels clear the brakes?

Exoticar Auto Inc.
    Christopher Knoppe
    Phone: 727-430-3997
    Email: [email protected]

2. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    #2 joeyfrost, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    I have seen it in the vw/audi community I’m in. What kind of car would you try to do this on? Depending on the car it can be too much work for what its worth. Usually worth it for show cars (wow factor).

First pic is an mkv r32, second is an mk6 R (same as my daily)

They are not centerlock wheels but with some work it can be done. There are conversion kits out there to covert a traditional bolt/wheel setup to a centerlock but depending on the car in question, it depends whats out there, what needs to be custom made, and what wheel setup will eventually work.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Clesrance is not an issue. The 458 Challenge and 458 Italia uses the same brake caliper and disc diameter. You would need to change the whole hub carrier setup to the center lock style from the Challenge car.
    There's the added issue of losing the parking brake. Not only is this very impractical, it might cause issues with the electrical system. This is a drum brake in the Italia and one cannot simply replace it with a small caliper.

The idea might sound cool, but it is a major undertaking to get done.

Additionally the front Challenge wheels are 10" wide and run 275 section rubber. The stock 235 tyres won't fit on the wheels and I doubt you can stuff 275 rubber underneath the Italia front.

The Challenge wheels are super light but not very strong. They don't last forever on track and would probably last even shorter on the street. Hit a pot hole and I suspect that they would taco instantly. They are wear items and were never meant for the street.

Not sure I see this ending well. Too many things are not compatible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

daflk likes this.
  4. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Better info from the second post. Misunderstood you were asking for a street legal ferrari. Im in so many car forums i answered for multiple manufacturers.

5. sfcorse

sfcorse Rookie

Sep 22, 2014