Rubberized Undercoating | FerrariChat

Rubberized Undercoating

Discussion in '308/328' started by craiggo, May 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. craiggo

craiggo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2012
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Craig
    All,

I was watching Car Kings last night on Discovery Channel where they rebuilt Jeff Dunham's Strange Little Van the Brubaker Box. During the episode, they painted what they called a "spray-able water-based stoneguard product that looks a lot like what's on the bottom of our cars. I thought it was interesting and remembered back to all the questions that have come up about this here on F-Chat.

I was able to snag a clip of them doing the installation. I can't figure out the brand as much as I've tried. Maybe someone will recognize the can. My apologies if this is old news and common knowledge now but, I thought it was worth sharing.

Here is the link:

Craig

BLACK HORSE likes this.
  2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    3M rubberized undercoating in an aerosol can, just using a special spraygun to apply it. You can control the roughness of the texture by how near or far you’re away from the panel. Also how quickly you’re moving. :) 3M also has a clear undercoating that you’re able to apply topcoat (paint) over.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The harder, non Rubberized coating is called "Spray Shurtz" IIRC..Eastwood and others have it...

4. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Eastwoods rubberized undercoating is good but it states that its not recommended on areas that are very close to engines or exhaust components, so my question is, would anyone apply this to the frame or on the interior finder panels (wheel wheel) inside the engine compartment of a 308 QV car?

5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  6. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
  7. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    You can contact their office in the US. They’ll get it to you. I’m sure you can probably find it on eBay as well. I’ve had my car touched-up with it.

9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I have used the 3M product extensively through our body shop but would recommend that you use the original product on the Ferrari as the other two above have suggested.

10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's commonly used on trucks around here. The weight increase isn't insignificant, and if breached it will keep moisture in. I wouldn't use it.

11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    We’re talking about a Ferrari not a Dodge Dart. Do your car and yourself a favor and respect the integrity of the car and maintain it with the appropriate materials. A very little digging online and you can easily get the a Dinitrol product.

12. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks guys for your input.

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    By the way, the name of the Dinitrol product is a bit misleading. It actually has a dark brown caramel color. The reason why it often looks black on cars today is because of time, dirt, grime and the darker surface it's applied to.

14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Dinitrol is a wax based product like cosmoline. Both are amber in color, but cosmoline does offer a profession grade in black. After consideration, I went with something I consider better to touch up a few little areas on my 308QV.

I respect my cars and always try to give it better than what the factory had available where I can. Like motor oil, gear oil, brake fluid, oil filters, tires and as modern rust preventatives are now available I will use them over older less effective products.