What a terrible thing to do to an E-type . . . | FerrariChat

What a terrible thing to do to an E-type . . .

Discussion in 'British' started by Bluebottle, May 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Fennicus and JohnnyRay like this.
  2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    YOU have no taste! What's you're major malfunction? It's a resto-mod! His car. His money. Ground up, beautiful restoration and build. Completely new powertrain and wiring.
    The 302 is smaller, lighter, and more powerful and sounds great! You don't like it? fine. But HE does and that's all that matters!

absent and Dbacr like this.
  3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    It's really not a very collectible car, way too many were made.
    Resto modding made it fun to drive and made it safer with better brakes and handling.

BJK likes this.
  4. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I'm a purist as well - and prefer stock and original for the retro/vintage experience. But there are those that like the resto-mod thing. Many mid-year Corvettes get similar treatment.

Bluebottle likes this.
  5. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.

Safer? Better handling? I think not, over here it’s pretty much guaranteed you would not be allowed to drive a self made modified customised car like that at all on the streets.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the original four wheel disc brakes and handling in any original E-type. Most people ruin the handling by fitting wrong tires and wheels and all kinds of “upgrades” instead if just adjusting and servicing the original components to original specs. It can make a huge difference. I have driven on track and road over the last 25 years both Series 1 4.2 and Series 3 V12 5.3, over the Alps several times and brakes or handling were superb.

The XK engine won Le Mans 24 hours five times in the 1950’s. What’s supposed to be special about a 302? I have no idea, nor have I ever wanted to have one. We did have a Jaguar AJV8 for eleven years and it was small, light and powerful, and very reliale as well.

YMMV.

Cheers!

Bluebottle and wax like this.
  6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    You have misunderstood my post.
    Nothing wrong with the original, it was one of the best sports cars for a reason after all but at the same time if someone decides to modify his car and make it "better" for himself and does it on a car that is not ultra rare example then there is nothing wrong with that.
    E-type was a mass production car and losing some of them to "resto modding" is hardly any tragedy.

BJK likes this.
  7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't think he misunderstood your pot, just disagreed with you, as do I.

8. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    One look at the details and seller's comments of the auction in question, and I can virtually guarantee that the resto-moded E-Type will out-turn and out-brake the original..

The bidding sure seems to have liked the car very, very much.

The approach of government regulations in our respective countries are very different.

In the few European countries I'm familiar with, anything installed on a car that wasn't available as factory-installed from the original manufacturer is banned and prevents the car from passing technical inspection. Convert OEM drums to to disc brakes? Nope. Tires must comply with OEM specs too. That pretty much bans all modifications. Is it reasonable to assume this approach affects owner's mindsets over time? That this type of regulation creates a protest-culture against anything non-OEM, even at the this car's high level of quality? It's probably unfair to say so, but that's what I read from the comments here.

Cheers,
    - Art