Is white an unpopular color for Calis? | FerrariChat

Is white an unpopular color for Calis?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by BLAMPEE, May 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

We all know about Resale Rossa Corsa in regards to most of the typical Ferraris.

Last time I bought a Ferrari was in 2008–a 1999 F355 Spider F1.

I originally wanted yellow but yellow and red were both commanding a 10-15% premium.

i didn’t want to pay extra for a color so I “settled” on TdF Blu and saved about 13%.

I’m now looking for a Cali 30/T and I am wondering if white is a hard color to sell as I am not seeing many sales of the white ones I have been watching.

Thoughts...???

2. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    I love my TDF blue Cali T. Buy a color you like and not for resale

whatheheck and tomc like this.
  3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I bought nero daytona but would have bought white if I had found it in the right spec ... great color on the car, I think, with cuoio or iroko interior.

TomC's car is gorgeous.

4. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    White was my second choice after yellow. When I couldn't find yellow I made an offer on a white/black one in Atlanta. While I was mulling the dealers counter offer the car was sold. I encountered 3 or 4 white ones while I was searching over a 3 month span.

5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I had a white 488 spider and I liked it. We had three white cars last year, now only one. I think Argento is another good color that might be less in demand but looks really good. Have one Argento now and my Cali T was Argento. You won't pay a premium for that color.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    We were very interested in a white exterior for the California. However, we wanted a tan or cuoio interior. We saw a white over black, and a white over tan, but the second car had two tone leather and was too "busy". We ended up buying nero over cuoio. White is a good color for the Cali, and it shows dirt less.

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    He's not whistling Dixie!
    My cioccolato interior gets as many positive comments as the avorio exterior. Cioccolato is a tad darker than iroko, which is more like milk chocolate.

In my opinion, white, in particular bianco avus, looks fabulous on a Cali. Pair it with the right interior - cioccolato, cuoio, iroko, etc. - and you're traveling in style and comfort, with a butt load of performance.

This one is a no-shields white stunner with blue sterling interior.
    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/799146250/overview?aff=share_text

White over chocolate...
    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/811039617/overview?aff=share_text

T

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It really depends on where you are. In my neck of the woods, a few whites were sold and they are not regarded as a bad choice still on the Porto. A bit feminine perhaps, but generally well liked. Interestingly enough, here you cannot get rid of a red Cali. In some places a Rosso Corsa Cali or Porto might be "proper Ferrari" but not where I am. On everything else, but not on the GT's in general.

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Tom, yours is avorio, no? That does look great with the cioccolato.

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Indeed, avorio over cioccolato. Thanks for the kind words.

OP...I don't think there are too many colors that don't flatter the Cali. Just my opinion, albeit a biased one...T

11. BLAMPEE

Justicepool likes this.
  12. BLAMPEE

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Way too red for me! But I guess a lot of people like that color as I see it quite often.
    T

AD211 likes this.
  14. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    White over red is a stunning color combo, but what about practicality? Sweat, and red leather. Think about it!

AD211 likes this.
  15. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    That's so funny ... I've owned a couple of Porsche 991 cabriolets, one white, and one platinum, both with red interiors and red tops, although it is more of a brick red than lipstick red. Every time I see a late model Porsche 991 twin turbo that interests me it has that same red/black interior. I can't seem to get away from it, and I vastly prefer tan or brown.

I love the spec on the first car -- Daytona seats! -- but it's too much red for me, as well. Would help if it had a black wheel and more black trim but it's still very bright red. The second car is right up my alley except I don't really care for the diamond stitched seats, they remind me of my ex-wife's Chanel purses ;) We are all so picky but at this price point you really need to be.

Not to go off too much on a Porsche tangent, but around 1990 or so I brought my 911SC over to my mechanic at the time, and there was a gorgeous white 1978 930 (911 Turbo) sitting there. Lipstick red interior. My friend gave me permission to hop in for a moment. Got right back out and later noticed I had red all over the back of my pants, apparently the seats had been freshly dyed. Oops o_O

tomc likes this.
  16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  17. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    White over cuoio...classic!

18. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Bianca Italia over Iroko. I think it is stunning!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

tomc likes this.
  19. HarryC

HarryC Rookie

Nov 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Harry Chambi
  20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    White on anything for about the last 5-8 years brings a premium.

Dealers pay more for white cars than any other.

AlfistaPortoghese and BLAMPEE like this.