488 GTB Aircon really like this? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 GTB Aircon really like this?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Zynch, Jul 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

I have a 488 Spyder and have the same AC curse. It’s really really knowing at AC peed 4 when one cannot make a call or talk when the top is down. The 1-3 speeds are useless as if nothing is coming out . This is really annoying as in a warm day one needs to cool down at an optimal fan speed between 1-2 just like in a Toyota . My FF does not have this problem. Now because of this thread I will be going to the service manager. I’m also dealing with the radio turning on again and again and the BT audio being inconsistent despite software update by Ferrari.

2. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    Lamborghini quirk = bull poop (their badge).

Ferrari quirk = horse poop (their badge).

Either car is similar to a supermodel … beautiful but their poop does stink.

3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    It is largely irrelevant in my 458 spider as it is hard to notice a fan speed difference while the top is down :D

4. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I agree for Pre-Audi Lambo but not modern ones. Had my huracan for 3 years and never one issue and that was with even throwing a supercharger on it. So maybe part of the allure of Ferrari is they kept quirks? I would prefer they didnt

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree with you on this 100%. The symptoms and functionality being reported are very typical Ferrari. It works but is never where it needs to be.

If OP wants a car with the air conditioning performance and functionality of a German or Japanese car then he is the wrong car. No point winging about it. It's the same deal with the rest of the MI, sound system and the likes. Battery etc etc etc. Ferrari has been operating with old tech and getting away with it for years because the owners are too ashamed to admit to anyone their beloved Ferrari is a long way back in these areas.

6. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I think my car did not like me complaining about AC. Was very hot today and AC would not even turn on till about 15 minutes into drive. Was like it was telling me "I bet you wont complain about fan speed again". Is this just another Ferrari "quirk"? Hope it was a one time thing but will mention when I bring in for service

7. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1 for the auto setting. works perfect for me.

Rexcat458 and rw99 like this.
  8. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Similar experience with my California and 458 Spider. Because I drove top down most of the time it wasnt an annoyance.

My 610-4 and 580-2 coupes blow artic cold air out of the AC vents. I often turn the temperature up after leaving the garage on my way to work in the AM.

9. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Same for me as for @Surfah in the 45 8never get it to blow cold enough on a hot summer day. The 580-2 on the other hand blows cold as f-+0´ if I want it to, and superfast to adjust according to the temp-setting you turn the knob to.

Surfah likes this.
  10. 488mct

488mct Rookie

Feb 6, 2017
    Oman
    welcome to living with an exotic in hot and humid weather. We have the same issues here in the MEast. In the winter months when the RH and temp are lower the A/C isn't so bad. In the summer months it is really lacking. Sometimes I wonder why cant they just pull out a system from a Toyota corolla and stick it in the Ferrari ?:) those guys know what they are doing when it comes to the a/c dept !!

Ash Patel likes this.
  11. lerkabogl

lerkabogl Rookie

Aug 7, 2021
    Full Name:
    lerka bogl
    Yes, it's not bad, but because I didn't know that I had to have it chemically cleaned, it broke and broke. Remember, when you get access to the condenser, you must first flush it with a gentle stream of water from the inside and then from the outside.

12. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #37 Napoli, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    As others have said, AUTO setting will produce much better results. The problem with auto, though, is that if you choose to adjust the settings in any way, it returns to manual. :mad:

13. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

OP, yes normal.

YOLO

14. Ricambio

Ricambio Karting

Dec 30, 2016
    Bringing back this thread, the 488 we got, seems like the recirculating function does work for couple of minutes and then it shut down by it self (TURN OFF), we do press it again, TURN ON and again after couple of minutes it goes OFF.

It does in manual mode or AUTO mode though. And sometimes it will stick ON the recirculating function. Very weird. Of course makes weird and random changes of blower speed (manual mode) as well. Very annoying operating system IMO. Ican see the tach arround1K when appears that the A/C clutch is enagaged, and then the recirculation goes off byt itself, the RPM drops and get lumpy idle and the goes up again to arround 1k. A/C switch always stay ON though. I'm just trying to figure out the behavior or logic behind this system but is hard to understand it really.

15. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Just be happy the 488 actually points the A/C at the driver!

I’m the 458 the angle of the vents and limitations of adjustability on the driver side will shoot the A/C over the top of my left shoulder and then straight down the center console!

16. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Interesting thread… I have a 458 and I use the A/C exclusively in manual mode…

My A/C works amazingly well… There are no wonky actions, or ditzy unexpected control surges. It is also *super* cold. I normally operate it at the first fan setting, or the second. I keep the temperature dial on the lowest setting (I think it’s 62*F,) at all times when using the A/C.

I tried auto mode when I first bought it a few years ago, but I prefer to adjust the fan speed as needed, instead of having the system automatically do it. No problems thus far and I drive my 458 almost every day.

It’s bloody hot and humid here and if your A/C does not work well, you’re going to experience a sweat box inside your cabin… So, a working A/C is a top priority… For almost three years, manual mode has been flawless for me.

Cheers!

17. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    One thing that helps in my 488 Spider is that if I'm alone in the car I push the "Mono" button. All the air is directed through the 2 vents on the driver's side and the passenger side vents are disabled. You get twice as much air and so the lower fan speed settings cool as well as 3/4 without all the noise.

rw99 and Rexcat458 like this.