sensible upgrade on 575 | FerrariChat

sensible upgrade on 575

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by OP_911, May 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OP_911

OP_911 Rookie

Aug 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Srisant Chitvaranund
    Hi, I just bought 2005 575M RHD vin 000135659 Assn 52876. I'm new to this group and have spent time going through lots of posts. My car came with ceramic brakes (I think the previous owner has added them later on). Based on what I read, my car should have steering ECU and Shock ECU. My question are 1) does the ecu that came with the car far from the one on HGTC? Can i buy HGTC ECU and plugin with no-fault? 2) on suspension ecu also are they worth switching vs the standard that came with the car? 3) on shocks are they also worth switching or standard shock with new FHP springs and new rear anti-sway bar will do the job. 4)on gear control ecu, are they easy to upgrade?

Many thanks,

2. OP_911

OP_911 Rookie

Aug 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Srisant Chitvaranund
    Hi, I just bought 2005 575M RHD vin 000135659 Assn 52876. I'm new to this group and have spent time going through lots of posts. My car came with ceramic brakes (I think the previous owner has added them later on). Based on what I read, my car should have steering ECU and Shock ECU. My question are 1) does the ecu that came with the car far from the one on HGTC? Can i buy HGTC ECU and plugin with no-fault? 2) on suspension ecu also are they worth switching vs the standard that came with the car? 3) on shocks are they also worth switching or standard shock with new FHP springs and new rear anti-sway bar will do the job. 4)on gear control ecu, are they easy to upgrade?

Many thanks,

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Srisant- Your 575M is a post AN 52556 model, so is compatible with the HGTC shock ECU, but a swap probably is not really necessary since your steering position sensor passes lead into turn information to the shock ECU you have now. To change shocks, you also would need to change all the shock mounting hardware and bushings since that changed about the same time HGTC was introduced (AN 55769 for non-HGTC). That runs quite a bit of money for the shocks and mounts.

FHP springs are very hard to find, as are HGTC springs, and the FHP anti-roll bar is no longer available and the HGTC bar is hard to find.

For the HGTC TCU/transmission ECU, nobody has successfully upgraded yet that I know about. I think you might also need the HGTC/55769 Motronic ECUs to match the TCU, but am not sure. I have the HGTC TCU, but have not attempted to fit it yet.

Many of the folks wanting to upgrade the suspension on their 575Ms have earlier versions without the steering position sensor and some with soft shock ECUs, but those are not problems your late 575M has.

Attached Files:

4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I suggest you search through the 575 board (not this general one) and enlightenment will be yours. Then post any questions there and the experts will help you. It looks like you have a very late 575 which works in your favour as the cars were updated meaningfully through the production span.

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Taz- how do you fancy pulling the firmware off your HGTC ecu? Be cool to see if you can get it going on another suspension ecu.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Double post. Answer in other one.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- I have the HGTC TCU, but not the HGTC shock ECU, which is incompatible with my pre-52556 575M. I seem to remember Eric in southern France copied my TCU, though, since he was already doing CS TCUs. We never followed through, yet, because I think you need late Motronic ECUs, too. That would decrease min shift time to 180 ms from 220 ms, like F1A on the Superamerica and early 612s.

8. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
  9. OP_911

OP_911 Rookie

Aug 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Srisant Chitvaranund
    Dear taz,

Many thanks for your reply. I think I will just put 4 new springs FHP that I just ordered from eurospares, new rear 19.5 sway bar that I will have it customized here in Bangkok and full exhaust system from Fiammenghi. This should already transform the car. Welcome to any other suggestion.

Cheers,

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Srisant- I would try the FHP hydraulic steering ECU and see how you like it. Mine has it and I really like it. You can get a factory one or Maranello Skunkworks can provide one for you.

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    If anyone is wondering, ********* is what an excellent Italian engineering company becomes when you enter its name on Fchat because of a Stasi-style censorship system here. It is owned by Fabio F iammen ghini, and it's called F iammenghini Engineering. Just put the words together. Fabulous guy.

Red575 likes this.
  12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    These sound like great additions. Remember the tyres. A set of Michelin PS4Ss (if you have 19 inch wheels) or MPSS will make a huge difference to handling.

13. OP_911

OP_911 Rookie

Aug 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Srisant Chitvaranund
    Taz,
    How's the FHP steering feels compared to the one I have? Is it heavier? Do you have parts number for it?

Many thanks,

14. OP_911

OP_911 Rookie

Aug 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Srisant Chitvaranund
    Done, first thing when I got the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Themaven likes this.
  15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, a bit heavier than the standard steering. Less boost to get in the way of steering feel.

Here are all the parts numbers for FHP. Brakes will not be of much interest.

Attached Files:

16. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Srisant, if you haven’t already you might check the part numbers of the parts on the car before ordering new replacements. A guess would be that anybody who has gone through the trouble to install factory HGTC brakes to a car has made other upgrades to the suspension or ECU’s. Either way in the end you should have a nice package. Enjoy!
    Bill
    FL

17. OP_911

OP_911 Rookie

Aug 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Srisant Chitvaranund
    Dear Konadog06,

When I bought the car I hope that the previous owner might have bought the whole HGTC upgrade when I saw Ceramic brakes. Unfortunately, when I looked at the rear sway bar it is a standard so I assume that everything else remains standard. I have not checked either suspension ECU and steering ECU. Can you tell me how to locate suspension ECU?

Best,

18. OP_911

OP_911 Rookie

Aug 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Srisant Chitvaranund
    Hi Taz,

I'm planning to have a shop in Bangkok making a thicker 19.5 swaybar for me. Is it simple and easy as it sounds or there are specific materials to use? Do you have any specifications on the swaybar like drawings or something?

Many thanks,

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Srisant- No specs or drawings, just the diameters.

The shock absorber ECU is in the right cheek panel on the passenger side.

20. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  21. OP_911

OP_911 Rookie

Aug 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Srisant Chitvaranund
    Is this also the case for RHD cars?

22. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    You will find it in the passenger footwell on a RHD. Here’s a pic when i changed mine

Image Unavailable, Please Login

OP_911 likes this.
  23. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Long ago I made some anti-sway bars out of 4140, I don't remember how hard I had them heat treated.

If I were going to make more I would use 4140 and test an existing bar to see how hard it is then temper the same.

brogenville likes this.
  24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Glad Greg knew, because I had no clue on RHD.

25. OP_911

OP_911 Rookie

Aug 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Srisant Chitvaranund
    Hi Taz,

My 2 LCD display is broken, the one that shows gear selection is missing some lines in the bottom and the one that display clock doesn't have clear display with lots of lines. Do you have any solution for that without buying the whole unit?

Many thanks,