308 GTS front camcover removal | FerrariChat

308 GTS front camcover removal

Discussion in '308/328' started by bl10, May 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    Just curious. Am about to check and adjust valve clearance on 1978 GTS. I'm planning on not removing the carbs but will probably remover the engine cover.
    1. Is there anything I can do to increase the working space for the front bank (short of pulling the engine)?
    2. Seems to be some question as to best cam cover gaskets. I checked various sites and Superfromance and Mister Fiat have the best prices but am concerned about the quality. Any opinions?

Thanks
    Barry

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Purchased a pair of distributor rotors from Mr. fiat. ($140) for my QV Absolute aftermarket crap. Wouldn’t even sit down properly on the distributor shaft and almost took out a Cap. Mr. Fiat wouldn’t refund as the parts were now used and I ate the purchase. Just sayn..

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have dropped the motor mount bolts to jack the engine and replace the front header.

Just remember to put them back in.

4. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Working clearance is fine, its just kind of an awkward position to get to.
    Doug

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    As Doug said there is plenty of space to remove the cam covers. Just make sure you have lots of rags because the bottom edge of the heads will be full of oil and some will spill out.

As for cam cover gaskets make sure you get the green Klingersil gaskets (sold by many vendors including Superformance). Do not use anything else or it will leak.

6. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    Thanks Guys

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Are cam covers = valve covers?

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    yes

9. 348KYD

348KYD Karting

Jul 29, 2007
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I used the Superformance gaskets and they are fine - you have to trim them a bit and make sure to put a little sealant where they meet the cam seals.

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    To state the obvious, removing the deck lid greatly increases the room to work on the front side of the engine.

11. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    If you opt to remove the deck lid you'll save yourself some aggravation and time by drilling two small holes in the vicinity of the attachment bolts on each bracket for a total of 4 holes. Holes should be several inches apart. This guarantees alignment when you put the deck lid back on because the drill bits align the holes. Of course this assumes the deck lid was properly aligned before it was removed.

348KYD likes this.
  12. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    I have also used the superformance ones with no problems.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Seriously? $140 for two QV rotors? Last summer I bough two from Superfromance for $12 each. They are still listed at £9.95.

14. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    Thanks Guys

A couple of more things.

1. Is it safe to make a TDC tool that screws into the number one plug hole that has a 5/16 bolt to stop the piston say 20 degrees on either side of TDC so I can establish true TDC with all the slack out of the rotating assembly. I'm a little worried about the valves (intake or exhaust) hitting the bolt sticking down in the combustion chamber (Hemi and all that). We did this routinely in my drag racing days and never had a problem but I would hate to clip a valve. I can use a dial indicator instead if necessary, however, I just like the positive stop better. I need to know where actual TDC is as I am going to degree the cams to insure all is OK and since I installed the pertronix ignition module I want to insure the ignition timing is correct. The ignition lead (advance) is a bit of a problem as with out the retard micro switch it's been a little difficult to get the idle speed down to 1K or a little less with the AC on. Back when it was my daily driver, 25 years ago, I ran a little more lead which I am unable to do now without modifying the advance curve.

2. This is just me being lazy. I plan on checking the clearance on all 16 valves and , of course, those that are within tolerance leave alone. So my question is, is it OK to remove all the shims for the valves that need adjustment at the same time, documenting adjustment required as well a shim thickness, and still rotate the engine without the shims in place. The cams would, I assume, hit the top of the cam follower buckets. My fear is doing this could possibly damage the cams! My goal is to have all the shims for the valves that require adjustment out of the engine so I can possibly use some of them. Just a thought.

Thanks

15. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I would buy a dial indicator with a long extension and stick it down the spark plug hole on #1, rear bank. You can either make a bracket to bolt to a cam cover hole, or use magnetic base and bolt a piece of steel between two valve cover hold down holes.

Much more accurate. Dial indicators and mag bases with adjusting arms are not terrible expensive.

There should be a TDC mark on your flywheel, which should also be close enough for your purpose.
    https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/77751451

https://www.mechanicsurplus.com/products/139783550?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwZ2NjvXZ6QIVJRvnCh2Lvgm8EAQYDCABEgJQxPD_BwE

Doug

16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #16 308 milano, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
    IIRC I ordered superformance but they had a different end on them and I wanted OEM or equivalent. My mistake, looks like I paid over $240 for them and ate it. Guarantee it won’t happen twice. I’ll let the car sit before doing any more business with them. Actually had to laugh as they asked me to send them back to them which I did, they could clearly see that they were almost a quarter inch from sitting down on the rotor shaft and then told me they wouldn’t refund.. because they were used. .LOL Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  18. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    Doug
    I have a dial indicator that I already use and yes the timing marks are close. There is a couple of degrees dead time as the piston goes over TDC that the dial indicator won't pick up. It's easy enough to find exact TDC if you have a way to stop the piston on both the BTC and ATC side of TDC. I just want to verify the ignition timing (marks on the flywheel) and cam timing are within spec. The engine runs great particularly considering it sat in my garage for 27 years without being moved or turned over. I'm a little concerned about the front bank valve adjustment as It's never been checked and the car has about 70K miles on it. I've got a feeling the exhaust valves have two little clearance.

I started a new post with the TDC and valve adj questions.

Thanks

19. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    actually John, thinking about it more, the ones that I first purchased were from a gentleman selling out of the Sacramento area. No problem returning them. The ones I’m running now came from Superformace.

apologies for muddying this thread ,original intent was a word of caution about Mr. Fiat.

20. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    True, and although I also like a piston stop for finding TDC, you just need to use the dial indicator just like a piston stop. Note degrees where the piston is .1" from your minimum indicated, turn past TDC and stop at .1" again on the other side and note that degree indication. TDC is in the middle. Advantage is that a dial indicator should never be able to dent (or worse) a piston.