430 Scuderia ABS pump in F430 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia ABS pump in F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by F430addict, Sep 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Have you tried hitting it with a hammer?

2. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    So many times, just don't know what to do, I drive several hours to go to the track, get there and the car will not go into race mode, stuck in Low Grip, Very Frustrating

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    It’s a bloody strange one this.

Do you feel then that the yaw sensor has changed “something” in its behaviour?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    NO, the car drives fine, plenty of speed and smooth. The only time I can tell if the car is acting up is on the race track and when in "RACE MODE".

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    No, I mean do you think the replacement of the yaw sensor changed the behaviour at all? It seems from above that the problem is intermittent, so I’m just trying to think of possible factors that may be influencing the occurrence of the fault.

It doesn’t sound from what you’ve said above that it’s track driving that’s directly linked to the occurrence of the fault- you said for example that it happened on key on sometimes after just working a few mins before?

Maybe i need to go back and read through your reports above.

What’s confusing me the most is that the fault is telling us that the instrument cluster isn’t getting a signal from the abs module. This normally happens when the ABS module decides to shut down due to going into a hard fault condition, which shows up as an ABS/TCS failure on the dash. It would also be associated with a separate fault code on the ABS module itself. You’re showing neither of those things.

It’s a bit of a shot in the dark, but I wonder if you have a fault with the instrument cluster. The steering wheel node connects to the instrument cluster over the B-CAN, and the instrument cluster then relays that signal to the important C-CAN nodes. Maybe something screwey is happening in the instrument cluster then that this handoff isn’t occurring properly? Any way you could test it on another car?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    Replacing the Yaw Sensor did not make any difference. Problem is DEFINITELY INTERMITTENT. 2 years ago drive the car out of my garage, temp in the garage 65 degrees, car starts CHECK OK, Sport Mode. Drive the car to my destination. Park car outside, HOT DAY. Several hours later start the car NO CHECK OK but the weird symbol shows up in the tach display. Manettino is in Sport Mode. Drive home. Few days later drive the car again, start engine CHECK OK, Sport Mode. Drive the car, park outside in direct sunlight, come back to the car, start the car and same weird symbol shows up in the LCD display. January 2020, the weird symbol is now permanently displayed.
    Today on key we have had no issues, LCD displays: CHECK OK, SPORT, turn the Manettino to Race and the display reads Race, turn to cxl CST and that works, turn to Low Grip and that works, drive the car and ALL FUNCTIONS on the Manettino work BUT STILL SHOWING ERROR CODE "U1706"
    Using the computer we checked the instrument cluster, error code B1005 "ACTIVE" Suspension Failure. We cleared the code. Waited for 10 minutes, Key on ignition: Check Cluster and Error Code "B1005" appears again. Checked the ABS and error "U1706 still showing
    Mechanic pulled the steering wheel and the clock behind the wheel look good to the mechanic. We had a F430 in the shop but unfortunately the car is no longer in the shop

7. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Any codes showing up on the suspension ecu?

The Ferrari Modus software I have (which is the official software given to dealers by Ferrari) doesn't show B1005 as one of the listed fault codes. Closest one os B9005. which is for suspension failure.

8. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    You are probably correct B9005, suspensión failure. That was the only error code on suspension

9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Alan, can you please have all fault codes cleared, recreate the issue and then report back with a scan of the following:

Engine ECUs (NCM);
    Suspension module (NCS);
    E-Diff module;
    TCU (NCM);
    Cluster (NQS);
    ABS (NFR);
    Steering wheel/Manettino.

And, to confirm, you have replaced:
    - NFR;
    - Yaw sensor;
    - Anything else?

Have you checked battery voltage and condition?

10. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    Replaced battery with new, changed the YAW sensor and that did not make a difference as error code U1706 was still active, not communicating. Removed steering wheel and inspected, all looked good, checked the Manettino and that works as it should.
    I will ask the mechanic to clear all codes and then check what you have requested, will send what error codes I happen to find
    Drove the car several time on Friday, was able to use : Sport mode Race mode Low grip mode and then go back to Sport
    Came back to the shop and hooked you the computer, No comm with NFR U1706,
    Took the car out for another drive, used all modes, car drove well, came back and same error U1706, including B9005

11. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    Re-checked error code B1005

12. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Suspension failure. In my experience that does not cause a drive mode failure like you have experienced - it just defaults the dampers to the hardest setting.

Was that the only stored code (presumably in the cluster or suspension module) in all of the modules I asked about?

What happens if you turn off the car, leave it for ten minutes, and select Race before starting? Does it engage Race that way? If that works then it suggests the Race map (code/configuration) in the ESP module is OK.

Have you tried using the battery cut off switch for an hour and restarting? That should reset all modules.

If you clear all codes, and leave the car in Wet or Sport do you still receive the error? I.e. do not change the Manettino. This would help to ascertain if the issue is being caused by the Manettino output.

If your tech has ruled out a wiring issue then my money is on a temperamental ABS module, but without bring there with the car it's only a best guess. The steps I've written above may help pinpoint further.

brogenville likes this.
  13. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    P.s. in the Race mode test make sure that Race is selected with the ignition off.

brogenville likes this.
  14. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Helpful comments from Mark. Not sure I agree that the ABS pump is likely at fault; partly because it was just replaced, but also because a failure of that module would (normally) result in the ABS/TCS warning on the dash.

Starting the car in the different modes will be interesting, especially if we can get a consistent behavior out of it. Its always hard though when you have something thats intermittent and seemingly random. I had a nightmare problem years ago with some wiring getting pinched behind a bulkhead. It was pressing two wires together and was creating this weird intermittent fault. I still have nightmares about trying to track down that problem!

mwstewart likes this.
  15. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ahh, yes, I must have missed that the module has been replaced. It would be extremely unfortunate to have a second module with the same intermittent fault so I think that we can rule it out.

The yaw sensor is a two channel analogue device with a direct (non-CAN) connection to the module, so it isn't that. The wheel speed sensors are much the same and the error handling is all very robust, so there can't be anything else at the NFR end.

If the battery and charging system are OK, and wiring continuity are good then
    I'm with you, Robin. I seem to remember that the cluster does act as the gateway in the F430 implementation of the Florence architecture. It's certainly between the NFR and NCS.

16. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Yeah, the 430 is a bit odd in that there isnt a body ecu like you would have in Florence architecture. Instead the cluster provides the body ecu function.

17. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    Well after 12 months of dealing with this problem we think it was a faulty YAW Sensor, replaced the sensor and the car car starts and I get CHECK OK, Manettino is set in Sport Mode and while driving the LCD Display shows SPORT, can switch to Race and back to Sport. Finally I can get the car back on the race track. I would like to thank everyone who share their comments, greatly appreciated.

18. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Alan glad you got your car back on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    Thanks, I am excited to have the car back.

20. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Ok... great! What changed though? I thought you tried that before and the problem recurred?

21. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    Yes we did, not sure why the problem is not coming up again. Have tested the car for two day and I have no issues. I am hoping the issue has been corrected

22. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I don't think it was the yaw sensor as it would give it's own code and wouldn't stop the NFR communicating with other modules. Glad it's fixed though.

23. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    My money is on the hammering finally having worked.

24. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    I am so very luck to have a mechanic who does not give up, two Ferrari dealers passed on helping.

mwstewart likes this.
  25. Redsventeen

Redsventeen Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Hi guys, I'm having the same problem of being stuck in low grip mode in yhe 2008 f430 spider f1. Ive tried many things such as replacing the wheel speed sensors, front wheel hub and bearings, ediff solenoid, scud ing swiss ediff module and recently the ediff bypass mofule. None of them work except the ediff bypass module get rid of the ediff problem for good. I read the above post om the yaw sensor and feel like giving a try. May i have the part number of this yaw sensor please? Thank you.