Anyone Else Thinking About Getting the New 2021 MC20??? | FerrariChat

Anyone Else Thinking About Getting the New 2021 MC20???

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Will Motivation, May 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I saw this rendering of the new Maserati MC20, and well, if it really looks as good as this render and it's less than $160,000, and it has super car performance, I am going to have to get one...

I'm super excited to see the reveal and configurator once it is available.
    If I get one, I'll be sure to put the whole thing on my YouTube account so others can check it out of course.
    My concerns are depreciation, and lack of dealerships near me in Columbus, Ohio. I think closest one is 2 hours away in Cinci.

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    This is a whole new era starting for Maserati, a rebirth and the MC20 is a halo car so I would not worry about depreciation at all, it will remain rare and desirable for some time.
    I am very glad they are bringing this out though surprised they chose a rear middie layout as opposed to the classical Grand Touring long hood short rear front engined berlinetta.
    BUT this layout will get all the kids excited and nurture a new youthful interest in the Trident: all good.

This render is quite logical considering the shape Maserati has allowed us to furtively glance at so far and the latest design ethos of current models, so it might be close to the actual car...

I can't wait to try one...but only the traditional engine mode/version.

3. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    They're still working on a GranTurismo replacement which will be the classical front engine rwd layout.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  4. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    According to the article I saw, they are going to have that long hood shot style in the line up, sort of like a ferrari f12/812 shape and that will be the GranTurismo apparently, which makes sense. The render for that was fukking awesome as well. I'd consider that if it has a v12 or some exotic engine that sounds as good as it looks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes, I meant that I had expected a halo car by them to be a big long front engined one with a gazillion hp but still sophisticated and able to take you say from Hamburg to Cannes at whatever speed you chose but in comfort as well.

6. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    Oh ok nice... I am excited to see the line up. I think they do have an opportunity to be different and maybe hit that $130k to $180k price range where you don't see too many options.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    We would have known this month at tle launch in Modena but because of you know what we have to wait till September...

Will Motivation likes this.
  8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I like it , I just can't see it being $160k price point... The Levante Trofeo was $170K +

Don't get me wrong, I am open to it, I just can see it.

Looking forward to you review!

Steve

boralogist and Will Motivation like this.
  9. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    Yea, I tend to agree with you... Companies are trending up and up on their pricing... If they are over $200k, the competition is going to kick in because at that price point people are looking at used huracans, f12s, mclarens etc. If they get into that 130k to $180k NEW, they will be very attractive for the warranty etc.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  10. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    My crystal ball echoes the following thoughts from Topgear:

...the MC20 could come in at less than $200,000, but I think it will be notably more expensive than that. Maseratis aren’t cheap and a mid-engined sports car. [sic] The old GranTurismo fetches more than $130,000, so the MC20 will probably break the $200,000 mark. Don’t be surprised is [sic] this sports car goes into McLaren 720S and Ferrari F8 Tributo territory with a sticker at around $250,000.

Will Motivation likes this.
  11. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Would be nice if they come out with the MC20, new GranTurismo and Alfieri but most likely wishful thinking. I can't afford a new MC20 but count me in on the used market in a few years. Don't need it to be a GT car, I'd rather have a sportier car. They have the GT and Alfieri for grand tourers.

Merak1974 and Will Motivation like this.
  12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    After all these business carriers -most of them in boring black/black, silver/black, blue/black, white/black- I can only hope they bring a much sportier car. Hopefully later also in a Spyder-version. Definitely it will NOT a V12. These kind of engines are too expensive to make and are not appropriate to their future hybrid- and electrical versions. It will come with a V6 in close connection to the Alfa Romeo motor. This leaves space enough for the engine specs of the upcoming new GranTurismo.
    The rendering here in post #1 looks very nice...but its not official.

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Guaranteed to be over $200K

14. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    Yea if it's over $200k I'll likely wait for a used one after 6 months or so. But if it is over $200,000, then they are going to be tasked with making it more desireable than a lamborghini huracan, or used Ferraris, Mclarens, etc. But if they price it in that GT3 neighborhood, with similar performance I think they could have a winner. If it's above GT3 pricing, I doubt they will sell alot of them. But I read something that said their new goals are around selling more volume, so that seems to indicate they'll go for better pricing, and with a V6 turbo, that's gotta come in less than v10, v8 turbos, etc. unless the performance is somehow significantly better.

It's very interesting either way, and to me, this is the most anticipated super car reveal I see on the horizon.

15. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    If they price it over 200k it's another Maserati story of what could have been. Let's face it, those other brands you mentioned are above Maserati when it comes to sports car. Yeah Maserati has history and I'm a big fan of the brand but even if I had the money I wouldn't pay 200k for it vs a Huracan or 488. It seems like most Italian car companies just can't get it all together.

16. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    I would be very surprised if you could buy the new carbon tub limited edition halo car below 200 000 euros. My guess is 220-250 000. This is not a car you buy because it is considered “cheap”. You buy it because you want it more than any of the competitors. To me the Huracans, the 488s and so on are very common and not all that special. I hope the MC 20 will be

17. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    From what I have been reading, it seems Maserati wants to sell more cars. If they make it in that $250+ range, I don't think they will do do numbers to get their investors excited. I think their target is Acura NSX / GT3 level competition price point. But we'll see. I can't see people wanting a $220,000 v6 turbo unless it's some radical world beater... But I'm just talking and being hopeful.

18. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    That "render" seems to be the Alfieri prototype, but just in a new color. The existing prototype - which was first shown in Geneva in 2014 - in is silver.
    Yes, it is likely that the new GT will be based on it.

19. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    +1

20. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Maserati has been rather insisting on the idea of "returning to racing" with the MC20, so that is also a motivation for bringing out the model. If the car is able to make its mark in the GT3/GTE and equivalent classes in racing, the dual objective of re-establishing the sports car side of the marque, plus selling a good number of them, should be achievable.

Pawilly, boralogist and Nembo1777 like this.
  21. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If it looks close to this, it will be very cool, but it will be near that $200k mark I think and it will depreciate and anyone who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves, maybe not right away but it will and god help them if anything comes up on the early cars.
    First car with no Ferrari engine as it will be derived by Maserati and their track record is not great on their cars already which is why they all depreciate like rocks, I know I owned one.
    I truly hope its great as they need a home run very badly.

22. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Depreciation issues aside, which you may well be right about, what do you mean by "first car with no Ferrari engine"? I presume you mean "first petrol engined Maserati since 2002 without an engine assembled at the Maranello plant" or something like that. After all, we are talking about a marque that already had a full generation-long experience of racing and manufacturing before Ferrari even made its first Ferrari-labelled car.

boralogist likes this.
  23. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes if you want to be technical, but the modern generation which I consider the 2000+ era cars have had Ferrari engines (Ok 2001 to be technical) and now going forward they will not which was a selling point of these cars.
    Every salesman "and it has a Ferrari engine!" so they will lose that, maybe it will work out great, maybe not.
    I don't hate Maserati, I owned one like I mentioned and they have made some absolute beautiful cars which has always been a hallmark for them, but you cannot deny or ignore they have a poor history of quality and problems that nearly sent them into liquidation at one time and drove them out of the USA and people have it in their memory and it reflects in their resale values.
    I hope they hit a homerun with the new car and its everything everyone wants.

pearsonhaus and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  24. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    It's not a car you buy because it's cheap but the market won't buy it in high numbers if it's not below the competitors. As much as I like Maserati, I'm not spending new Ferrari F8 or Lamborghini Huracan money on one. Not that I have the money but just hypothetically. It's simply what I think they should do if they want to be more established. But then again Italian car companies always seem to take 1 step back for every 2 forward.

pearsonhaus likes this.
  25. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    #25 boralogist, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    If that were the case most of us, as Bora, Khamsin etc owners, wouldn't be on this board.
    These cars were almost always more expensive than their period Ferrari counterparts---for example,
    think cheaper Daytona vs the above mentioned Maseratis!

Yes, there has been tragic interludes in our marque's history, but that does not mean playing
    second fiddle forever to the two flashy newcomers from the suburbs, as they say in Modena!

Maserati has always been synonymous with class; unique unto itself in the world!

September is not far away; let's wait and see where the journey takes us next!

Regards.

Shahaf, Nembo1777, MrMark and 2 others like this.