Capri brake bleed tool | FerrariChat

Capri brake bleed tool

Discussion in '348/355' started by emac, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Anyone used one of these brake bleeders? I have a Motiv pressure bleeder. Can be messy and you have to have multiple adapters for various master cylinders. I have a Mitivac suction that works pretty good, but I get tired of pumping and dealing with the little bottle and hoses.

So, I came across this gem of a tool and it seems easier to use than my previous methods. Just wondering if anyone has used one. I think I am going to give it a try. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-Vacuum-Brake-Bleeder/dp/B00OM751EC/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1JCC0UOPT7NQR&dchild=1&keywords=brake+bleeder+kit&qid=1590289473&s=automotive&sprefix=brake+bleede%2Cautomotive%2C161&sr=1-6

2. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    I bought the harbor freight version ($30) of that a decade or so back. Tried it once but went back to the motive. The thing I like about the motive is not having to worry about the fill side going empty. Now the kit did come with a fill bottle that attached to the master, but I could not get it to fit under the car’s hood I had at the time; this would not be an issue on the V8 Ferraris, but the adapter may not fit.

3. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Have a mitivac vacuum power bleeder (better version of what you searched) and a motive power bleeder. After many attempts at using the power vacuum bleeder, I found it hard to get a proper seal and therefore was impossible to tell when you were done or if you were introducing air into the system. I always switched back to the motive to make sure I did the job correctly. I did add a much longer vinyl line to the motive bleeder and cut it off each time I change adapters as I found the quick adapter to be leaky.

Skippr1999 likes this.
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Mighty-vac is great for a motorcycle, but they have seal issues, they leak, you pump till your hand cramps etc etc. Generally they suck but are tons better than knock off version, but they still suck.

A vacuum based one that is air compressor driven works amazing, a motorcycle shop used to use it and they work with a compressor to do the draw. You just sit at the reservoir and keep it filled. Not sure of that was the unit but I bet it works great.

5. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    QSA likes this.
  6. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    That does look better than the Motiv and the motiv works well with screw on reservoir caps. I have a lot of different cars, so my goal is to have one tool to do them all. I have been using the Mityvac but tired of all the pumping. I am going to give the Capri a try. The air bubbles sucking around the bleeder threads and the seal are common with the mityvac, so that really doesnt concern me. I suck until I get fresh fluid, then move to the next wheel. Thanks for all the comments.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  8. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Eric, thanks that was one of the videos I watched before buying.

9. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
  10. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Hi Ernest. I’m getting ready to bleed my brakes for the second time in my ownership as well.

I used a vacuum blender much like the Capri the first time and it was effortless and easy. I’m going to use it again. Same technique in that video.

I found it interesting that the WSM manual says to start with the front brakes. Every other brake job instruction I’ve seen says start with the furthest away from the master.

I wonder why Ferrari is different.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've tried manual, vacuum and pressure. Have down pressure is the way to go.
    Also, you can't vacuum or manually bleed the clutch, the pedal will almost always go to the floor and not return.

Manual works fine, but requires two people which is not always practical.

I found with vacuum took way too long, and since air was able to pass through the lose threads on the bleeder valve, you always with get little bubbles. You never know when you're done.

With the pressure bleeder, just add new fluid, pump it up to like 12psi, and just crack the valves, watch it flow.
    My only concern was somehow that id have some sort of pressurized explosion of brake fluid, so I always wrapped a few towels around the tubes and resivoir, and even a big blanket on top of it all. But then again, I've never heard of this happening.

12. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Why can’t you vacuum the clutch?

I didn’t experience the issue with air in the vacuum tube. I was using different color fluid and the transition was clear as to when the old was replaced by the new.

I did not bleed the clutch so am interested as to why you cannot vacuum that line as well

13. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Mitt-vac vacuum is awesome. I use it all my cars....clutches too.

14. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Yes the standard cap supplied is the one to use for our cars. It is pretty much a standard size for all recent European brake master cylinders. They also include a large round "universal" cap that just clamps down. They also include about ten additional fittings to use on specific European (Audi,VW, Benz, BMW etc.) transmissions for fluid transfer into them as well. Nice complete unit especially for the price. They also have a simpler brake only unit that has a smaller bottle with just the standard cap,pressure gauge and pump for around $30 if that is all you want it for. I have both units but hey, I'm a tool junkie. o_O

Attached Files:

15. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I really like my Motiv pressure bleeder when I am using it on euro cars, but I have cars that have other caps and the universal thing I had leaked and was a pain to get right. Swapped to the Mityvac and it works....yes I get some bubbles, but the main drawback is having to pump the thing. So, I am going to give the Capri a try.

Bob, glad to hear it worked for you. Sounds like you have been doing a lot of spring 355 projects. How is the AC? I am going to redo mine soon.

16. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Ernest. I got the compressor installed and I’m going to go see Neil (Baddabing ) soon as he has the necessary ac vacuum and gauges etc and has done this.

did the oil and coolant and going to do brakes and trans now. I never did the clutch when I installed new yellow calipers and SS brake lines. The clutch works fine and I’m reticent to mess with it by bleeding it.

like to hear if others have have issues with vacuum bleeding the clutch. As I said I did new calipers and brake lines with the vacuum bleeder and got solid pedal from the get go so I know it works fine.

17. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I haven’t done a 355 clutch vacuum bleed, but have done 930 Turbo. If it’s a bleed nipple like on any brake caliper the vacuum should work just the same.

18. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Yes there is a nipple just like the calipers. Kenney said it won’t work and I’m wondering why it would be any different than the brake lines.

19. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I just finished bleeding my brakes and clutch with my vacuum bleeder and no issues at all. The brakes and clutch are perfect on a test ride.

I vacuumed out the reservoir and over filled it with new fluid and constantly checked that it stayed filled so as not to introduce any air.

I had used a blue fluid last time and the motul is amber so it was pretty easy to tell when the old had been replaced with new.

I think there was a problem with the dye in that blue stuff and it’s been dc.

20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Good to know thanks!

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Bob I assume you turned the key on and let the abs pump run for the rear brakes but no abs pump needed for the fronts? No need to pump the pedal for the rears?

22. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I just bled the brakes and the clutch, not the abs pump .

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Insisting I thought the abs pump had to be on in order to bleed the rear brakes. thanks.

24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Only on a car with the Teves system. (95 and earlier)

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Got it thanks John, Teves...