Door window issue and headlights | FerrariChat

Door window issue and headlights

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ivan Castro, Jun 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ivan Castro

Ivan Castro Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Ivan Castro
    I just took delivery of my 1989 328 GTS last night (MA to FL). I figured I would find some problems, but not so soon! First, the driver side door window will only move up and down about 4 inches, so won’t completely open and won’t completely close. I reviewed all the postings and found one as to how to disassemble the door panel. But not sure if I want to dig and if I can’t actually fix the problem. I read on another thread if there was an access port where you could manually crank the window up or down but I could find no such access port near the door handle. What do you think the problem is? I’m pretty handy so I might just remove the door panel and see what is going on.

The more simple issue is one of the headlights is not very bright. I have found on some of my other cars (1960’s Mustangs) to just do away with the old fashion headlights and get LED lights, they are much much safer at night. However, how do I get the headlights to stay popped up, but not on so I can replace the headlight?

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Windows on older Ferraris tend to get slow because of long runs of wiring and poor connections. When faced with a slow or weak window motor, first thing I do is pull the door panel and run the window up and down with a battery sitting by the door. If it runs as it should I then upgrade the power supply to allow for full battery voltage to run the windows and the switches now just operate relays, not the window motor power. If the direct battery test finds it is still slow, then I'll replace the motor.

Turn on the head lights and disconnect the battery ground plug behind the left head light. It is a big rectangle red plug with a braided cable coming out of it. This will keep the lights up but off.

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  3. Ivan Castro

Ivan Castro Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Ivan Castro
    Fantastic! I have looked high and low on the internet and youtube for how to keep ANY pop up headlight up, but off and could find nothing. I plan on getting LED 7" headlights. There are many on the market, and they seem to be directed at use on Jeeps. I am guessing mainly due to using the same size headlight.

And I will endeavor to disassemble the door panel and see what is going on. Thank you.

4. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    Not sure if 308 and 328 windows are the same. If they are. I wrote an article ages ago that discussed how to make them work better. Instructions on how to remove door panel and the how to service the mechnism. It was called

5. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    continue RELUCTANT 308 Power Windows. See if you can find it on the NET.

6. Ivan Castro

Ivan Castro Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Ivan Castro
    I did not find your actual article, but I found an article where one fellow drilled holes into the door then lubricated the system with WD-40, followed by some back and forth chatter. This lead me to finding an extensive article with pictures on disassembling and repairing the door window mechanism by BIRDMAN308. Very helpful but an quite a procedure for a shade tree mechanic like myself. I will at least take off the door panel so I can perhaps see what is going on. Thanks.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well, that was a dumb idea.

8. Ivan Castro

Ivan Castro Rookie

May 27, 2020
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Ivan Castro
    This has been so gratifying and fun. All the window motor posts have really helped. Especially the step-by-step on how to dismantle the door. It turns out the yellow electronic "box" (door lock?) had moved out of place and was blocking the window AND the window had fallen out of the guide channel on that side. Easy fix, and so satisfying, also saw the courtesy light had burned out and happened to have spare bulbs of that type. All went back together easily. Window works perfectly. Now on to other projects.

Going to replace my weak headlights with LED Delta headlights that I used on my 69 Mustang (7" of course) that made a WORLD of difference. Funny to order headlights from National Parts Depot from my Mustang catalog for a Ferrari. Much brighter and draw a fraction of the power. Will replace all the rusty screws with stainless steel screws. Another easy and gratifying fix.

Have the car up on jack stands and have pulled off all four wheels to take them in and get them done right at a rim repair restoration place. Plenty of tread on the Michelin tires but they are 7 years old. Why skimp now? I ordered some Continental Extremecontact sport tires and new center caps. Almost went for the Pirelli P Zero Trofeo tires, but I'm not going to race the car and the Contis got better ratings (and half the price). Back to my fun and thanks for welcoming me into the Ferrari family.