Nascar at Darlington this Sunday . . I'm so bored I'll be watching. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Nascar at Darlington this Sunday . . I'm so bored I'll be watching.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by pilotoCS, May 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will you be watching Nascar on TV?

Poll closed May 30, 2020.
  1. Yes. It's better than nothing

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. Yes. I like Nascar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes. Darlington is the most challenging circuit Nascar has

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. No. I have to sort my socks

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. No. A race without a grandstand full of fans isn't real

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. No. I'm not THAT bored.

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. "Rain a factor, but NASCAR Coca-Cola 600 surprises with smallest audience in at least 20 years"

Agreed, but, bear with me.......

......as poor Peter (Gregg that is...) had to experience at Daytona 42.5 years ago.........(on the Saturday before the IMSA's "Daytona Finale" in his trimmed out and hubcapped (aero) Porsche 935.....making a run at Mark's (Donohue) 'Dega closed course record of 221.160 mph in his Porsche 917/30.....turning 222 'pernt sumpin' mph.....faster, but not 1% faster, so not official).....it too does not look like a record........less, but not that less enuff........:D

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    huh?

kylec likes this.
  3. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    NASCAR or 90 Day Fiancé ? Too easy ;).

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Pretty hard to sell that narrative to potential sponsors and/or buyers.

A friend texted that there was another NASCAR race at Charlotte last night. I couldn't find it
    on any of the relevant FOX Sports outlets other than FOX Deportes. So, tuned it in to watch
    in Spanish for a few minutes.

Gotta say, even though I had no idea what the commentators were saying most of the time,
    they were a big improvement over their English speaking counterparts.

BHW

5. As in: though the grandstands were empty (not due to the rain).......it was no big deal.....they were not that much emptier than previous to the "pandemic" to be worth mentioning.....

("Rain a factor, but NASCAR Coca-Cola 600 surprises with smallest audience in at least 20 years")

Image Unavailable, Please Login "It was a joke son......just a joke....." ;)

('same as the 1% difference that Gregg didn't show in going for Donohue's record of a couple of years earlier. A commentary on the state of NASCRAP anyhow) When you have to explain them.....it's a little late....)

6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    oh. I see.

if you have to explain it, it's not funny :p

kylec likes this.
  7. Yeah...wellll....al right, I guess you hadda be there. Image Unavailable, Please Login

I don't remember if there was a Chitwood show that year.....
    There wuz a bunch of us watchin' from the stands at the S/F line, so we could see the whole track, thinkin' it was gonna be a silly exhibition to git some more time in for the vendors; not a true run at the record. "C'mon.......a Brumos "911" (kaff-kaff) here vs. a Penske 917/30 at Dega???" We all were a-laughin'...... Image Unavailable, Please Login

Well, that all changed quick when he rolled out of the paddock with the wing.....flat....the flush aero wheel cover/inserts........side windows installed.....holes/scoops plugged or at least taped off somewhat........ :eek:

We realized this was a serious attempt. The weather was just right for speed too...... very cool (late Oct/early Nov.; back in '77, we had seasons down here), calm and clear. He made his run.

Not the one, 'can't find one, but, a Brumos 935, all the same....

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Sho' 'nuff, when we heard the 222 we thought he had done it and were all a-cheerin'...... Image Unavailable, Please Login

That is, 'til it was announced that it wasn't quite an official record..... Bummer :oops:......

Again, my signature.... All riiiight, I digress... :)

Isobel and GuyIncognito like this.
  8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    well I have a valid excuse: I wasn't alive yet.

:p

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Happens all the time that cars get disqualified in post race tech. Look at Ben Keatings disqualification from LeMans last year in his Ford GT.

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Hayseed gibberish.

11. Tsk, tsk, tsk......'dime a dozen..... :rolleyes:

:)

GuyIncognito likes this.
  12. Tsk, tsk, tsk......'dime a dozen..... :rolleyes:

:)

13. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004
    Nascar Cup race this Sunday, the 5th in less than 2 weeks
    All in the "core market" i.e. Southeast
    Meanwhile those really smart people like F1 are still wondering what to do

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    All NASCAR teams are based in the Charlotte, NC area and all of the race tracks are in the continental US. Formula 1 teams are based in three different countries and must travel internationally. Different countries different rules.

pilotoCS and lorenzobandini like this.
  15. #65 lorenzobandini, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Wondering???
    "Smart" people already know that the first two races (Austria) are approved.... 7/5 and 7/12. Not posting misinformation. ;)

To wit:

AUSTRIA START CONFIRMED

Confirmed all round now that the Austrian Government approval has been granted for a season start in Austria on 5th July as planned. Round 2 also will be at the Austrian track on the 12th July.
    The Formula 1 season openers in Austria planned for 5 and 12 July have been given the green light by the country's government, according to reports in the country.

Following weeks of discussions between F1, Red Bull Ring chiefs and local authorities, a safety plan regarding precautions to be taken amid the coronavirus pandemic has been signed off.

Earlier this week, health Minister Rudi Anschober said the government was "de facto finished" with the evaluation and processing, though he announced a final decision for "immediately after Pentecost."

However, things appear to have moved on much quicker and the thumbs up has been given just days before F1 is set to reveal its plans for the European stage to the season.

According to Die Motorprofis, the safety proposal for the two race weekends has been approved - as well as surprisingly the concept of a limited number of spectators.

However there will be a limit of just 500 extra people allowed in, although no details yet on what the exact plan for this is.

Even before the government's support, F1 managing director of motorsport Ross Brawn had already revealed plans for a 'biosphere' at races to isolate F1 personnel from the outside world.

This also includes that idea that everyone from F1 will land with charter flights directly next to the Red Bull Ring, at the military airfield near the circuit.

Anyone entering Austria for Formula 1 must have themselves been tested for COVID-19 before entering the country and present a corresponding health certificate.

On site, teams will stay among themselves, in accommodation specially reserved for them.

ORF.at reported on Saturday that a final confirmation was needed from the Styrian provincial health directorate and the district administration of Murtal.

However, an objection from this side was "rather not to be expected."

If the two races in Spielberg go smoothly, the F1 season could continue without a break on 19 July in Budapest.

Two races at Silverstone are being planned for the start of August, but these will depend on F1 getting an exemption from planned quarantine restrictions.
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14969 ... reen-light

16. And what do you know.....another hurdle crossed.

'Larn sum thang new ev'ry day: https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52872157
    Silverstone: F1 races given go-ahead by UK government

I guess it warn't those "F1 smart peeple's" foelt aftuh awwll, huh??? :p

(Helluva' Bristol, no? :D)