Drove a TDF today. | FerrariChat

Drove a TDF today.

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Themaven, May 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Hello, FF/Lusso/F12/812 board. I own a few Ferraris (F512M, gated 575, gated 430) and have driven many more as I am a journalist. Today I had the good fortune to drive the TdF owned by a friend of mine.

What a car. First, my friend drove, at quite serious speeds (He is an experienced racer). That engine, shooting up to the redline, the ride settling down as you go properly fast..a work of art.

I then took the steering wheel. I was obviously more cautious. Having driven the F12 on a number of occasions over quite significant distances and periods of time, the contrast really struck me. The F12 is for me a crazy fast car that doesn’t really feel it. It gains speed in the blink of an eye, without fuss.

The TdF, though..First, there is the steering, which is super hyperactive, but seems better weighted somehow. Then, the fidgety ride. Take a long, sweeping corner fast, on a surface that is a little bumpy and broken, and you really, really have to focus. It is not always as in contact with the road as he would want it to be. Add to that an engine that just shoots up the rev range if you even think about touching the throttle, and steering that is like a games console controller but with extra weight, And I instantly understood why the three friends I have who own these cars say that they are a handful.

But, what a monster, and what fun. I wondered for a while why Ferrari didn’t make its standard V12s more in this direction, But I know why. People would die. It’s a raw, unfiltered, focussed machine that’s also quite big and has front wheels turning in way in front of you, in an instant.

I absolutely loved it. I was quite equivocal about the F12 - very very fast, But for me lacked involvement. The TdF was, amazingly, more involving at low speeds. Normally it’s not like that with the hotted-up versions, which come alive only when you’re about to die.

Anyhow, what a car, and to those here who have one, hats off.

2. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Amazing sharing, thank you! Awesome to hear.. one day I hope to add one!

3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks for sharing. would love to see pictures. very cool that your friend let you drive

Themaven likes this.
  4. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Thanks for a great read!

Themaven likes this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Six percent lower gearing and 38 more horsepower will do most of that. :)

Thecadster likes this.
  6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That is certainly part of the equation. But I was driving on the road, rather than track, at legal (ahem) speeds. The extra hp over the already crazily powerful F12 would not have made much difference to my impressions, as I wasn't spending much time above, say, 6000 rpm on full throttle...

What really interests me, and felt different to the F12, was the suspension setup and feel. I expected the TdF to be firmer, of course. The steering rack is the same, but the feeling is of a much more hunkered down car, and when you press into a corner, you are at the apex without thinking about it, and without any fight back from the car. After which it is easy to aim yourself, with the aid of the RWS, into the passenger side of the road, or over correct and find yourself on the wrong side of the road. The super wide front tyres (Corsas) must also be part of that.

It's quite hard to describe. It's not just lightning fast cornering like, say, a Pista. It's like driving a wild animal that will do things brilliantly, or disastrously, and the difference between the two is wafer thin.

Then, and this is an observation really for those who like us in the UK have some poor road surfaces, there's the opposite effect. Exiting a roundabout on a road curving away gently to the left, I gave it maybe 60% throttle in third gear, dry warm day, warm tyres. F12 would have just gone where aimed. TdF front and rear wheels pattered on the slightly rough Tarmac, and the car threatened to go straight ahead where the road was curving left. I just kept on aiming left and it caught up with me, but for a bit, neither the front nor the rear wheels were adequately in touch with the road for any of the systems to make a difference.

Now, imagine that, with a not so experienced driver, and a road whose surface then smooths out. You're trying to make it turn in, it's not really doing it, then grip comes back and you're trying too hard and you have massive front tyres (as big as the rears on an F12) zapping you leftwards and rears that are suddenly in full contact with the ground with nearly 800 hp and - zam. You're in the tree on the left of the road.

I would like to say this is not remotely a criticism. Quite the opposite. Cars like the Pista, Speciale, and RS Porsches that I have reviewed, are docile, and frankly, not much fun, at legal speeds. They protect their drivers against their abilities, until they are really extended. But unless I am tracking a car, what I call "legal+" speeds is all any of us have.

The TdF feels like it wants to kill you on a slightly bumpy country road at normal speeds, in the dry. It's a (quite) friendly monster; and when it really wakes up, it really does sound like an F1 car from the 80s. I love that, and my real delight is that it is so unlike the special editions of the V8 Ferraris (maybe aside from the much slower 430 Scud, which while raw is not nearly as hairy) as well as the Porsches and even the Lambos. A 720s is as fast but feels like a computer game by comparison. Too perfect.

Maybe it's just because I love cars that have a slight flaw. And a challenge. I'm in love with it, but it would probably kill me.

7. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Love the reviews
    It really makes me want a TDF even more.
    I’m gonna need another job...

sampelligrino, Bundy, Alcav5 and 2 others like this.
  8. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Well written review, I was told never love something that can’t love you back, but I’m like you a fool in love with the Tdf

Themaven likes this.
  9. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Have you driven the 812? If so, in your mind, how do they compare?

nimamd likes this.
  10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I was due to spend a week driving the 812 in March. This was delayed by corona, until July. I am interested in the comparison and will post my observations here.

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    #11 Themaven, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    So I have now spent some time and distance in the 812. I have to hold back a full review for my magazine, but in short, I think this is an all-time great Ferrari in a way none of the recent V12s have been, and it’s not because it’s (maybe) the last N/A V12. It’s also flawed - inevitably.

The 812 seems to me 85% TdF, with the other 15% being an even greater engine, albeit less memorable noise. It also answers a question I had been asking ever since LdM had his way with 12 cyl Ferraris, namely the sacrifice of fun on the altar of drivability. Since the 550 these cars have all been about preserving the driver and everyday drivability, at the expense of purity joy and rawness. I have reviewed them all and they have all been like tamed beasts.

812 is a beast. It bumps and thumps you around, the steering is sharp and understeer almost gone; it doesn’t dance over surface changes like a TdF and isn’t quite so unhinged, but not far off. Like a TdF that has been through an etiquette class - and some muscle training.

With race seats like mine had, it’s also not remotely a GT. Or a Super GT. Its a supercar. It’s a sharper, more alive car to drive than a Huracan EVO RWD (itself fabulous for the price) or a 720S and more soulful than either. It’s also exhausting in the best way, not a car to eat the miles, more a car to kill the road. Ripsnorting, bumpy, uncompromising, and that engine! Sounds fantastic, Would I fit a louder exhaust? Yes because the sound is the half compromise.

I get that people may not love it and there are quite a few on the used market right now. It’s a monster, and can’t play the polite guest like the F12 or 599. That lower gearing and RWS make it feel so much faster than the already crazy fast F12, and those plus suspension mods make it a lot more fun and involving.

I presumed there would be an extra layer of sophistication and refinement also, like FF going to Lusso, but not really. It’s all about more engineering and, interestingly, more involvement. You really need to know what you’re doing to thrash a 812. Isn’t that what Ferraris should be? Wonderful stuff. Looks great too.

The most exciting V12 production Ferrari since the F512M, and equally likely to kill you. Love it. I’d take one over a TdF, and make sure it wore PS4Ss.

Attached Files:

12. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    If you find the TDF dances on not perfect pavement try the bumpy road setting it really calms the inconsistency. I owned a beautiful Pozzi/ Couio 812 and a TDF simultaneously (also a Lusso) and decided to sell the 812 and keep the TDF even though I knew the TDF was taking a price decline. Owning both seemed redundant and I couldn’t part with the TDF it’s just so exhilarating to drive. I also kept the Lusso it’s the best daily driver I’ve owned and wouldn’t know what to replace it with.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ANOpax, LARRYH, Bundy and 5 others like this.
  13. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Loved the reviews.

I really enjoy my 812 , but I think a tdf would be more awesome...

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  14. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #14 m5shiv, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Visually, the TdF is a tour de force. The 812 to me is the exact opposite, especially the rear. Great review, I dream of TdF.

dustman, sampelligrino and 4_Eff_Sake like this.
  15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Very nice reviews thank you for taking the time and sharing. My feeling is similar to yours, except I don't find the car quite so bad on bumpy roads. One thing I have noticed with these cars, if they feel all over the place on a bumpy road, it *could* be the alignment is out. I would summarize the two cars also similarly- the 812 is like a luxury version of the TDF. But there is really nothing like the TDF. You can feel the relative light weight, and the TDF engine feels very mechanical, it actually reminds me a bit in terms of feel and sound of the older V12 engines. Whereas the 812 is also very powerful but feels so refined. The sound is amazing in isolation, but doesn't have the bandwidth of the TDF. No one should feel short changed with an 812, it is a fabulous car. I also think its great looking. I agree with your point that the 812 is less the polite guest like the prior V12s- I think its because its personality is closer to the "lets go go go go go" personality of the 458 Italia. I think that is a good thing. The real GT of the lineup is the Lusso. But the TDF is just a different beast. I think an all time classic.

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    You are right of course that the TdF is something else in terms of rawness and roar. It also looks even more fantastic.

Bumpy road mode did help the TdF but English country road surfaces are loose, damp, and changing, I wondered if not being on Corsa tyres might have made a difference. The 812 I had was also on Pirellis but they were made for Ferrari P Zeros not Corsas. Bumpy road mode in the 812 was still pretty bumpy.

If I could afford a TdF I would have one also. That extra 15% over the 812 is the creme de la creme. Still so impressed at the focus of the 812. 488/F8 progression has not been on the same trajectory.

I drove the 812 back to Ferrari N Europe HQ and got back into my gated 430 Spider to drive home. 430 is usually described as raw, it felt soft and cruisey by comparison, kudos again to the 812. I have a Aston Superleggera this week, and the 812 is in a different league dynamically.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  17. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Great thread. Thanks, Themaven. I love our 812 and hope to eventually add a tdf to the stable. Since I was a kid, I’ve been enamored with the mid 50’s to mid 60’s Ferraris. The tdf strikes me as the perfect modern interpretation of the remarkable cars from that era.

I know we don’t allow such street racing antics anymore but a tdf would fit pretty well in place of the GTO in this de la Maria painting from my study. That’s saying something.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I almost can't sleep... did the same but traded my 812+Speciale for a TDF and kept the Lusso!

All this is very exciting indeed.. a few more sleepless nights ahead :)

19. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Excited for you, Buddy!!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Ok it’s settled.....I need a TDF!

Sent from my 16M

21. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    @Themaven Are you saying the TDF wasn't on the specified Corsa tires? Without a doubt they make a difference. I find the PZero 4 that come on the 812 SF to be quite good tires, but the Corsa are just that much more sticky, but like all higher performance tires, they need more heat into them and I would imagine their breakaway characteristics trade some progressiveness for more grip.

All I can say guys is I wondered if the TDF is worth the hype? I mean, its a lot of hype right? The answer for me is yes, it is absolutely worth the hype!

sampelligrino, Bundy and 4_Eff_Sake like this.
  22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant to say that the TDF was on the Corsas, but that on bumpy, changing and slightly loose English country roads those might have had added responsibility for making simultaneous changes of surface and direction a bit hairy - the car physically losing contact with the road - which is all part of the fun, but I wondered whether MPS4Ss would have a positive effect or kill the joy.

One extra reflection is on the engine. TDF and 812 make more or less the same power, out of similar engines, but the TDF does so in this itchy, hair-trigger way where you feel every millimetre of your foot adds a couple of breaths to the beast. It feels more tuned, even more sensitive. 812 is still crazily hyper by any other V12 standard, but more civilised and you can feel the extra power is from displacement rather than tuning. However, not sanitised in a way that disappointed me with the other recent production V12s, including my own gated manual 575. Someone at Ferrari decided to let the 812 go a bit wilder. Though not as wild as the TDF.

Altoria F, Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  23. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    So well said! Perhaps the roads where you are would benefit from using the other tires? Did you get to drive the car in any other conditions?

24. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

But F40?

plastique999 likes this.
  25. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Sadly my TDF drive was relatively short, compared to the long journeys in the 812. It was on interesting roads I know, fortunately, but UK roads are a challenge for any car..Over in Tuscany, the TDF would have been unbelievable.

Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.